CWC letter & CRTC info

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
header.jpg

Cyclone Wrestling Club members,

This is a time of change for Iowa State Wrestling. Cyclone Wrestling Club was established in 1980 to provide an opportunity for post-graduate wrestlers to remain at Iowa State to train for international competition and also to mentor Iowa State’s collegiate wrestlers. Cyclone Wrestling Club also provided social opportunities for fans with tailgates and other events.

Today’s potential collegiate wrestlers and post-graduate wrestlers are looking to train at a Regional Training Center. Iowa State, with the leadership of new Iowa State Head Coach Kevin Dresser, has established the Cyclone Regional Training Center, which is a 501(c)(3) organization. This new regional training center will have top post-graduate wrestlers training in its facility. With this change in organization Cyclone Wrestling Club will no longer be providing these opportunities to post-graduate wrestlers. In addition, Iowa State has taken over the social events, such as tailgates and post-meet socials which Cyclone Wrestling Club has provided in the past.

After these changes Cyclone Wrestling Club, as a separate entity, will become inactive. We are excited about this new direction for Iowa State Wrestling. This is the new way to bring Iowa State Wrestling to the top of the collegiate wrestling world.

Put your full support for Iowa State Wrestling behind the Cyclone Regional Training Center! Go to the Cyclone Regional Training Center website: www.cyclonertc.org

You could also contact Dan Dresser, Director of Cyclone Regional Training Center by email at [email protected] or by US Mail: Dan Dresser, C/o Cyclone RTC, 3103 NW 89th Avenue, Ankeny, IA 50023

Thank you for your support!
Cyclone Wrestling Club Board of Directors

Message to CWC members from ISU Head Coach Kevin Dresser

First, I want to thank you for all your years of service to Cyclone Wrestling. Your work and dedication have given me a head start here since I took over as Head Coach.

I also want to thank you for understanding what we have to do to be competitive within our organization in today's world of Division I wrestling. One of our most important tasks now is to build our Cyclone Regional Training Center, and I am counting on you to come together with other ISU wrestling fans to support the C-RTC. My goal is to reach 100 donors to the C-RTC by June 1st. Please get on board and visit our website here -- https://www.cyclonertc.org/donate and donate today!

Again, thank you for your support --I look forward to seeing all of you in Hilton in November!

Coach Dresser

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would like to thank all the hard work and countless hours that the CWC board members have put in. I don't think many (including myself) understand the number of hours that the board has put in for socials, golf outings, Nichols Open, etc.

Thank you and I am glad I can call many of them friends!

GET64CY

May 20, 2009
www.cyclonewrestlingclub.org
header.jpg

Cyclone Wrestling Club members,

This is a time of change for Iowa State Wrestling. Cyclone Wrestling Club was established in 1980 to provide an opportunity for post-graduate wrestlers to remain at Iowa State to train for international competition and also to mentor Iowa State’s collegiate wrestlers. Cyclone Wrestling Club also provided social opportunities for fans with tailgates and other events.

Today’s potential collegiate wrestlers and post-graduate wrestlers are looking to train at a Regional Training Center. Iowa State, with the leadership of new Iowa State Head Coach Kevin Dresser, has established the Cyclone Regional Training Center, which is a 501(c)(3) organization. This new regional training center will have top post-graduate wrestlers training in its facility. With this change in organization Cyclone Wrestling Club will no longer be providing these opportunities to post-graduate wrestlers. In addition, Iowa State has taken over the social events, such as tailgates and post-meet socials which Cyclone Wrestling Club has provided in the past.

After these changes Cyclone Wrestling Club, as a separate entity, will become inactive. We are excited about this new direction for Iowa State Wrestling. This is the new way to bring Iowa State Wrestling to the top of the collegiate wrestling world.

Put your full support for Iowa State Wrestling behind the Cyclone Regional Training Center! Go to the Cyclone Regional Training Center website: www.cyclonertc.org

You could also contact Dan Dresser, Director of Cyclone Regional Training Center by email at [email protected] or by US Mail: Dan Dresser, C/o Cyclone RTC, 3103 NW 89th Avenue, Ankeny, IA 50023

Thank you for your support!
Cyclone Wrestling Club Board of Directors

Message to CWC members from ISU Head Coach Kevin Dresser

First, I want to thank you for all your years of service to Cyclone Wrestling. Your work and dedication have given me a head start here since I took over as Head Coach.

I also want to thank you for understanding what we have to do to be competitive within our organization in today's world of Division I wrestling. One of our most important tasks now is to build our Cyclone Regional Training Center, and I am counting on you to come together with other ISU wrestling fans to support the C-RTC. My goal is to reach 100 donors to the C-RTC by June 1st. Please get on board and visit our website here -- https://www.cyclonertc.org/donate and donate today!

Again, thank you for your support --I look forward to seeing all of you in Hilton in November!

Coach Dresser
I thought that this day might come. I understand the reasons, but it still is a sad day for me. I had a lot of great memories during my time on the CWC Board. A big thanks go out to all the former board members, wrestlers and members for their dedication and participation.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Glad they finally clarified what's happening with the CWC vs. the C-RTC. Am I reading it right that the non-senior level wrestler related parts of the CWC are getting folded in to the general AD fundraising arm?

Given the lists in the CWC newsletters it has always been clear that a big chunk of donors were between the $100-$250 level. So it would be nice if the C-RTC allowed for less than $250 donations online.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is this the first notification being given to CWC donors? If so, it seems like a personal phone call by someone on staff would have been a better way to transition them to the new system. I would think they could have gotten to 100 donors pretty easily behind the scenes. Even if there are personal issues in which donors might really like members of the CWC board, I would still have to think almost all of them are Cyclone fans at heart and would want to support the new direction of the program.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The $100 level would be a nice addition. If you email Dan or Kevin Dresser or Robin Wilson, I am sure that would be addressed.

