Cyclones Drafted in 2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I have Kene going to Minnesota in round 5, Soehner to Houston in round 6, Bailey round 7 to Cincinnati and White going undrafted. White did have a good 40 time, but there is a ton of safety depth in this draft. I think Kene's speed and kick return ability will get him drafted. Plus, he doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires (only 143 career rushing attempts). Soehner should also get drafted because there is not much TE talent this year, and he is a solid blocker that can also make some catches when he needs to.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have Kene going to Minnesota in round 5, Soehner to Houston in round 6, Bailey round 7 to Cincinnati and White going undrafted. White did have a good 40 time, but there is a ton of safety depth in this draft. I think Kene's speed and kick return ability will get him drafted. Plus, he doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires (only 143 career rushing attempts). Soehner should also get drafted because there is not much TE talent this year, and he is a solid blocker that can also make some catches when he needs to.
That’d be cool. It’s more about who takes them being a good fit for them than where they go long term. I’d love for the vikings to take kene but as a vikings fan I would be really worried for him that they would screw him up.

Cyclonscin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
That’d be cool. It’s more about who takes them being a good fit for them than where they go long term. I’d love for the vikings to take kene but as a vikings fan I would be really worried for him that they would screw him up.
Well then you'd better hope my Packers take him.... just to be safe. :jimlad:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not that long ago I didn’t think Kene would sniff the NFL, but with that 40 time, I could see someone take a late round flyer on him.

I think the big knock on Breece that could prevent him from being an early pick is he’s probably going to have a TON of carries by the end of his junior year, and the NFL has this weird thing with running back value decreasing as carries increase.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I would guess that no ISU player gets drafted. But maybe someone like Soehner sneaks in to the 7th round.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Peter

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Kene was on zero draft boards. People now know of him because of this speed. You don't get drafted because you're fast and your might be able to return 1-2 kicks every couple of games.
How many KO returns are there now per game? KO are kicked out of end zone and so many punts are fair caught.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Kene was on zero draft boards. People now know of him because of this speed. You don't get drafted because you're fast and your might be able to return 1-2 kicks every couple of games.
How many KO returns are there now per game? KO are kicked out of end zone and so many punts are fair caught.

Kene has really good speed and he's a good KR, plus very little tread. Those things will help him. But, it seems like everyone is tearing up pro days with hand timed 40's this year. My guess is UFA, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he makes a roster.

Reactions: Acylum

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Don't see any of White,Kene,Jaquan, or Soehner going before day 3. Could see all of them getting drafted(maybe not White) could see none of them. Probably best to start paying attention around round 5 if your only stake in the draft is to see where Cyclones go.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Kene might have bought himself a late round pick because of his Pro Day. Especially now with so many teams trying to catch up to the Chiefs in terms of speed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
if Breece has another year like last, he’ll be a mid to late first rounder.

The days of RB being taken in the 1st round are becoming less common. The Chiefs took the 1st RB of the draft last year with the last pick in the 1st round and even then some questioned if that was a reach. Josh Jacobs was the only RB in the 1st round in 2019 at pick 24. I see Hall being a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year if he repeats the kind of season he had. Running backs are just not valued as much in the draft as they used to be. Teams are trying to find franchise QBs and then draft guys on the OL to protect that investment. Defensive linemen and impact secondary players are getting drafted higher lately too then WR and finally RB. RB shelf life is not what it used to be where teams would build an offense around a stud RB and just run the FB right up the gut. Heck I think athletic TE that can be a threat in the passing game may have now surpassed wish lists over RB in the draft.

Teams are trying to invest in the best players at other hard to find positions lately over RB because most teams are using multiple backs and not running the FB as much as they used to.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
For those interested, Dane Brugler of the Athletic posted a big NFL Draft guide and here's where ISU's players landed:

Kene Nwangwu: #16 rated RB, expected 6th-7th rd. pick
Dylan Soehner: #22 rated TE, expected Priority Free Agent
JaQuan Bailey: #38 rated Edge Rusher, expected Priority Free Agent
Lawrence White: #53 rated safety, no draft expectations provided