CW: Nice groove?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
CW says the basketball team is in a nice groove. I don't know about that. They barely win at home to a .500 Texas team that has talent to be sure, but maybe doesn't play that well together. I guess maybe he's talking about the effort at Baylor in combination with the Texas game. But Baylor went on to win at home over OSU by only 4, which sort of put our game with them in a different perspective. Baylor played lights out at the beginning of the season, and yes, I know they are ranked No. 1 right now, but I don't think they are playing at the level they were earlier in the year. Either they've slowed down, or everyone else has caught up to them.

So nice groove or delusional homerism? I guess I'll let you make the call, but I know which way I'm leaning.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
85e45174262d9d3537e358e6dc8e79564d8e3bdd0434602f5434d0602077d4bb.jpg

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
CW! How dare you think anything positive when Bipolarcy disagrees with you! What were you thinking?

One too many Fuzzy's Tacos I think.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
CW says the basketball team is in a nice groove. I don't know about that. They barely win at home to a .500 Texas team that has talent to be sure, but maybe doesn't play that well together. I guess maybe he's talking about the effort at Baylor in combination with the Texas game. But Baylor went on to win at home over OSU by only 4, which sort of put our game with them in a different perspective. Baylor played lights out at the beginning of the season, and yes, I know they are ranked No. 1 right now, but I don't think they are playing at the level they were earlier in the year. Either they've slowed down, or everyone else has caught up to them.

So nice groove or delusional homerism? I guess I'll let you make the call, but I know which way I'm leaning.

Hate to break it to you but we are three losses by a total of five points to three ranked teams (including two in the top 5) away from having one loss and likely being top 5 in the country. Sure we lost but we are missed layups from being in that position. Feel free to believe it's delusional homerism but fact remains we aren't far from top 5.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They looked better last week than they did going into the holidays. I still think 10-8 or 9-9 in the conference is about where they're going to end up, but I feel considerably better about their ability to knock off an upper echelon conference team than I did a couple weeks ago. It's a fatally flawed team, kind of like last year. But on any given night if they play stingy defense and get good Deonte, they can play with anyone. I'd like to see a couple more games with consistent effort, but I think they're headed in the right direction. The Achilles heel for this group could end up being the lack of a closer. Last five minutes of the game and ISU needs a bucket or a trip to the line or even just a clean look - who can Prohm count on in those spots?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
In the last 90 or so minutes of basketball, we've looked the best we have all season, IMO.

There's no shame in losing @ #1 ranked Baylor by 2. And the other two games are home conference wins.

How long will it continue? Who knows, but it's possible they have made some breakthroughs with the rotation and style of play that will help us improve.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It got close towards the end of the game and we needed a couple big shots for 3 by Matt and Monte. They still aren't playing all that smooth and could be better but I just think they are who they are at this point. Texas was pretty disinterested at times.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I see OSU as our main competition for the 4 spot in the conference, so I expected them to do fairly well at Baylor. If you're looking for blow outs in the conference this year to feel good, then you're just not likely to feel good.

OSU finishing top half of league? They're gonna have to go on a helluva run for that to happen after starting 0-3. Huge uphill climb.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think this team is playing better. I like our defense over the last 2.5 games and as mentioned n another post our offense looked great in the first half against Texas. A lot of motion, cuts to the basket and even some solid screens.

That said, this week is critical IMO. We have road games at OSU and TCU. A really good Big12 team goes 2-0. Other than OU, these two games may be our best shots for road wins.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I see OSU as our main competition for the 4 spot in the conference, so I expected them to do fairly well at Baylor. If you're looking for blow outs in the conference this year to feel good, then you're just not likely to feel good.

I think there are two teams outside Kenpoms top 40 and I believe they are in the 70s. People expecting double digit wins all over the place are in for a lot of disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised if every conference game we play came down to the last couple minutes.

We've had one bad loss. Some of you need to get yourselves collected here.

igraves679

Aug 9, 2016
I think if Deonte is on in a close game we should run a play for him. He's a mismatch and either kick it out or shoot it himself, kinda like what Georges did. If he's not on though, I think we need to run better plays to get Naz or Montè a good shot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron