*** Cyclone Fanatic Sports Movie Tournament: Round of 64 ***

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Watching Vision Quest, All the Right Moves, and Cinderella Man go down in this opening round is going to hurt my heart.

Yeah Vision Quest in a wrestling state should be higher, also just the production of the movie is above average. It’d be in the running for best soundtrack of any of these movies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not complaining at all because this is cool and took a lot of work…

But my own #1 seeds and in order purely as a “sports” movie.

Hoosiers
Bull Durham
Remember the Titans
Major League

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Hoosiers
Bull Durham
Remember the Titans
Major League
Yep, putting personal preferences aside during seeding wasn't easy. I had The Natural as a #1 seed on my list, and had several on my list that didn't make the final 64... Running Brave, Searching for Bobby Fischer, The Great White Hype, Goon, One on One, Little Giants, The Fighter. I'm 52 so many of my picks skewed older, and I'm a lifelong boxing fan so I had more of those on my list. But we wanted to make it reflective of what was more deserving/popular among the masses and I know a lot of mine aren't.

Reactions: demoncore1031

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep, putting personal preferences aside during seeding wasn't easy. I had The Natural as a #1 seed on my list, and had several on my list that didn't make the final 64... Running Brave, Searching for Bobby Fischer, The Great White Hype, Goon, One on One, Little Giants, The Fighter. I'm 52 so many of my picks skewed older, and I'm a lifelong boxing fan so I had more of those on my list. But we wanted to make it reflective of what was more deserving/popular among the masses and I know a lot of mine aren't.

I would have the natural and raging bull easily in top 4 for just overall quality movie.

Hoosiers is probably the one that checks the box for pure sports movie but also is just outstanding timeless filmmaking. I don’t know what if any Oscar nominations it got but it should have had some across several categories.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I’m embarrassed by how many matchups I had to abstain from voting in because I have not seen either movie. Now…I haven’t seen them for a reason though. Most of the ones I haven’t seen looked cheesy as F, so I couldn’t bring myself to watching them in the first place :D
In that case I defer to if they have an actor(s) that I can't stand

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I would have the natural and raging bull easily in top 4 for just overall quality movie.

Hoosiers is probably the one that checks the box for pure sports movie but also is just outstanding timeless filmmaking. I don’t know what if any Oscar nominations it got but it should have had some across several categories.

Oscar Nominations:
Best Supporting Actor (Hopper)
Best Music/Score

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Hoosiers
Bull Durham
Remember the Titans
Major League
I absolutely love Major League. My one beef with it is how weirdly they jammed that love story into it. Everything else about it is hysterical awesomeness.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I absolutely love Major League. My one beef with it is how weirdly they jammed that love story into it. Everything else about it is hysterical awesomeness.

Part of me wants to dismiss it as “low brow” then you glance at the Oakland A’s and it’s like a realistic Ken Burns documentary. Unlike some other hilarious movies on the list it’s also just a good sports movie.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Rene Russo has been oddly shoved into quite a few movies. She must have had some dirt on on a few people back in the day. She is married to a screenwriter, I suppose.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't entirely disagree, but she was smokin'...

04327bd25b39a02e8ade19ec0169676d16c57244.gifv

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Rene Russo has been oddly shoved into quite a few movies. She must have had some dirt on on a few people back in the day. She is married to a screenwriter, I suppose.

I like the love story and her in Tin Cup but not really in the other two. I like that movie in general too, it’s like golf Bull Durham . I think the committee did well not to include the other baseball movie she’s in.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I don't entirely disagree, but she was smokin'...

04327bd25b39a02e8ade19ec0169676d16c57244.gifv

Oh my, that hair.

Shame that Oscar winners like Raging Bull, Million Dollar Baby and Chariots of Fire are going to get smoked, but I think they were seeded properly given the quality of the films. But BASEketball > Million Dollar Baby? LOL, only on CF.