Cyclone Football Twitter

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That Iowa State was top 25 in the country in both offense and defense in a stat and only Alabama, Georgia and Michigan also were. Yes I think that’s good company. Clearly this doesn’t take into account special teams and turnovers and field position, all areas Iowa State was average or worse. But I think it’s notable still.
Alright, personally I see it as depressing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nobody said you have to be happy pal. But giving context I think is helpful for the big picture. You can believe what you’d like.

It’s just strange how our offense puts up decent numbers, but nearly every game, 90% of the people on here are screaming how awful the offense is, how terrible Manning is, how predictable we are, all the false starts, etc, etc.

And I can’t say they are that far off either honestly. It can be extremely frustrating watching our offense.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s just strange how our offense puts up decent numbers, but nearly every game, 90% of the people on here are screaming how awful the offense is, how terrible Manning is, how predictable we are, all the false starts, etc, etc.

And I can’t say they are that far off either honestly. It can be extremely frustrating watching our offense.
You find message board idiocy strange? Have you ever read social media? You should have seen how some of the idiots reacted to the Vikings’ Draft.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Nobody said it was a victory or a loss. You’re not supposed to be thrilled or happy about it. It’s simply a curious little fact. And was posted as such, no value added.

Not sure how someone doesn’t get that. You or Clonedude.
So basically regardless of how respectful you post if you disagree with staff you're total garbage. Nice perspective.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You find message board idiocy strange? Have you ever read social media? You should have seen how some of the idiots reacted to the Vikings’ Draft.

So roughly 90% of this board on game days are idiots? Interesting.

We shouldn’t be questioning the false starts, the predictable play calling, the route tree with no safety valve, the lack of ability to beat a blitz, etc? That’s all stupid to critique?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So roughly 90% of this board on game days are idiots? Interesting.

We shouldn’t be questioning the false starts, the predictable play calling, the route tree with no safety valve, the lack of ability to beat a blitz, etc? That’s all stupid to critique?
You didn’t know this? The game day threads are notorious because people post based on their immediate emotions of the moment. It’s not a reasoned response.

And not 90%, just a very select, vocal crowd.

Or are you angling for another “Dumb” emoji?

Per your second question, most reasoned responses I’ve seen (and they weren’t authored by me) explained that there are far too many factors that the armchair quarterbacks aren’t privy to. Starting with the fact that the situations with play calls are far more fluid and dynamic than the vast majority of us realize.

There have been a whole host of thoughtful answers to the complaints. From people a whole bunch more knowledgeable than me. People like Sage Rosenfels and Jeff Woody. Alas, they don’t seem to get much airtime. I’m not going to try to repeat them all.

Although I can certainly toss in the “20-20 hindsight” on my own authority, if you like?

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So basically regardless of how respectful you post if you disagree with staff you're total garbage. Nice perspective.

Appears so. If you don’t constantly praise and only bring up the positives…. you are not only a terrible fan, but also an idiot.
You didn’t know this? The game day threads are notorious because people post based on their immediate emotions of the moment. It’s not a reasoned response.

And not 90%, just a very select, vocal crowd.

Or are you angling for another “Dumb” emoji?

Per your second question, most reasoned responses I’ve seen (and they weren’t authored by me) explained that there are far too many factors that the armchair quarterbacks aren’t privy to. Starting with the fact that the situations with play calls are far more fluid and dynamic than the vast majority of us realize.

There have been a whole host of thoughtful answers to the complaints. From people a whole bunch more knowledgeable than me. People like Sage Rosenfels and Jeff Woody. Alas, they don’t seem to get much airtime. I’m not going to try to repeat them all.

Although I can certainly toss in the “20-20 hindsight” on my own authority, if you like?

You’re right, I’m not a true fan and have no idea what I’m talking about. I deserve the criticism for questioning the offense. My bad.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Who cares what the stats say…. this year was a big failure in terms of expectations…. that’s not even debatable.

And despite some of our offensive stats…. our offense was absolutely inept way too often this season.

Go ahead and rip away, but this team underperformed big time.

Want some good, positive news? This year’s team is going to surpass expectations and finish with a better record than last year’s team.
This isn't just you, a lot of people say it; but you are saying something that you are debating with others "isn't debatable". Yes it is, you are literally having a debate about it right here.

Now there may be stronger cases and weaker cases, but anyone can take a position and debate the merits of that position.

So many people use "isn't debatable" or "period, end of story" as if it makes their case stronger. It doesn't, it simply says that you are trying to shut down any debate on the subject. It doesn't do that, at all.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Pretty tame dunk for TJ Tampa.

Back at the NFL Draft, his dad was laughing at Derek Stingley’s measurables—which included a 38 1/2” vertical. “Just wait, NFL!” is what I remember him saying.

Of course, Stingley went #3 overall.

T.J. has a lot to put together this Fall.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
The fact that last year was, by all accounts, a “disappointment” / below expectations/ letdown goes to show how far we have come as a program.

With the other years that have been mentioned (‘02, ‘05, etc.) the expectations weren’t very high to start the season, and we weren’t coming off the best season in school history with a TON of returning talent. We started out ok, but never realized our full potential. It also represents the next challenge for us as a program - to learn how to consistently win when you are the hunted. Playing with high expectations. Given the company we are with in Blum’s stat shows you how close we really were if a couple things went the other way.
It also shows how razor thin our margin of error is/was.

The other years that have been brought up….. we started out, got hot, which elevated expectations immediately only long enough to have Lucy pull the football on us and we fall on our hind parts.

Apples and oranges.

Reactions: cycloneML

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
The fact that last year was, by all accounts, a “disappointment” / below expectations/ letdown goes to show how far we have come as a program.

With the other years that have been mentioned (‘02, ‘05, etc.) the expectations weren’t very high to start the season, and we weren’t coming off the best season in school history with a TON of returning talent. We started out ok, but never realized our full potential. It also represents the next challenge for us as a program - to learn how to consistently win when you are the hunted. Playing with high expectations. Given the company we are with in Blum’s stat shows you how close we really were if a couple things went the other way.
It also shows how razor thin our margin of error is/was.

The other years that have been brought up….. we started out, got hot, which elevated expectations immediately only long enough to have Lucy pull the football on us and we fall on our hind parts.

Apples and oranges.
I was surprised that our Vegas over / under win total is 7.5. To your point, maybe we have a program at this point in time.

Reactions: Aclone