Custer hits shot to go to Sweet 16

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It was a good shot. That would have been a tough loss as they really controlled the game. Somehow.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Loyola fans have had to watch some stressful endings... a buzzer beater to win in the first round, and then Custer hits the game winner with just a few seconds left in round two.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Custer was on the bench for Monte’s shot, I bet he never thought he would hit a similar shot on a bigger stage in his life.
RapidAngryAnnashummingbird-max-1mb.gif

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
How would he look here now had he redshirted his freshman year and waited his turn behind Morris and company? The guy knows how to move the ball around. Took just five shots, made four including the winner for 10 points.
He would have really helped ISU had he redshirted as a freshman. Not sure was ISU coaches do not persuade freshman to redshirt more often instead of having them sit on the bench. Doesn't make sense to me. Oftentimes they just need time to mature physically.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
How would he look here now had he redshirted his freshman year and waited his turn behind Morris and company? The guy knows how to move the ball around. Took just five shots, made four including the winner for 10 points.

Probably would have looked really bored for 2 years.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He would have really helped ISU had he redshirted as a freshman. Not sure was ISU coaches do not persuade freshman to redshirt more often instead of having them sit on the bench. Doesn't make sense to me. Oftentimes they just need time to mature physically.

This day in age with recruiting these kids are told how great they are an probably over-promised playing time just to get a chance at signing some of them so I doubt the staff was telling him when they were recruiting him "you probably won't play much while Monte Morris is here so if you commit we would like to redshirt you for a year." I'm guessing he would not have signed at ISU if redshirting his freshman year was a likely possibility when he also had multiple offers from other D1 schools including at least 2 or 3 other Big 12 schools if I recall.

Just look at the high number of transfers every year lately. Doesn't matter who you are, a lot of these kids expect to play meaningful minutes right away so I doubt voluntary redshirts are as common as they used to be. In football it's a much easier sell because unless you are a high profile recruit, you likely will not play much if at at all at a power 5 school and the redshirt season makes sense physically and maturity wise to get a shot at cracking the 2 deep right away after sitting the year out.

I'm glad Custer found success at Layola. The MVC is a 1 bid league so had they slipped up in the MVC tourney they probably would not have even made the dance. There is no guarantee that had he stayed at ISU he would have become the player he turned into. There is a huge difference in the level of talent in the MVC vs the Big 12. I'm just glad that he's getting his 1 shining moment right now because he seems like a good kid that works hard and found a situation where he is happy and succeeding.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Not many positives from a kids end to redshirt in CBB. If you're not good enough to play right away, you want to have that year available to redshirt in case you transfer.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Probably would have looked really bored for 2 years.
Actually, when Naz went down during what was supposed to be his last season, we had Hallice Cooke and Jordan Ashton playing significant minutes. I think Custer would have gotten his chance had he stayed. Who knows how things would have shaken out after that season - but I have to think he would have been a better option than Cooke and Ashton. AND, I believe that was the year that Monté got dinged up at the end of the season & was really hurting during the NCAAs. So, I think he would have helped us out.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
If you’re not good enough to play you’re losing a year of playing either way.

Lets pretend Custer redshirted his Freshman year. He gets to his Rs. Freshman year and finds that he's still buried behind Morris, Thomas, and Long and transfers afterwards. He then has to burn his Rs Sophomore year transferring leaving just 2 years to play.

Whereas the path he took allowed him 3 years to play at his new school.