Criticism of LeBron at Son's Game

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I just came from a little league baseball tournament this weekend. I saw (3) dads sitting in lawn chairs behind the outfield fence with a cooler between then drinking beer the WHOLE day long tournament. They became louder and more opinionated as the tournament went on. So there is that aspect as well. Yes, all kids noticed it and commented on it. I imagine it was embarrassing to their kids, but hope they had fun.

Then there is this. I imagine it was embarrassing to their kids, but I hope they had fun.

I must be a bad dad. I smile and give a head nod when my son strikes out and I smile and give a head nod when my son scores a touchdown, and I smile and nod when my son comes in 4th place in a race. I hope I didn't embarrass my kids but I hope they had fun.

To each their own I guess.

Reactions: STATE12

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I fear the overblown reaction to this is rooted in politics, both support and criticism.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I just came from a little league baseball tournament this weekend. I saw (3) dads sitting in lawn chairs behind the outfield fence with a cooler between then drinking beer the WHOLE day long tournament. They became louder and more opinionated as the tournament went on. So there is that aspect as well. Yes, all kids noticed it and commented on it. I imagine it was embarrassing to their kids, but hope they had fun.

Then there is this. I imagine it was embarrassing to their kids, but I hope they had fun.

I must be a bad dad. I smile and give a head nod when my son strikes out and I smile and give a head nod when my son scores a touchdown, and I smile and nod when my son comes in 4th place in a race. I hope I didn't embarrass my kids but I hope they had fun.

I'm assuming you did not watch the video.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The only issue I see is that he's on the court during the game after that one big dunk.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think LeBron is a great person and seems to be a great family man, so that’s to be respected.

I think the antics are over the top and come off as “being about LeBron” but if this is the worst thing the guy does he’s lead a good life as a role model and person.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think LeBron is a great person and seems to be a great family man, so that’s to be respected.

I think the antics are over the top and come off as “being about LeBron” but if this is the worst thing the guy does he’s lead a good life as a role model and person.
I guess I would just hope a dad would let his kid play. I remember seeing Jordan at his sons game in Chicago and he sat about as high up as he could and was a ghost. Like he's the most recognizable athlete in the world, can he not put his ego aside and just let the kids be the main focus.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I guess I would just hope a dad would let his kid play. I remember seeing Jordan at his sons game in Chicago and he sat about as high up as he could and was a ghost. Like he's the most recognizable athlete in the world, can he not put his ego aside and just let the kids be the main focus.

He can obviously do what he wants but I would tend to agree with you.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I wonder how many of the kids on the team, if asked, would be like "I really wish massive superstar Lebron James would stop celebrating with us, this is supposed to be about me!"? I mean maybe Bronny because it's his dad, but that seems like something they two of them could sort out on their own.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If my future kid throws up an alley oop or throws down a dunk like that, I'll celebrate way harder than LeBron did

Yes I know that wasn't Bronny

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Could care less about him on the court, but what I will say AAU basketball is a fricking cancer to the game of basketball. Sure the athletes are bigger, faster stronger etc.
But all the crap I see each weekend makes you want to throw up. absolutely no team work or proper defense for the most part.
I watch little kids do things on the court during the game that would get you ejected from a high school game. probably even a college game.

I love to coach teams that get the ball out of bounds and fast break on a team that celebrate a dunk. its always a pleasure to see a team do that and get scored 3 seconds later. sometimes they dont even realize they got scored on. Then their coach typically gets mad and calls time out and yells at his team.

I will say at least he is there for his son. See lots of busy dads that dont even come watch their kids.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
People are freaking out at Lebron for supporting his sons team. (Bronny wasn't even playing when that play happened) and then Matt Barnes does **** like this at a 10 year old game and noone bats an eye. (I know.. It's matt barnes.. but still just showing the difference of outrage)

If my dad ran out on the court like that when I had a dunk in a game, I'd be so embarrassed. And tell him never to do it again lol. But it seems all these kids love Lebron being around and enjoy celebrating with him. Hell there was even a TMZ guy who's son played against Bronny's team and Lebron came up to him after the game and said "I hope I'm still playing when you make it to the league". Be annoyed by the celebrating if you want, but criticizing or bashing him for this is just dumb imo

I hadn't heard that. Imagine how you would feel if you were that kid going home after your game. Made that kids season.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Could care less about him on the court, but what I will say AAU basketball is a fricking cancer to the game of basketball. Sure the athletes are bigger, faster stronger etc.
But all the crap I see each weekend makes you want to throw up. absolutely no team work or proper defense for the most part.
I watch little kids do things on the court during the game that would get you ejected from a high school game. probably even a college game.

I love to coach teams that get the ball out of bounds and fast break on a team that celebrate a dunk. its always a pleasure to see a team do that and get scored 3 seconds later. sometimes they dont even realize they got scored on. Then their coach typically gets mad and calls time out and yells at his team.

I will say at least he is there for his son. See lots of busy dads that dont even come watch their kids.

I saw this video as another one people were referring to when talking about this issue. I was more offended by the defense than Lebron's reaction.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

You're a well adjusted adult. They are becoming hard to find.

I think there's a balance here. I think you can say that Lebron acted like a clown and often acts like a clown while you also say the way in which he does so is harmless and far superior to being a deadbeat dad or a guy that's in trouble all the time.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think everyone agrees that he shouldn't have been on the court.

Maybe I misunderstood, but this sequence makes me think that not everyone agrees with that.

A) Even if it was a pick up game at the playground it would be annoying to have a parent running onto the court during play.
B) That makes it almost more annoying. If it was acceptable, why not have 10, 20, or 40 dads run onto the court when they get excited about a play that their kid didn't even make.

There's not 40 Lebron James. Wait...are there 40 Lebron James? No, that's crazy talk. But maybe.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Maybe I misunderstood, but this sequence makes me think that not everyone agrees with that.
Your bolded makes it seem like STATE12 was mocking the idea of it being acceptable to go on the court. The original post he was responding to was not condoning it either. And the 3TrueFans response is clearly joking although still not giving any indication that he is okay with Lebron going onto the court. I don't think anyone thinks going on the court in an active game is a smart/good move, and if anyone has said so on this board I'd happily quote their post and call them a turdburger.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Your bolded makes it seem like STATE12 was mocking the idea of it being acceptable to go on the court. The original post he was responding to was not condoning it either. And the 3TrueFans response is clearly joking although still not giving any indication that he is okay with Lebron going onto the court. I don't think anyone thinks going on the court in an active game is a smart/good move, and if anyone has said so on this board I'd happily quote their post and call them a turdburger.

The original post I was responding to ended with "Yeah, he could stay off the court, but given the context, who cares?". Points A&B above it were the context pieces they were referring to.

To me, that post appears to mean "Since it's only AAU and it wasn't even his kid, why is it a big deal he was on the court?"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron