COVID-19 Unemployed/Employed Roll Call Poll

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Are you still employed during COVID?

• Yes

Votes: 57 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Yes but Moved to Part Time

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I never stopped working during COVID

Votes: 196 74.0%

• Total voters

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
this is the one time regular people get scraps, considering how much welfare corporations get I think this pittance is fine. Considering regular people actually spend money and keep economies cycling.

I know local businesses that are looking for workers and say they can’t find anybody. They are in jeopardy of losing projects if they can’t produce. So, this is short term gain with long term losses for job seekers.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I think there needs to be a cap of at least your actual wages. You should not make more than you were working if they don’t require you to look for employment.
Would that be simple enough for the state unemployment offices to change? I feel like the 600 was an easy thing and that took like 3-4 weeks for unemployment offices to implement. Looking at everyone’s past wages feels like it would take ages.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would that be simple enough for the state unemployment offices to change? I feel like the 600 was an easy thing and that took like 3-4 weeks for unemployment offices to implement. Looking at everyone’s past wages feels like it would take ages.

Well, they also receive a percentage of their past wages and then receive 600 on top of it. So, they are already doing it so it would take a look at if column X exceeds column Y.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I know local businesses that are looking for workers and say they can’t find anybody. They are in jeopardy of losing projects if they can’t produce. So, this is short term gain with long term losses for job seekers.
i would say the onus is on leaders to make an environment people feel safe taking those jobs.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Just thought I would mention that we are hiring for a position in our group at UIHC. Due to a retirement and the unfortunate onset of the COVID pandemic, you might even say we are in desperate need, lol. If you are needing a job (or just a change) and have experience with anything related to electrical or biomedical engineering, feel free to PM me for details. You would be working on radiology equipment, lots of hands-on stuff with non-stop on-the-job learning.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just thought I would mention that we are hiring for a position in our group at UIHC. Due to a retirement and the unfortunate onset of the COVID pandemic, you might even say we are in desperate need, lol. If you are needing a job (or just a change) and have experience with anything related to electrical or biomedical engineering, feel free to PM me for details. You would be working on radiology equipment, lots of hands-on stuff with non-stop on-the-job learning.

I don’t have the required qualifications and would likely use this position to burn down Kinnick. Willing to negotiate on salary.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
In may my company said everyone can stay home until September. Then in July they all basically said "those working from home will be scrutinized much more so we highly encourage you to come into the office."

Like, wtf. And we've had cases at our office.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In may my company said everyone can stay home until September. Then in July they all basically said "those working from home will be scrutinized much more so we highly encourage you to come into the office."

"We would prefer people screw around at the office rather than screwing around at home."

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

That's asinine. My company has more or less discouraged people from returning before January, and hasn't really said anything about productivity problems or changes in expectations via remote work. Managers (around me, anyway) haven't noted any remote-specific issues, either.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Sadly, this is not surprising from a certain segment of the corporate world. Play the safe PR card "Our policy allows WFH" but then culturally, it's basically forbidden. Very dumb, but not the least bit surprising.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Sadly, this is not surprising from a certain segment of the corporate world. Play the safe PR card "Our policy allows WFH" but then culturally, it's basically forbidden. Very dumb, but not the least bit surprising.

Yeah, we've had a half dozen cases in our small office but their "areas have been deep cleaned" and "everyone else has returned to the office". So wtf does that mean? I know what it means - so just come out and say it, don't dance around the issue; you don't want people working from home anymore after you already agreed to the policy. My office is full of people who think working 60 hours a week makes them good employees. Sure, go ahead and make our boss an extra .05% on his stock options while I go spend time in reality.

Oh, I'm getting a bit heated now. Probably because everyone here has their door closed, kitchen is closed, and yet somehow this is better than being at home in safety.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, we've had a half dozen cases in our small office but their "areas have been deep cleaned" and "everyone else has returned to the office". So wtf does that mean? I know what it means - so just come out and say it, don't dance around the issue; you don't want people working from home anymore after you already agreed to the policy. My office is full of people who think working 60 hours a week makes them good employees. Sure, go ahead and make our boss an extra .05% on his stock options while I go spend time in reality.

Oh, I'm getting a bit heated now. Probably because everyone here has their door closed, kitchen is closed, and yet somehow this is better than being at home in safety.

That's very frustrating. I work in a small office as well, probably 15 people there on a busy day, but most days it's less than 10. We have COVID protocols, but honestly, no one is following them. I just stay in my office with the door shut. Thankfully, our company hasn't been pushing back on WFH. I basically just do whatever I feel like in terms of office/WFH right now and people leave me alone.