CW Pod: A conversation with Jeff Van Gundy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Great job! So many things that I would like to ask him but I get the balancing act. Hope you can get him a few more times this year.

He had some legendary players on his Knicks teams.
Ewing, Starks, Larry Johnson, Oak, Camby, Houston, Sprewell.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Thinks TJ will win a national championship at Iowa State.

Tells people to temper expectations of young players regardless of recruiting ranking, especially next year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thinks TJ will win a national championship at Iowa State.

Tells people to temper expectations of young players regardless of recruiting ranking, especially next year.
I've been thinking the latter myself. Fantastic class, but there will be some young guys in key roles, and increased talent doesn't always make up for lost experience. With that said, I have no doubt that this coaching staff will have them playing at their best.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I've been thinking the latter myself. Fantastic class, but there will be some young guys in key roles, and increased talent doesn't always make up for lost experience. With that said, I have no doubt that this coaching staff will have them playing at their best.
I'm in this same boat as well. We are so experienced now. It isn't hard to see us taking a step backwards next season. The talent level will rise, but the drop-off in experience could offset that. Hopefully just a little growing pain along the way.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The success of true freshman so far in these first two years gives me confidence. Just might be a bit bumpier to start.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
great interview, and appreciate the pod with JVG! An opportunity not wasted from his visit to Hilton!

Reactions: t-noah

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I was significantly more worried about next year before seeing how Lipsey has looked this year. When you have a great point guard with some experience plugging in talent around him becomes so much more manageable. Not that there won’t be growing pains with a younger roster, but the degree of difficulty won’t be as high as it would be otherwise.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
One thing I noticed is JVG saying that Coach Otz has adapted his coaching and style of play to match his players at each of his three stops. To me this indicates great knowledge and lack of ego - not I'm going to do it my way.

So we may see something a little different next year in style of play. Or maybe not!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: t-noah and 0u812

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
100% agree and have thought the same. Tamin is probably a rare exception in terms of a freshman that doesn't seem like a freshman 80% of the time.

I saw on Sportscenter top 10 a college guy did the "eastbay" dunk and i thought "well heck, we have a high schooler coming that does that" and then reminded myself that next year Omaha won't walk in and dominate and that's ok...same with the other guys. Guys like Rob (ducks other posters throwing objects at me) and Caleb (if they use their covid year) that can be essential on a team full of talent.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
"What's next?"

"We'll see."

And we'll do it with high integrity and standards.

Loved the pod, and listening to JVG!

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
100% agree and have thought the same. Tamin is probably a rare exception in terms of a freshman that doesn't seem like a freshman 80% of the time.

I saw on Sportscenter top 10 a college guy did the "eastbay" dunk and i thought "well heck, we have a high schooler coming that does that" and then reminded myself that next year Omaha won't walk in and dominate and that's ok...same with the other guys. Guys like Rob (ducks other posters throwing objects at me) and Caleb (if they use their covid year) that can be essential on a team full of talent.

Except it's quite possible that he could. Not many players have a good shot at that, but Omaha is one that does.

I'm pretty bullish about next year - as others have said. Lipsey cures a lot of the anxiety about next year. The big question mark remains w/ the bigs.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Except it's quite possible that he could. Not many players have a good shot at that, but Omaha is one that does.

I'm pretty bullish about next year - as others have said. Lipsey cures a lot of the anxiety about next year. The big question mark remains w/ the bigs.
Oh, don't get me wrong....i would LOVE if he is an immediate impact/All Big 12 type of talent. First game in November vs a scrub team he'll either dominate....or have 7 pts....and either way we'll freak out! LOL

But yes, I also do know that he likely could be a 1 and done....which if he is likely will come in and make an immediate impact.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I soak up about everything Cyclone releted out there, but I had no idea about JVG and TJ. Awesome stuff!