Credit Union in Des Moines

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
I am thinking about switching my wife and I to a credit union from the ok service and fee addicted large bank we currently use. Together, we work downtown and out west. We are currently renting in the western suburbs, however are looking to buy within a year (probably west suburbs), so loan rates are extremely important. Any first hand experiences to help?

Just finished buying our first house after being in almost the exact same situation as it sounds like you are in. After looking around quite a bit with regards to rates, we decided to go with Veridian as it seemed like they were either a little bit lower than or the same as any other credit union in town. Have had no complaints - closing was very easy and everyone that we talked to got back to us quickly if there were ever any questions.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like Greater Iowa but their web interface is tough to use. I get the need for security, believe me. But I can't log into the site without needing a text sent to a phone. Gets old fast.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve had a Veridian Account since way before they switched from John Deere CCU. (I think I still have some checks that say that on them). I have been more than satisfied. No fees for almost anything and they’re mobile stuff is on par with any national bank. They usually have good rates on loans if needed.

The plus with Veridian is that the branches in HyVee are open all day Saturday and half days on Sunday. Their call center is open all day Sunday as well. They are great on the phone and I don’t think I’ve ever been on hold when I’ve called either.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m a Veridian guy. Great mobile banking. Plus they can print new cards or checks for you right in branch. Comes in real handy if you get robbed.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I broke down and opened a checking account with University of Iowa Credit Union in West Des Moines.
(Note: no affiliation with Eastern Iowa University)

They have a new checking account that pays 2.5% interest. Only catch is you have to use their credit card 15 times per month for an average of $10/transaction.
https://www.uiccu.org/banking/r2-checking

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
CCCU is great, but **** them for updating their website this weekend. That whole process was a giant pain.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
As a credit union "insider" I know the CEO of Financial Plus CU, Tradesmen CU and new CEO of Veridian CU are all ISU alums and Cyclones, if that factors at all in your decision. Greater Iowa used to be the ISU credit union. Almost all CUs will be member focused vs profit driven. While they may not be the lowest fee/rate for a particular product, in general you will find better value at a credit union. I've worked for both banks and credit unions-there is a difference. In my opinion, U of I CU has lost it's CU identity and is more like a bank but that's just my biased (albeit informed) opinion.

Last edited:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have both Greater Iowa Credit Union and Veridian accounts. I preferred GICU over veridian for a long time, however, Veridian upgraded their online and mobile banking this summer and it is great imo. Veridian also is better with mortgages if that is on your horizon. They are HQ in Waterloo, and work with a lot of faculty/staff in both areas and are very flexible.
Veridian also has branches in some hy-vees that are open on Saturdays and Sundays. Veridian use to be John Deere Credit Union. Greater Iowa use to be Iowa State Credit Union.

Customer service at both are great. Both offer discounted $25 tickets to most ISU FB games.

• Informative
Reactions: wclarson

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm a mortgage lender in the metro and I refer a lot of customers to Premier CU. They are fantastic to work with, they have the right mindset as a company and they treat their employees well. Their rates are second to none! From working for financial institutions in the past, i have a ton of respect for them as a company and a consumer! I highly recommend talk to the branch manager Adam in their West Des Moines office!

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
As a credit union "insider" I know the CEO of Financial Plus CU, Tradesmen CU and new CEO of Veridian CU are all ISU alums and Cyclones, if that factors at all in your decision. Greater Iowa used to be the ISU credit union. Almost all CUs will be member focused vs profit driven. While they may not be the lowest fee/rate for a particular product, in general you will find better value at a credit union. I've worked for both banks and credit unions-there is a difference. In my opinion, U of I CU has lost it's CU identity and is more like a bank but that's just my biased (albeit informed) opinion.
UICCU is a crap shoot and that's not due to their university affiliation, though it doesn't help!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm a mortgage lender in the metro and I refer a lot of customers to Premier CU. They are fantastic to work with, they have the right mindset as a company and they treat their employees well. Their rates are second to none! From working for financial institutions in the past, i have a ton of respect for them as a company and a consumer! I highly recommend talk to the branch manager Adam in their West Des Moines office!
Hi Adam!

• Funny
Reactions: dosry5 and wclarson