You can still mail a check directly to Dan Dresser.

Also I see a couple guys that haven't donated to Cyclone wrestling for a while back on board and a former Hawk wrestler.

Help Kevin get to 100 donors by tomorrow. We have a ways to go.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is this the first notification being given to CWC donors? If so, it seems like a personal phone call by someone on staff would have been a better way to transition them to the new system. I would think they could have gotten to 100 donors pretty easily behind the scenes. Even if there are personal issues in which donors might really like members of the CWC board, I would still have to think almost all of them are Cyclone fans at heart and would want to support the new direction of the program.

I think at the 1st meeting in Ames, that after the social, there was a meeting between Dresser and CWC. I know some feelings got hurt and can understand because of the amount of time they put in the program, but we need the CRTC and CWC gave us a huge stepping stone to get this program rolling. Now we need the fans on board!

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Not sure you have this captured the difference correctly. C-RTC is raising money for Senior level athletes...period! This is what the CWC did but the CWC also operated the socials and other functions. The socials are now ran by the athletic department. The CWC never paid for ISU athletes to compete or train. This was handled under the wrestling budget which is still the same.

As far as donating, you can donate whatever amount you want as there are no longer "material" incentive to donate at a certain level. CWC had incentives like shirts, caps, free golfing etc. based on the amount of donations. Thus, it wasn't a 100% deductible on taxes but close. Now 100% of your donation is tax deductible but you will not receive any "goods" for your donation. IMO, this is a great change as I want 100% of my donation to go toward the Senior level athletes and training.

Also, I'm sure they will add lower level option later but KD's focus is on attracting larger donors. The C-RTC needs to raise near a million dollar per year to compete with the top teams. You are not going to get there by worrying about the $100 donors. I understand not everyone can afford or wants to donate $250+ but the base of the C-RTC will not be the $100-$250 donors.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think at the 1st meeting in Ames, that after the social, there was a meeting between Dresser and CWC. I know some feelings got hurt and can understand because of the amount of time they put in the program, but we need the CRTC and CWC gave us a huge stepping stone to get this program rolling. Now we need the fans on board!

Like it or not, Dresser is the future of Cyclone wrestling. And I would think that most fans see it. Hope they all stay on board and others come on board to support him.

P.S. I tried to start a booster club for another non-revenue sport years ago and got shut down by the Athletic Department. I think they want all fund-raising to be under their control. So this may be an initiative of the AD.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
CRTC could use some more money. After this weekend, they want to sit down with Kyven and try and get him to stay in Ames. We need fans to set up and donate what ever amount they can to CRTC.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CRTC could use some more money. After this weekend, they want to sit down with Kyven and try and get him to stay in Ames. We need fans to set up and donate what ever amount they can to CRTC.

Kyven seems to be really smart, hard-working, and socially pleasant. I could see him being a great recruiter and presence for the club. Plus, he is a second generation Cyclone! Hope we can keep him in Ames.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Keeping Kyven is Coach Dresser's top priority for the CRTC. That is why any donation right now will help. Because as soon as this weekend is done, they want to sit down with Kyven and present the best offer they can.

Reactions: csteve

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

Is it me or has the momentum really died?

There was so much buzz in the national wrestling community around the ISU program when the staff was announced..but since then, it has been really quiet. Hardly any recruiting/transfer news..definitely not big name recruiting news..no rumors of who they are targeting for the CRTC (other than retaining Kyven).

I know that doesn't mean people can't still donate, but it is always harder when the buzz/excitement isn't as high.

Ssince our hires were announced, Iowa has been stealing the show..they are in on a ton of recruits and huge name transfers and seem to be contiguously gaining pub.

It seems to me the staff needs to give some of the fringe fanbase something to get excited about again..

Just my two cents..

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I understand what you are saying, especially about Iowa. Look what they raised off of a thread on Hawkeye Report for HWC, $128,000. Hawks got a bigger financial boost off of our staff being hired than we did.

We have about 70 donors on Cyclone RTC and Dan Dresser, Kevin Dresser, Derek St John, Mike Zadick, Brent Metcalf and Robin Wilson are 6 of them (Staff). Then about 6 or 7 former Iowa State wrestlers and even a former Hawk wrestler (Jeff Kerber).

We are after a couple transfers and we are in on a couple pretty big junior recruits.

But if the fan base can't help financially to get top level guys into the CRTC, the staff's hands are tied.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Care to share who the transfers and recruits we are after? I know it maybe doesn't make a difference but the more us fans can talk about these things and build up year round conversations, the better. I know it is just a message board but like you just said, look at what HR did for the HWC in just one forum thread..

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Degen of VT is one. From Montana and was a true freshman last year. Will be a 149 pounder.
Another 149 pounder is also going to visit this month.

Recruits, the 3 I am pretty confident are Brody Teske, David Carr, and Sammy Sasso.

I think a couple other Iowa kids are on the radar as well as a couple more mid to upper weight guys.

The one thing about Iowa, is that they think everybody is looking at them and I don't think that is necessarily true.

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I sent what I could last week... maybe we need a new thread like the Iowa board had CRTC needs help to beat Iowa or something any thoughts on that ?

Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The CRTC website also has the $20/month plan if $250 at once is to much.

Any amount helps. Just mail to

Donate
Ways you can donate:

Cyclone RTC
c/o Dan Dresser
3103 NW 89th Ave.
Ankeny, IA 50023