Cyclone 2014 class

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Not trying to be a troll, but let me put things into perspective for everyone who is overly optimistic about these players.

Anyone under 175 lbs will probably redshirt (this is the Big 12, not the Sun Belt) that takes out Wesley, Salters, Peavy and Ruth for the season.

Mike Warren's major contributions to his stats for his high school career were his speed and his line which consisted of a five star for the 2015 class.

DLC led his team to a 2-8 record for his senior season. In QB's, wins are the biggest statistic.

I see Lazard, Seonbuchner, Johnson, Kodanko and Syria as the ones who can contribute early because of either sheer talent or what they bring to the table.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Lazard is the most physically gifted and there are surely snaps as a backup to Brundage and Montgomery.

However, RB may offer the greatest possibility for snaps. Wimberly is smaller and my fear is he will get worn down with more than 15-20 touches per game. That means 10-15 snaps for Nealy, Warren, Syria, etc. The bulk of those snaps will go to an every down back, but there are:probably 5 carries a game for a short yardage/goal line back.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
OK let's get a few things straight here...
You're right Wimberly is probably only suited for 15-20 carries per game. You're correct that Nealy will get a healthy dose of attempts as well. But when you mention Syria and Warren as the next men in, you seem to ignore the fact that there are 2 other upper class men rb's in front of them (Standard & Tyler Brown) unless you know something we don't.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
OK let's get a few things straight here...
You're right Wimberly is probably only suited for 15-20 carries per game. You're correct that Nealy will get a healthy dose of attempts as well. But when you mention Syria and Warren as the next men in, you seem to ignore the fact that there are 2 other upper class men rb's in front of them (Standard & Tyler Brown) unless you know something we don't.

Also add Justin Webster to the group as he has switched from linebacker to RB, where he was pretty impressive in high school. At 6 foot, 225 lbs he will likely challenge Standard to fill the role Woody had last year. I just highly doubt Syria or Warren playing as Freshmen. IMO they are destined to redshirt.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This is what Wimberly's backup is capable of :yes: :

[video=youtube;UONjOCc7a08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UONjOCc7a08[/video]

Makes me excited for football. Side note: Those WRs were blocking well.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Thought JW moved from linebacker to DE, was he then moved to RB from DE, or am I wrong about DE?

Both Madison and White moved from linebacker to DE. For Madison it's probably his more natural position as he's an speed rusher anyway.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Syria and Warren will likely redshirt IMO and it would be silly if they didn't.

Wimberly and Nealy will be far and away our best two backs, but the new RB coach openly said Tyler Brown will compete for carries with his speed.

As for a 'power' back, I don't know. You would think Standard would be the short yardage/goal line guy but I don't know. IMO being a slippery runner (Nealy, Wimberly) can be as effective as power in short yardage.

Justin Webster is a wild card. The kid possesses nice size at RB (6'0 222) and if I remember correctly he was an elite sprinter in high school and played RB.

If the True Freshman are good enough to take carries away from Nealy/Wimberly then I'm all for it, but that is highly unlikely. Redshirt em'.