Creighton-Iowa State (Not so) secret scrimmage 10/21

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
You want us to get run? They are scrimmaging the style of play they want to play, so I’d hope we didn’t get run. That wouldn’t be a reminder of why they play that, that would be a “why do we play that”.
If it helps us in a game that ultimately matters 0 to anything, then yes.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The answer is... no, we do not have a bucket-getter like Brockington on the roster this year.

It doesn't mean we can't score in other ways, but it's going to hurt to not have a guy or two that we know we can go to when we need a bucket.
How do you know that? Getting info from practice?

Going into last season I doubt anyone projected Brockington as a bucket getter.

If a bunch of 4th/5th year guys like Kalscheur, Grill, Kunc, Tre King, Holmes, Osunniyi, Ward and Jones can't score- shame on TJ.

I think we'll be fine, it wasn't like Williams was projected to be a bucket getter. His strengths coming in were defense and run offense.

Reactions: isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We didn’t have a Brockington this time last year either. It’s not like we are just going to be down his points this year, someone’s going to get their hands on the ball and score.

We hear this every year. Can’t replace White, Clyburn, Kane, Niang, and the list goes on.

You can't really expect a Brockington every year. I mean, a guy who was barely a double digit scorer that comes in and ends up all B12? That's kind of a freak thing. There is zero doubt that we're going to have trouble scoring. The only way this team is going to get into the 60's against anyone decent is if Kalscheur suddenly becomes consistent, Grill learns to shoot in Hilton and Holmes ends up being at least half of what Brockington was. I do think that we'll be able to score a little better inside, especially once Tre King is eligible. We're going to have a really nice rotation at the 4 and 5.

• Disagree
Reactions: isucy86

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I think our scoring will just come more from the 4/5 positions instead of 1-3 positions. I think 10 ppg more from 4/5 positions, 10 ppg less from 1-3 positions. Just different production, not necessarily worse.

Last year
PG-14 ppg(Hunter-11, Jackson/Walker-3)
SG-14 ppg(Gabe-10, Grill-4)
SG-20 ppg(Brockington-17, Grill-3)
F-10 ppg(Kunc-6, Enaruna-4)
C-8 ppg(Conditt-5, Jones-3)

This year prediction
PG-8 ppg(Lipsey-5, King-3)
SG-15 ppg(Gabe-11, Grill-4)
SG-15 ppg(Holmes-12, Grill-3)
F-15 ppg(King-8, Kunc-7)
C-13 ppg(Shoon-9, Ward-4)

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You can't really expect a Brockington every year. I mean, a guy who was barely a double digit scorer that comes in and ends up all B12? That's kind of a freak thing. There is zero doubt that we're going to have trouble scoring. The only way this team is going to get into the 60's against anyone decent is if Kalscheur suddenly becomes consistent, Grill learns to shoot in Hilton and Holmes ends up being at least half of what Brockington was. I do think that we'll be able to score a little better inside, especially once Tre King is eligible. We're going to have a really nice rotation at the 4 and 5.

3rd in scoring and 3rd in rebounding in the conference that was best in the nation by a mile.

Yeah, we can't expect a transfer like that every year or even a leap of improvement from any existing player.

There were a few transfers where they score a lot as expected though. Clyburn was pretty can't miss, I believe he led the MWC in scoring and then practiced with us for a year. Some situations like that you know the guy is going to score a lot.

I think Gabe or Osunniyi may have a shot at DPotY, although we'll need to probably be tourney bound to get them an award like that. Who knows where we'll find offense but we'll be surprised by somebody at some point.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is going to be a very tough year, mainly because of schedule. We won't go undefeated in the non-con, we won't have a the element of surprise this year on style of play. We will lose at least 3 non con games. Then the Big 12, it is such a tough league, you need more than what we have this year to win in this league. Not getting Green sealed our fate. I hope I am proven.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I can believe this.
One thing that concerns me - “Kalk was dominant “
I know he is good, but if he dominated our bigs - I find that concerning. That is supposed to be our strength.

But, just a scrimmage against what should be an outstanding team.
Certainly a concern of mine as well. Figured TJ would’ve had our forwards ready to handle a big Kalk but if we struggle with him what would happen to the likes of us going against Cockburn

• Haha
Reactions: GTO

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

At that point you have to wonder what happened there? Going from single digits in a lower level league to a top player in the best league. It’s almost like we have really good coaches that will find ways to pull stuff out of guys. But I still have questions about TJ’s W/L record at SDSU. Seems like he could have done more with the talent he had. Concerning.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'd be concerned for someone like Cockburn with pretty much any of ISU's bigs maybe...ever?

It's weird how heresay on an October scrimmage turns into 'What's going to happen if ISU plays Duke!?'.
Exactly. These scrimmages are really weird. I’d seriously equate them to NFL preseason games.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
So everyone's making season projections based on one random Creighton fan's synopsis of the scrimmage that may, or may not be accurate? Or has CW shared some things as well?

Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Exactly. These scrimmages are really weird. I’d seriously equate them to NFL preseason games.

I think I'd put them below even NFL/NBA preseason stuff.

Said it earlier but I'd like to see if coaches actually pause action to talk about things, or ask the opposing coach to really force an issue to test their team, etc.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron