Cyclone Softball: 33-22, was ranked, first NCAA since ‘88, first NCAA wins

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Factoring in the automatic qualifiers, and going strictly by today's RPI for the rest, the bubble line is ~52.

Committee took 3 teams below RPI 52.

Out:
Delaware (RPI 23), South Carolina (50), Drexel (52)

In:
Kennesaw State (54), Northwestern (64), South Florida (66)

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Sorry for being late for the party. I didn't have time to post last night but I followed the news update and forum closely. Although it's not surprising we are in the tournament based on our record, it's still deserving of a celebration and congratulation. Team48 has done only Team15 did in the entire ISU softball history and will rewrite more history. By the way, 7 out of 10 of our women's athletics programs have or will participate in the NCAA Championships as teams or individuals this season. What an incredible accomplishment especially in a pandemic year!

We have had a good draw in the NCAA tournament regional. We have played Mizzou very tough in the two regular-season meetings (9-8 W neutral site, 2-3 L @Mizzou). We also split with UNI with both games played in Cedar Falls (12-2 W and 2-10 L) but the loss came right after the heartbroken loss vs Drake (we took a 6-0 lead and then allowed Drake to score 7 in the final two innings) and we were at the tail end of 1-11 losing streak. I'm confident we will beat UNI and win our first-ever NCAA tourney game.

I'm very encouraged by our team's performance in the Big12 tournament and I believe they are playing their best softball of the year right now. Our offense is clicking. We have Sami and they don't (I know Coach Fen would say this). If we could find good pitching combinations to match up with our opponents and improve our late-game executions, we can win our region.

Here's more about our team's reaction and interviews.

The appreciations are mutual.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I love our AD!!! Pollard not happy with the Register and let's them know!!!!
The same paper that posted an article about our women's tennis team making the NCAA tournament and said it was the men's tennis team. They had to post this:

Note to readers: The story has been edited from its original publication to correctly state that the Iowa State women's team earned an NCAA Tournament berth.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Our softball team has arrived in Columbia, MO. Sami even made an appearance in the Virtual Cyclone Tailgate Tour last night.

Here's the tournament preview.

Here's a nice article about senior Logan Schaben and her interview.

I got the feeling this team is not just satisfied with making the tournament. They believe they can make some noise.

I found some fun stuff from the team and player's TikTok accounts.

Last edited: