Creighton-Iowa State (Not so) secret scrimmage 10/21

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I am LOLing at all the guys in this thread trying to convince themselves that a 20+ point loss AT HOME in a scrimmage doesn't mean anything. If it had been a close game, I could agree with them, but by all accounts, this was a complete and total blowout. That means something and what it means is not very good indicator for our season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am LOLing at all the guys in this thread trying to convince themselves that a 20+ point loss AT HOME in a scrimmage doesn't mean anything. If it had been a close game, I could agree with them, but by all accounts, this was a complete and total blowout. That means something and what it means is not very good indicator for our season.
Does "by all accounts" mean by one account? Because that's all I've seen.

A veteran team of top ten caliber should beat a squad with high turnover pretty easily in a preseason scrimmage, as they have a lot of players who have played together within that system.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Iowa State didn’t lose by 20+ lol

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Welp, it's all over.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: NENick and madguy30

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
  1. We didn't lose by 20+.
  2. There's very little (if any) home court advantage in a scrimmage that's closed to the public.
  3. It's an overreaction to cast gloom based on the results of a preseason practice scrimmage.
Matt Campbell's philosophy has really rubbed off on me. If TJ's 2022 team can give maximum effort and live up to its fullest potential, then I'll be happy, regardless of the number of wins and losses. That's all you can really ask for in life.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Hilton Magic is dead! October meltdowns are real!

Now if there are trends over a few games in the non-conference, that can be an indicator for the season although even that can be fickle vs. what happens in March.

But otherwise I can't think of a single game scenario that gave any actual indication for what the season on the whole is going to be.

For all we know ISU's staff may have just wanted to see how well defensive positioning/alignment or communication were without paying any attention to the score.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And, of course, they crawl out of the woodwork to show me who's boss.
I mean, you're the one wanting people to freak out because we lost a scrimmage (not by 20+ btw) against a preseason top-25 veteran team while our guys are still learning how to play with one another.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I'm not understanding. Are you upset that we aren't as good as Creighton? No one needs to see the results of a scrimmage to know that.
We're not the most talented team. We're not going to win the national championship. We'll probably lose a lot of conference games against top 25 teams. BUT... I saw enough last year to know that we'll also probably have some big wins and play incredibly hard and maybe make the tournament. A lot of us are excited about that. You don't have to be, I guess, but I'm not sure what's fun about being an ISU fan if you can't enjoy things even when we're not the best.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

1666729478440.png

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not understanding. Are you upset that we aren't as good as Creighton? No one needs to see the results of a scrimmage to know that.
We're not the most talented team. We're not going to win the national championship. We'll probably lose a lot of conference games against top 25 teams. BUT... I saw enough last year to know that we'll also probably have some big wins and play incredibly hard and maybe make the tournament. A lot of us are excited about that. You don't have to be, I guess, but I'm not sure what's fun about being an ISU fan if you can't enjoy things even when we're not the best.
Where did I say I was upset? I said I was laughing at the people who are desperately trying to convince others and themselves that a lopsided loss like this doesn't mean anything in an exhibition game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Where did I say I was upset? I said I was laughing at the people who are desperately trying to convince others and themselves that a lopsided loss like this doesn't mean anything in an exhibition game.
We got smacked around by SDSU and Northwestern last year in these scrimmages and then made the Sweet 16.. They seriously don't mean anything. The formats are weird, there are usually multiple stoppages in time for coaching purposes where they'll actually run through plays and stuff. They'll reset scores and clocks sometimes and that doesn't even mention them toying around with tons of different lineups and playing guys that won't play much during the year.

Plus it wasn't a lopsided loss.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
AT HOME.

WTH does that mean with no fans. You know the secret of Hilton Magic 9'10" baskets? Heated seats on the home bench? Or is it we play audio of Bob Ross painting over the speakers in the visiting locker room?

We might suck, but to base that on a scrimmage is a big leap!!

I hope that we are a WIP in October. I think the goal is to peak in March.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
OK, that's cool. I think it was partly the caps you used on AT HOME that made it sound like you were upset.
Also, I think maybe you are mistaking a scrimmage for an exhibition game. Exhibitions are typically played using standard timing and rules and an official score is kept. Scrimmages are not. That's a big part of why the results are so meaningless, win or lose.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am LOLing at all the posters who think they know what happened in this thread and are overreacting to false information.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
OK, that's cool. I think it was partly the caps you used on AT HOME that made it sound like you were upset.
Also, I think maybe you are mistaking a scrimmage for an exhibition game. Exhibitions are typically played using standard timing and rules and an official score is kept. Scrimmages are not. That's a big part of why the results are so meaningless, win or lose.
Not mistaking anything.. I know it was a scrimmage. I just brain farted when typing it out.