Cyclone Softball: 33-22, was ranked, first NCAA since ‘88, first NCAA wins

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Free admission to softball games is frankly embarrassing for a P5 university. Even high schools charge admission.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Sami is one of the best hitters in the country and has had a tremendous career at Iowa State. It’s so nice to see the team getting better and getting some National recognition which in turn should get Sami a 1st team All-American honor. Stay hot kid!

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Was wondering if you squatted at Lied or the horse barns since the SB complex was behind Lied.
Not sure I am following, but I switched to baseball for my college days memory. Why did I think the SB field used to be in and to the right of the Cap Timm. Was that after it was down behind Lied?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure I am following, but I switched to baseball for my college days memory. Why did I think the SB field used to be in and to the right of the Cap Timm. Was that after it was down behind Lied?

Softball was never behind Lied. Soccer was.

Softball played out at the River Valley diamonds on E 13th before moving to the SW Athletic Complex (in past Cap Timm, next to the old outdoor track).

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

Softball played out at the River Valley diamonds on E 13th before moving to the SW Athletic Complex (in past Cap Timm, next to the old outdoor track).
thanks for clarifying. I playing intramural SB down at the fields on 13th. Lots of memories come back.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

That’s cool, I never knew that. Did they put up snow fences, or did they have a specific field that was “regulation” size prior to moving to the SW Complex?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That’s cool, I never knew that. Did they put up snow fences, or did they have a specific field that was “regulation” size prior to moving to the SW Complex?

It was the 70s -- first years of the program, AIAW, pre-NCAA, pre-Big 8 days. From what I've read, sometimes they played on the north side, and sometimes on the south. Back then, I think just having a place to play might have been considered good enough.

The SW Complex diamond opened during the 1980 season.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Back in the early-mid 80s, North River Valley Park was where we played little league. Snow fences were all we got, but there was a nice softball field I was always jealous of because they had permanent chain link fences and actual dugouts. I'm guessing that is where they played initially. It was eventually converted to a senior league baseball field by the late 80s.

Reactions: ISUCubswin