CR Gazette calling for transparency from Ferentz

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Imagine tossing that word around so liberally. Imagine cheapening it to the point where it starts to lose meaning. SAD.
Nope, I think we're using the word correctly here.

Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Reread the statement…the behaviors are different…the logic is sound though…if you’re part of the problem, you (probably) shouldn’t be allowed to be the fix

People have a weird way of protecting, supporting or justifying people’s actions when they don’t want to believe that someone could be bad or exhibit poor behavior.

Nobody wanted to believe that those awful things happened and to this day, some people defend their leadership despite what we know…I think that’s the point.
Relating the instances is a reach. You can say they are the same, but to me murder and child rape are worse than worded phrases and meal plans.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Imagine waking up every day with the attitude that you are going to spend hours defending a millionaire racist you've probably never met because he can win 10 football games and throw some money at a hospital for goodwill.
Can you put a good word in with Kirk for me since you know him so well.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
There is no amount of goodwill a person should be able to build up to offset years of racially motivated decisions. I honestly don't understand how this is even a debate for you guys?

I think you do understand why they support it

I think what you do not want to do is think of why someone would continue to root for a person that they have documented proof of the actions we have for Kirk over the years, because they have had moderate to decent success

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Relating the instances is a reach. You can say they are the same, but to me murder and child rape are worse than worded phrases and meal plans.

thinker...do what your name implies, please...not at all what is being said...nobody in any post, has equated any of the behaviors to be the same...rather that the individual circumstances produced similar defenses.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Imagine tossing that word around so liberally. Imagine cheapening it to the point where it starts to lose meaning. SAD.

Imagine still supporting people that you have actual documentation of them covering up rapes and fostering a racist environment

You have no standing on this. You literally support people that have documented investigations stating they’re racist.

Shame on you for supporting that

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I could probably pull of a slew of tremendous things that bad people have done. Doing good things doesn't outweigh the bad, especially when the bad things are terrible.

This was exactly what I was thinking reading the past few pages of back and forth on this. You can find plenty of examples with the wealthy, famous, and even those elected to serve us who may have given a lot of money to good causes or done some good things over the years but they also can be awful human beings or do stupid things when they cameras, mics, and spotlights are not on them too. Just because someone has enough money to give to charities that do good things and get some good PR out of it doesn't mean they are necessarily a good person at the core. I have a few good examples I'd love to use for this but I don't want to potentially send this thread to the cave by doing so and opening another can of worms with that.

Reactions: Gossamer

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Racism, violence, and pedophilia are equally deplorable acts. You don't look more favorable on David Duke just cause he didn't touch kids like Jerry Sandusky. Both are deplorable human beings. If Iowa treated kids differently cause they were black, and Kirk was part of that, then its racist. It doesn't matter if it was just dress code and meal plans. Its a deplorable act and its deplorable that people would defend it because it's "just a dress code."

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Racism, violence, and pedophilia are equally deplorable acts. You don't look more favorable on David Duke just cause he didn't touch kids like Jerry Sandusky. Both are deplorable human beings. If Iowa treated kids differently cause they were black, and Kirk was part of that, then its racist. It doesn't matter if it was just dress code and meal plans. Its a deplorable act and its deplorable that people would defend it because it's "just a dress code."

Kirk is = to David Duke?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Kirk is = to David Duke?

It would appear they both engage in racist acts.

Now in the scope of racism David Duke has done more deplorable things.

So, yes, you are correct. David Duke is a worse racist than Kirk.

The problem is that you seem to think that's okay. But the real problem is that Kirk is racist in the first place...regardless of the scale of his racism.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
So yes then? what happened at Iowa is equal to Rape and Murder?
You are right...in comparison to the atrocities at many of the other B1G schools, Kirk should be considered a model citizen. Racism/bullying are not that big of deal.

1643312494532.png

• Haha
Reactions: jmb