Culbertson receives cake from JLMC Prof

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
So I am senior in journalism at ISU and today at my 8:00 class, JLMC 460 with Barbara Mack, a class which Bret Culbertson is in, Bret got a cake that said congratulation Bret pretty much. So it was pretty damn sweet just to see the kid get some acknowledgement and **** and also getting cake I guess. I am a friend/acquaintance of Brian Jansen, the guy who lost his job to Bret and it is just awesome that the guy finally is getting what he deserves. Yes, he has missed a couple of kicks that pissed some people off, but when it comes down to it, the kid makes every kick within a consistent range. He has never been able to kick past about 42-45 yards. I mean the kid was a walk-on who just sort of stumbled into the job because Yelk got hurt and Jansen single handedly lost the 2004 Iowa game for us, pretty much. The guy deserves it.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
I had Barbara Mack when I was at ISU! I LOVED her class! She's tough, but she definitely knows her stuff. (I would bet she'd also give you some insider tips on the ponies at PM if you ask nicely.)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've been critical of Shaggy since until this weekend he never made a meaningful kick but he's never backed down from an interview. The kid took responsibility after all the big misses and made no excuses and you had to be happy for him to finally be the hero this time.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Barbara Mack is an institution at Iowa State. She was one of very few of the faculty at ISU that left an indelible impression on me. One of ISU's greatest profs.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I know he is engaged so I guess I wouldn't be surprised, but that is all I really know about the situation is that he is engaged. I mean the guy is so humble and he doesn't make excuses he just takes it. He is nowhere near your prototype football player, he is the last person you would ever put on the football team let alone any athletic team, but he has done his job. Yeah, he has failed, but so does everyone at one time or another at certain points. But hopefully now he can get remembered for this forever instead of the other things because I think he redeemed himself and also know way we deserved to play in the championship game those years anyway, but yea.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I thought I was going to bawl like a little girl when I saw him break down during the press conference. Luckily I held my composure.

I, like many others, have gotten down on players before. I'm going to do my best not be so critical.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not surprised Mack did this at all. I took a class of hers last year, and she made her displeasure very well known with last year's football season.

How much do you think Culbertson's jersey will go for on the Cyclone Auction?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I know he is engaged so I guess I wouldn't be surprised, but that is all I really know about the situation is that he is engaged. I mean the guy is so humble and he doesn't make excuses he just takes it. He is nowhere near your prototype football player, he is the last person you would ever put on the football team let alone any athletic team, but he has done his job. Yeah, he has failed, but so does everyone at one time or another at certain points. But hopefully now he can get remembered for this forever instead of the other things because I think he redeemed himself and also know way we deserved to play in the championship game those years anyway, but yea.
I'm pretty sure Bret got married last spring. I remember seeing the announcement in the Register.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I had JLMC 101 with Mack, and he corrected my English my freshman year in that class in front of like 400 people. I said "like", and when she called me out on it I kept saying it because I was so thrown off. I ended up just busting out in laughter because it was hilarious.

I never say like now. Honestly about the most important thing I picked up in college.

Help Support Us

Become a patron