*** Cyclone Fanatic Sports Movie Tournament: Round of 64 ***

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I haven’t thought about the movie Brink in decades. A true classic. Now I want to watch it.
Maybe we do a Disney Channel original movie bracket. Smart House, Brink, Luck of the Irish, Zenon, Halloweentown.

There’s some bangers and that’s just scratching the surface. Would probably need some younger people on the committee since the first one was like 1998

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Maybe we do a Disney Channel original movie bracket. Smart House, Brink, Luck of the Irish, Zenon, Halloweentown.

There’s some bangers and that’s just scratching the surface. Would probably need some younger people on the committee since the first one was like 1998
Definitely need someone other than me, I recognized 0 of those .

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
For those that say because CF age skews older that older stuff will always win out the in progress upset of Raging Bull is proving that theory wrong.
Yeah, but the movie that is beating it is from 2002. I was 12 when it came out, and I've been out of college for over a decade. I wouldn't call it particularly new.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah, but the movie that is beating it is from 2002. I was 12 when it came out, and I've been out of college for over a decade. I wouldn't call it particularly new.
It's a best of all time tourney. One of the things that makes a movie in any genre a best of all time is longevity and the ability to hold up over many years. That makes it tough to lean too heavily on movies that have only been out there for a small handful of years. That said, the committee did try to include as many movies that would be considered "recent", from the 2010s and later, as we could.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
It's a best of all time tourney. One of the things that makes a movie in any genre a best of all time is longevity and the ability to hold up over many years. That makes it tough to lean too heavily on movies that have only been out there for a small handful of years. That said, the committee did try to include as many movies that would be considered "recent", from the 2010s and later, as we could.
Not only that, but movies aren't exactly good nowadays. It's mostly remakes, reboots, biopics, and comic book movies. I see maybe one new movie per year that I like. It's not just the writing, I feel like acting has gone way down hill also. We live in an age where you don't have to have any talent to become an actor.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not only that, but movies aren't exactly good nowadays. It's mostly remakes, reboots, biopics, and comic book movies. I see maybe one new movie per year that I like. It's not just the writing, I feel like acting has gone way down hill also. We live in an age where you don't have to have any talent to become an actor.

Hasn't this been the formula about the whole time?

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
And that still happens.

Many in that era were also reboots, remakes, superhero movies and biopics with original ideas sprinkled in.
I disagree with "many." Yes, there were some movies like that being made, but not as much as now. I can probably list over 1,000 original movies from the 80s alone, just off the top of my head (because I'm a nerd). Even the C and D list movies from then are better than half the crap that is being made today. I do admit that some of the biopics being made now are pretty good, but I do dislike 99% of the remakes.

I did enjoy the IT remakes. I loved the originals, but they were made for TV movies, so the special effects were not great and overall I knew that the movie could be made better. But there are many, many movies that are perfect the way they are and should never be touched.

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Outside of The Sandlot and Remember the Titans, my favorite sports movies are mostly low seeds or not included. Not expecting much from my picks.

7: Any Given Sunday
10: Days of Thunder
12: BASEketball
10: Kingpin
9: Varsity Blues

Not listed:
8 Seconds
Mystery, Alaska
Rush

Reactions: demoncore1031

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Outside of The Sandlot, my favorite sports movies are mostly low seeds or not included. Not expecting much from my picks.

7: Any Given Sunday
10: Days of Thunder
12: BASEketball
10: Kingpin
9: Varsity Blues

Not listed:
8 Seconds
Mystery, Alaska
Rush
BASEketball, Kingpin, and White Men Can't Jump are my favorites from the lower seeds. Those are all in my top 10 sports movies of all time.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
BASEketball, Kingpin, and White Men Can't Jump are my favorites from the lower seeds. Those are all in my top 10 sports movies of all time.

****, I had White Men Can’t Jump on my list of lower seeds to put on the list but forget after jumping pages.