Coronavirus COVID-19 Limited Topics Discussion (Read 1st Post)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jeremy, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6,208 / 230 / -6
    Ah okay. I thought maybe people interpreted it as me trying to downplay the daily number of positive tests by saying “Yeah but look at how many more tests are being done”. That wasn’t my intention. I should probably just post it, the number hospitalized, and the number discharged without any further comment.

2. jkbuff98

jkbuff98 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -1
    I appreciate you posting it and feel it is a key piece of information. More testing is good and new cases being relatively flat along with increased testing is very good

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    Ratings:
    +7,076 / 119 / -5
    I'm the opposite. I hate the walk-in. If I'm working on something, I don't want to be pulled away from it until I finish. I find myself getting more done working from home because of fewer distractions from coworkers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,945 / 242 / -32
    I've always worked 2 days a week from home. I'm not a big fan of 5 days a week from home. I also notice that the number of meetings has pretty much doubled for some reason.

5. kchacker

kchacker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +1,289 / 28 / -1
    I've been WFH 100% for over a decade. We don't have physical offices anywhere so I haven't "left the office" since 2007. Prior to that I worked in a typical office environment for about 10 years.

The past few years have taken a toll on me working from home, which didn't really come to light until my job situation had gotten terrible. Since straightening that out, I'm in a much better place but also seeing that 100% WFH is probably not good for me.

There are plenty of positives, but the isolation has really worn me down. I basically stare at a screen all day in my little room.

• Like Like x 1
  6. aeroclone

aeroclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,445 / 86 / -7
    This just isn't possible at a larger company though. My company has 80k employees. I'm at the headquarters location, but even then most of the people I work with are somewhere else. Even the people that I interact with who are located here could be a 15 minute walk from my desk. There really is no difference in how I work from home versus the office. Everything is instant message, email, and conference calls. My face to face interactions in the office are more social than actually getting work done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    Ratings:
    +14,383 / 165 / -5
    Last 2 days the number of cases in 18-40 range have been in the 40's (42 yesterday, 43 today)

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. CloneKing

CloneKing Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Male
    Seed Sales
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    We got our son's graduation party announcements the Monday before the initial school closings took place. We were planning it the first week of May. Looks like that probably isn't going to happen now and graduation may not happen. Bummed for all the graduates high school and college.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ISUTex

ISUTex Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +1,972 / 187 / -21

Going into town every three or four days for food, supplies etc (some trips are errands for elderly mother in law.) Try to keep my distance from people. I try not to touch my face(which is hard to do). Have a bottle of hand sanitizer in pocket and slap it on every time I leave the store. That's about it. No mask or gloves. Probably won't do that until the force me. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ISUTex

ISUTex Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +1,972 / 187 / -21

Poor people in New York, Chicago, Detroit etc have always had issues with asthma. I'd imagine living on top of each other in dumpy air polluted neighborhoods isn't exactly healthy. White, black, or whatever their race is.

11. ISUTex

ISUTex Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +1,972 / 187 / -21

Wait until, or if, it hits Africa or Central America.

12. Cybone

Cybone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Systems Enginerd
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    I have been working from home now for almost two years. I work in IT and specialize in moving law firms “to the cloud”. I have been crazy busy for about a year and a half now, but the last month has ratcheted it up a notch. 96% of my clients are in California who are all under shelter in place orders. The sudden rush to functionally work from home was just hell...years of warning people about the need to be mobile came to a head.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. kchacker

kchacker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +1,289 / 28 / -1
    I work with a number of law firms in an IT capacity, though I do not directly support the law firms. We had a meeting a couple weeks ago with a large firm who had just started working from home. They were in shambles. None of their conference lines worked because they didn't have enough reserved and the company they were using was overloaded. We had to use the company lines from my company. Listening to them talk you would think the firm would be closed next week.

14. CascadeClone

CascadeClone Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,484 / 87 / -0
    I've said this multiple times in the other threads, but finally somewhere seems to have some evidence that it's correct. (pats self on back)

This does not, of course, show that masks for the public are of no use. A better way to think about them in this context might be that, rather than helping healthy people shield themselves from infection, they could be used to stop those who are already infected broadcasting the virus into the air around them. Given that much transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is suspected to occur before someone who has the virus actually shows any symptoms (see following article), encouraging everyone to wear masks in public regardless of whether they are symptomatic could be a useful way to break the chain of transmission.

A study published in the current edition of Nature Medicine backs this idea up. Ben Cowling, an epidemiologist at Hong Kong University, measured the amount of virus shed, in half an hour of breaths and coughs, by participants infected with a variety of respiratory viruses, including influenza, rhinovirus and coronaviruses (though not SARS-CoV-2). In the case of those with coronaviruses, 30% of droplets and 40% of aerosol particles exhaled by participants without a surgical face-mask on contained virus particles. When they wore masks, that dropped to zero.

<https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/04/11/should-the-public-wear-masks-to-slow-the-spread-of-sars-cov-2>

• Like Like x 1
  15. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Jan 2, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,355 / 86 / -1
    They were obviously making an attempt at the noble lie.

If masks were really ineffective, why we're health officials clamoring for more of them as PPE equipment?

It was fairly obvious they were mostly just trying to avoid public hoarding of a scarce resource.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    Ratings:
    +1,544 / 52 / -2
    What happened to your phones?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. NorthCyd

NorthCyd Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ratings:
    +6,783 / 200 / -4
    I disagree. They have always said basic surgical masks would help people who had the virus from spreading it. Thats what basic surgical masks are for, to protect the patients from the doctors accidently spitting in to them while they are cut open. Thats all that article is saying. Thye have also always said N95 would help you from getting sick, but those were only really needed by people who were at high exposure like those in the healthcare industry. That's what they are talking about being in need for ppe.

18. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Jan 2, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,355 / 86 / -1
    #98 Die4Cy, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Yes, but surgical masks only help you from spreading the virus the way coughing into your elbow does. They are not designed to filter anything, but they will redirect droplets that might have been more widely projected by a cough.

People assume when they wear a surgical mask to Walmart or tie their bandana to their face at the grocery store that they are protecting themselves, when they probably aren't doing much.

When the crest of this wave passes and people are considering wading back out into uncertain society, they will be wanting N95s. And I imagine they will be fairly widely available by that time.

19. NorthCyd

NorthCyd Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ratings:
    +6,783 / 200 / -4
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21,918 / 655 / -2
    Went into your local grocery store a couple days ago and it was packed.