Cyclone Club Memberships - Football Benefits / Paved Parking

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Is today the deadline for joining/renewing Cyclone Club memberships for football benefits?

If so, what was the parking situation last year? Due to having small children, I let my football tickets and Cyclone Club donation expire a couple years ago. I am looking to start again. I know the minimum donation to get into a paved parking lot is $500, but just wondered whether everyone at that level actually got a parking pass in a paved lot.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Yes, today is the last day. $500 level has always gotten me into paved but I can't say for certain everyone does. My guess would be yes. And if you get G6 and I get a paved lot I would be willing to make a deal.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I called to get where i rank on the list of 500 donors. I felt confident after knowing that.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
If you are new at the $500 level you will likely be in G6 unless there is a significant dropoff in renewals. We were in G6 last year and actually liked it, lots of green space nearby for kids to play.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I donate at the Gold Level (above $1,000) and have for about 5 years. We are now located in S4. I think you will need to donate at least $100 to be guaranteed a spot in a paved lot.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Why do you want paved parking? My group has always qualified for a paved donor spot, but have never taken advantage of it. I've never seen any good reason to go that route and anytime I posed the question here, no one is very convincing. Instead, we always grab a general parking spot in the grass lots along S 16th St. This provides us several advantages IMO over paved parking options.

1) You’re not stuck in the congestion post-game to the extent that you are on the paved lots.
2) It is a lot cooler on grass during the early season tailgating
3) You generally have more room to tailgate
4) You can drive in with several vehicles and thus secure several spots together for group tailgating
5) Often get to meet fans from other schools that are tailgating nearby

Unless you’re right next to the stadium, donor lots are way overrated IMO.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Why do you want paved parking? My group has always qualified for a paved donor spot, but have never taken advantage of it. I've never seen any good reason to go that route and anytime I posed the question here, no one is very convincing. Instead, we always grab a general parking spot in the grass lots along S 16th St. This provides us several advantages IMO over paved parking options.

1) You’re not stuck in the congestion post-game to the extent that you are on the paved lots.
2) It is a lot cooler on grass during the early season tailgating
3) You generally have more room to tailgate
4) You can drive in with several vehicles and thus secure several spots together for group tailgating
5) Often get to meet fans from other schools that are tailgating nearby

Unless you’re right next to the stadium, donor lots are way overrated IMO.

Let me know how that goes for you when it rains.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I donate at the Gold Level (above $1,000) and have for about 5 years. We are now located in S4. I think you will need to donate at least $100 to be guaranteed a spot in a paved lot.

Gold barely gets you into S4 as well.. Might require 2500 this year, and when the SEZ gets done that might be a $5k lot if it still exists.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I've been a gold donor for 3 years, I had been in S4 (which was awesome) but last year got bumped to C4. If you don't come with a group of people you know, and don't care if you park right next to the same people every time, the paved lots are great. Also, if you are patient and wait about 45 minutes after the game, getting out of the donor lots is a breeze. I know that may not be easy with small children, but just let them throw the ball around a little longer after the game gets over and traffic clears out easily.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Let me know how that goes for you when it rains.

Seriously? How often do you think that has been an issue for us in the 10+ yrs we've done the grass lots? Considering the 5 advantages I listed, that should be such a low concern it should barely equate into a person's decision making process.

Someone else mentioned the distance of the walk - it is really not that much longer than some of the paved lots. In the end, what do you need that extra 3-5 minutes for? Get to your car and wait behind the congestion sooner?

Again, unless you are right up against Jack Trice, the concept of "donor lots" is really an advantage in name only.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think we just like not having to worry about mud, shorter walk, and not having to cross Elwood/University.

I've addressed the first two issues in my other comment and to the third, there is a crossing guard stationed before and after the game. Another, non-issue in reality.

Seriously, try the grass lots for a season, I thnk you'll be pleasantly surprised. That first game you're able to park three vehicle side-by-side and enjoy bags on the grass, you'll join many of us that won't go back to paved lots anytime soon.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Seriously? How often do you think that has been an issue for us in the 10+ yrs we've done the grass lots? Considering the 5 advantages I listed, that should be such a low concern it should barely equate into a person's decision making process.

Someone else mentioned the distance of the walk - it is really not that much longer than some of the paved lots. In the end, what do you need that extra 3-5 minutes for? Get to your car and wait behind the congestion sooner?

Again, unless you are right up against Jack Trice, the concept of "donor lots" is really an advantage in name only.

In 1994 not only did we NOT win a game, but it rain/snowed for every home game that entire season. No joke.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
In 1994 not only did we NOT win a game, but it rain/snowed for every home game that entire season. No joke.

Didn't realize this as it was before we has season tix.

In the spirit of full disclosure, 2008 (year of the floods), parking was an issue on the grass lots for a couple games but we made do.

So I’ll revise my statement. For those that make plans around 100 year flood rain cycles and once in a blue moon weather patterns, donor lots hold a clear advantage over the grass lots. Any perceived positive advantage I listed earlier for the grass lots should be discounted or ignored completely.

Might I also suggest you’ll probably also add value to your life by being sure to purchase the undercoating treatment next time you buy a car and also be sure to get the extended warranty on your next purchase at Best Buy. Can never be too cautious!

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
What does grass parking cost? I am getting tired of the walk from the towers.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Never had an issue parking in G7 (grass lot). Parking pass is also cheaper than paying to park every game (assuming you are a Cyclone Club member not matter what).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yeah....the grass lots are no bargain. $20 last couple years, so to be fair, you are not getting the advantages I listed at no cost. That would be a reason to go donor parking if the other advantages mean nothing to you. That isn't the case for our group.

We split the cost amoung our group, so makes it more reasonable.