Cyclone Recruits State Tournament Results

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Also, when are they going to start seeding this wrestling tourney? It's a complete joke the way it is now. You have the #3 kid in the state going up against the #1 kid in the state in the first round. Now that's not only stupid, but completely unfair. I heard there's a case this year where the #1 through #5 ranked kids are all on the same side of the bracket. So if all the best wrestlers from each side of the bracket made the finals, you'd have a #1 vs #6 matchup in the finals.
There is no way they could seed the state tournament fairly. Some schools have very tough competition and others do not. They often don't have common opponents or have never wrestled each other. There are many cases where lower ranked wrestlers are better than those ranked above them, so they couldn't use that either. It would be a seeding nightmare.

Obviously, the finals often aren't the top two at each weight, but that just makes every other round that much more exciting. Every year, it's going to suck for someone, but that's the way it goes. I like it the way it is.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Who did Duggan lose to this year? I know he was hurt for a good part of this season. Just curious because he is a scoring machine for a 220 pounder.

2A State champ Boone McDermott of Dubuque Wahlert beat Duggan twice. Once in the dual, and then at their conference tourney a couple days later. A couple things I would add on those two facing each other

1) Duggan had quite a bit of rust not being able to compete due to his transfer to Iowa
2) He could have been overlooking McDermott not making excuses because..
3) I think McDermott is a solid wrestler. If Duggan came into a match with Boone with no rust and now he knows better than to underestimate Boone, I still think Boone is talented enough to hang with and beat Duggan, just probably not every time.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Didn't see any posts on this yet, but I saw Foca got 2nd at New Jersey state this weekend, and the kid (Michael O'Malley) he lost to in the finals seems to have his number, as he beat Foca at Districts and Regionals as well, and all matches were won pretty handily.

Nothing to be concerned about, as O'Malley is a senior, #6 in the country, going to Drexel next year (who has a handful of really good recruits coming in), and is probably naturally bigger than Foca.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Ohio High School wrestling tournament starts on Thursday. I have linked the bracket for David Carr.

http://www.baumspage.com/ohsaa/brackets/2018/bracket1.pdf

Jake Marsh is #17 in FloRankings, and would be the favorite to meet Carr in the finals. There's another kid from Ohio in the national rankings, but he must be in a different class than Carr.

Would certainly be an upset if Carr lost, but at least he'll get something of a test on his way to (hopefully) another state title.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The last weekend of the official high school in-season is here, and it's truly "the best for last" as Ohio and Pennsylvania conduct their state tournaments. Each event will be held from Thursday through Saturday. Below is the schedule for each event.

Ohio (Divisions I, II, and III): first round championship/consolation -- Thursday starting at 3 p.m., second round championship/consolation -- Friday starting at 10 a.m., semifinals/consolation quarterfinals -- Friday starting at 6:30 p.m., consolation semifinals/medal bouts -- Saturday morning starting at 10 a.m., championship finals -- Saturday evening starting at 5:30 p.m.

Pennsylvania Class AA: championship preliminary and first round/consolation preliminary -- Thursday starting at 9 a.m., championship quarterfinals/first and second round consolation -- Friday starting at 9 a.m., championship semifinals/consolation quarterfinals and semifinals -- Friday evening starting at 7:30 p.m., medal matches -- Saturday afternoon starting at 2 p.m.

Pennsylvania Class AAA: championship preliminary and first round/consolation preliminary -- Thursday afternoon starting at 4 p.m., championship quarterfinals/first and second round consolation -- Friday afternoon starting at 2:15 p.m., championship semifinals/consolation quarterfinals and semifinals -- Saturday starting at 9 a.m., medal matches -- Saturday at 7 p.m.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/19851

Nothing in article concerning David Carr

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Ohio state wrestling tournament

152:
Jordan Hardrick, Huber Hts. Wayne dec. Jonathan List, Medina 9-4
Farouq Muhammed, Elyria dec. Hunter Thornsberry, Newark 5-1
Naeem Russell, Lima Senior dec. Ben Vanadia, Brecksville-Broad. Hts. 10-6
David Carr, Massillon Perry pin Xxavier Weathersby, Cin. Elder 1:48
Jake Marsh, Marysville dec. Boston Dubocq, Findlay 7-3
Drew Wiechers, Centerville dec. Will Schmidt, Cuy. Falls Walsh Jesuit 5-3
Jestin Love, Vandalia Butler pin Alex Farenchak, Painesville Riverside 5:02
Padraic Gallagher, Lakewood St. Edward tech. fall Hunter Barker, Grove City 21-5

Reactions: Cypwr and isumellie

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
152: Farouq Muhammed, Elyria dec. Jordan Hardrick, Huber Hts. Wayne 11-4
David Carr, Massillon Perry tech. fall Naeem Russell, Lima Senior 17-2
Jake Marsh, Marysville maj. dec. Drew Wiechers, Centerville 9-1
Padraic Gallagher, Lakewood St. Edward pin Jestin Love, Vandalia Butler 5:01

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
152: David Carr, Massillon Perry tech. fall Farouq Muhammed, Elyria 18-1
Jake Marsh, Marysville dec. Padraic Gallagher, Lakewood St. Edward 3-2

in the finals

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Kevin Dresser‏ @CYWrestle_KD 4h4 hours ago
Day 2 in Hershey PA and then blasting off to Columbus to watch @Carrchamp win #
1f590-1f3fc.png
! #cyclonehunting
1f32a.png
2708.png
With @mikezadick @DSJ0001 @JackDresser_

DX7WB--W4AADjU1.jpg

0 replies 3 retweets 90 likes

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Awesome for David Carr. Very impressive.

Also, at War at West Gym, Buesgens majored Julian Broderson 12-4, which to me is surprising/exciting/impressive. Broderson has run through the state tournament twice now, and is probably a 3-time state champ after next year.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Awesome for David Carr. Very impressive.

Also, at War at West Gym, Buesgens majored Julian Broderson 12-4, which to me is surprising/exciting/impressive. Broderson has run through the state tournament twice now, and is probably a 3-time state champ after next year.

That is impressive!

I saw that Michael Blockhus moved up not one but two weights to handle Isaac Judge. Nearly a major. Blockhus wasn't really cutting to get to 138. I think Blockhus is a kid that Iowa and ISU will regret not getting.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Who are we targeting in Pennsylvania ?

Not sure who we are targeting in PA. It seems we might be interested in some Liberty, Ohio kids and St Edmonds, Ohio kids.

Looking through top juniors (per Intermat) for these 2 schools
6 Connor Brady Olentangy Liberty Ohio 152
25 Carson Kharchla Olentangy Liberty Ohio 170
35 Sam Dover St. Edward Ohio 152

I have know idea if we are actually recruiting any or all of these guys, but my guess is at least 1 is on the staffs radar

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron