Credit Union in Des Moines

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I'm looking to open an account at a credit union in and/or around Des Moines. I was thinking of going with Community Choice Credit Union (despite their lame commercials). Are there any others you can give a good recommendation on? Is Community Choice a good place to bank with?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I would imagine they are all pretty comparible....though leave room for someone to correct me.

I'm looking at switching banks and have the credit unions on my radar. To me a big consideration is location of their branches and if one is convenient to where I am most often(home and/or work). Premier Credit Union has a location on the skywalk so that would be convenient for me and thus one I want to consider. Veridan has a branch close to home, so I'm considering them too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Have a truck loan and mortgage thru CCCU. Been pretty happy with their service.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm looking to open an account at a credit union in and/or around Des Moines. I was thinking of going with Community Choice Credit Union (despite their lame commercials). Are there any others you can give a good recommendation on? Is Community Choice a good place to bank with?

Veridian all day....theyre great

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I have a business account with veridian and have been happy with them; I believe their personal accounts are a pretty good setup as well

I'd recommend setting up a savings account as well and link the two accounts together.. at that point you can keep all of the money in the savings account (with a higher rate) and the money will be pulled into the checking account whenever needed.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Greater Iowa= Great Banking

[h=2]Greater Iowa Credit Union= Great Service[/h]

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
Nothing against any other credit unions, but I have personally been extremely happy with Veridian.

I would suggest comparing rates for a few of the same lines of products between any you are considering, in the event you do ever get a loan for something, pretty good indication of how competitive they are.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'll throw out another vote for at least checking out Veridian. I've been with them for about 4 years now and have always had good rates and great service.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Have had an account with Veridian for about 6 months now (used to use Wells Fargo) and have been happy so far, their money market savings rates are very competitive.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
As an important part of your decision, The Financial Plus CEO is a big ISU fan, though Community Choice has its share of ISU fans/alum on staff. Veridian, I don't know.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I am thinking about switching my wife and I to a credit union from the ok service and fee addicted large bank we currently use. Together, we work downtown and out west. We are currently renting in the western suburbs, however are looking to buy within a year (probably west suburbs), so loan rates are extremely important. Any first hand experiences to help?

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
I have been banking with Greater Iowa for 19 years. I hardly ever go into a branch. Their website os easy to navigate and never have had a problem with their bill pay. The last auto loan I got, I was able to negotiate the interest rate down a point. I also had my home mortgage with them and closing was a breeze.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I still have an account open with a credit union out west. The nice thing is I can still do basic banking functions with multiple credit unions out here.

I'm done with the big banks. I've worked for them, banked with them, been sued by them and investigated them......

Big banks are absolutely not looking out for your best interests.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'm with Community Choice, although I'd guess that most CU's are very similar in offerings. I just want CCCU to start supporting Samsung Pay... :(

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I previously mentioned in 2013 on this thread that we had CCCU. We now have Veridian and are very happy. CCCU couldn't match some of their rates, and they admitted it to me.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron