CVS Pharmacy to open in campustown

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think one problem is uneven competition. One could open a quality bar but it would likely require costs to renovate\build new and costs to keep it kept up, but as long as there's plenty of close-by competition that doesnt care if their place is an absolute mess, which allows them to keep drink prices low, they have a tough road against those when theyre targeting limited income college students. Now if you knocked down most of the whole west block of welch\lincoln way and redeveloped it as well and everything was on a level field, maybe you might see some quality bar options open. Maybe could see some of des moines successful chain bars (like saints\tonic or wellmans) open up in there.

I apologize for essentially copying your post.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
What is the purpose behind closing outlaws and turning it into another feaux dance club, an already watered down niche. Outlaws was the only bar that catered to the 6-7,000 ag students and was never empty..Realize a country bar is not everyones forte, but damn it was s good time

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
A CVS type of place will do well in that part of town, like many others I wish it wasn't on that corner.

The bars in Ames are crappy, and will continue to be crappy. There is kind of a monopoly on the bars, so there isn't enough competition to improve bar standards. The bars that aren't completely run down (Welch Ave Station and Cafe B) have kind of a niche market over the more standard bars (Yoke's, Cy's, Mickey's Paddy's, Outlaw's, etc) and they can compete. It would be very hard to make another bar that is similar to the standard one's nice and compete on drink prices.

You pretty much need a tornado to come through there if you want the bar situation to improve.

Does Cy's still have that wonderful smell? Nothing better than the aroma of stale beer, urine, and vomit to get the party started

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
What is the purpose behind closing outlaws and turning it into another feaux dance club, an already watered down niche. Outlaws was the only bar that catered to the 6-7,000 ag students and was never empty..Realize a country bar is not everyones forte, but damn it was s good time

Haven't heard about this, seems like there were more than enough ag/rural students to support it. What is it exactly going to be now?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

If outlaws really closes for a dance club that is a shame. That place was always busy and a solid bar for many, including non-ag people.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Haven't heard about this, seems like there were more than enough ag/rural students to support it. What is it exactly going to be now?

Apparently an 18 and above dance club. Laws definitley had the support the Ag/Rural crowd, being the only bar that caters to them specifically, as well ad having 3 different floors/bars made it alot of money without turning the crowd away. Also got much of the after midnight crowd from other bars.boggles my mind to think they weren't making ends meet

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Apparently an 18 and above dance club. Laws definitley had the support the Ag/Rural crowd, being the only bar that caters to them specifically, as well ad having 3 different floors/bars made it alot of money without turning the crowd away. Also got much of the after midnight crowd from other bars.boggles my mind to think they weren't making ends meet

That bar changes names/themes every few years it seems. it's been a bunch of different things over the years, and always seems to do well. yet, it always seems to change.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The dumpy old Yolkes was better than the new dumpy old Yolkes. Nevertheless, that corner is going to look a lot better.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Pretty sure people went to Outlaws at like 125 as a last ditch effort to score with someone drunk enough to be in outlaws.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
That bar changes names/themes every few years it seems. it's been a bunch of different things over the years, and always seems to do well. yet, it always seems to change.

Well regardless, at least one ag bar is a sure bet. Maybe time for someone to resurrect the Fox.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Pretty sure people went to Outlaws at like 125 as a last ditch effort to score with someone drunk enough to be in outlaws.
Pretty much. Unless you were going hoggin, most probably weren't going to be too successful there that late.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
A CVS type of place will do well in that part of town, like many others I wish it wasn't on that corner.

The bars in Ames are crappy, and will continue to be crappy. There is kind of a monopoly on the bars, so there isn't enough competition to improve bar standards. The bars that aren't completely run down (Welch Ave Station and Cafe B) have kind of a niche market over the more standard bars (Yoke's, Cy's, Mickey's Paddy's, Outlaw's, etc) and they can compete. It would be very hard to make another bar that is similar to the standard one's nice and compete on drink prices.

You pretty much need a tornado to come through there if you want the bar situation to improve.

why would some owners invest in renovations when college kids have zero respect in keeping them nice? In a perfect world, it'd be nice to have nicer bars but it is what it is.

So, you would've preferred status quo on that block? Did you know Charlie Yokes almost had their liquor license revoked and just got a temporary license issued? Usually that isn't a sign of a well run business.

where did I say I wanted status quo? As sad as I am to see some of those buildings go due to memories, I'm glad this is happening. But I think a new yokes or keeping the old peoples building, albeit renovated could possibly have continued to do well. Not well run or employees at the door not doing their job? I'll go with the latter, as i worked in bars in campus town for 3 plus years.

Thats Andy white for you. Prepare for summit 2.0. Last I heard yokes will attempt to cater to that crowd since it already does do that country Tuesday night.

Pharmacies are a goldmine.

osco drug says hello.

Wait, Outlaws closed?

yes.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm not even an old timer (I graudated last year) but I know for a fact that Peosple's/Headliners/Old Charlie Yokes was a pharmacy before it was turned into a bar. Maybe this will be good for Campustown. Without a doubt that corner will look nicer now that they tore down that POS old building. In addition, I would have loved to have this CVS when I lived in Cyclone. It is much easier to walk there to get a few groceries then walking 1/2 mile to my car, drive to HyVee and back to my parking spot, then have to walk my groceries another 1/2 of a mile. For the record I didn't park in the Campustown parking ram.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
why would some owners invest in renovations when college kids have zero respect in keeping them nice? In a perfect world, it'd be nice to have nicer bars but it is what it is.

Bars in Lawrence, Manhattan and Iowa City are well kept. Respect is earned. Its hard to respect POS buildings/businesses. The tide is turning, and I'm sure the lack of respect will go away as well.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Where are you guys hearing that it is going to be an 18+ club? And that probably means no alcohol sales? I couldn't imagine them trying to put X's on people's hands and having security people roam around catching underage people drinking.