Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Argh, Prohm. You could say he almost completely lost it in the 2017-18 season. It was his third season as coach, all of Hoiberg's guys gone, and nothing! What saved him in his first two years was getting DeAndre Burton! Kid was a stud. [And of course Hoiberg's guys.]

He definitely got a reprieve in 2018-19 with how well Shayok played, and the recruiting of THT, and Tyrese H. Then a healthy Tyrese thru his entire year 2 wouldn't have likely saved 2019-20. True colors showed again last year, 2020-21. Ouch.

I actually didn't think 17-18 was that bad. It was a rebuild and there were signs of really good things including big wins at Hilton. Also LW/Lard had a ying/yang thing.

18-19 was more telling on the ability to run 'his' program imo. There's slumps and then there's dysfunction out front and center.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Of the last 7 head basketball coaches prior to TJ, 6 made the NCAA tournament and won at least 1 game here. Orr, Floyd, Eustacy, Morgan, Hoiberg and Prohm. The only one that didn't was McDermott.

In that same time span Nebrasksa went to a single NCAA tournament under Miles and has zero wins.

There is no inherent reason why Nebraska has been so bad in basketball compared to us other than simply fan support I suppose? It's not like we had one great coach that made us successful. We've had many that got us to the NCAA's. We've had 40 years of at least decent basketball teams for the most part.

There is no way Hoiberg is as bad as what he's showing at Nebraska. For some reason that school just sucks at basketball.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Of the last 7 head basketball coaches prior to TJ, 6 made the NCAA tournament and won at least 1 game here. Orr, Floyd, Eustacy, Morgan, Hoiberg and Prohm. The only one that didn't was McDermott.

In that same time span Nebrasksa went to a single NCAA tournament under Miles and has zero wins.

There is no inherent reason why Nebraska has been so bad in basketball compared to us other than simply fan support I suppose? It's not like we had one great coach that made us successful. We've had many that got us to the NCAA's. We've had 40 years of at least decent basketball teams for the most part.

There is no way Hoiberg is as bad as what he's showing at Nebraska. For some reason that school just sucks at basketball.

Everyone is always talking about Nebraska's great fan support for basketball. Don't they sell out a bunch of games?

And Hoiberg has been WAY worse than Miles was. He has 6 Big 10 wins in 2 and a half years. He's about to go 0-8 in the Big 10 this year.

His Nebraska teams haven't just been bad. They've been epically bad. Karma is a *****.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I actually didn't think 17-18 was that bad. It was a rebuild and there were signs of really good things including big wins at Hilton. Also LW/Lard had a ying/yang thing.

18-19 was more telling on the ability to run 'his' program imo. There's slumps and then there's dysfunction out front and center.
I actually enjoyed that 17-18 season. I had zero expectations with everyone we had lost from the previous year. Wigginton and Lard both looked like studs as true freshman that we could build around for the next couple years, and I knew we had Shayock and THT coming the following year. The future looked bright.

Then the following off season Shayock graduated, THT and Wigginton both left early, Lard was kicked off the team and everything collapsed in about a 2 day span. All the young talent I was counting on was gone outside of Haliburton.

Lard still haunts me. He was a beat as a freshman. I was convinced he was going to shatter Iowa State's all time blocks record and tear up the Big 12 for 3 more years. Biggest waste of talent I've seen at Iowa State.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I actually enjoyed that 17-18 season. I had zero expectations with everyone we had lost from the previous year. Wigginton and Lard both looked like studs as true freshman that we could build around for the next couple years, and I knew we had Shayock and THT coming the following year. The future looked bright.

Then the following off season Shayock graduated, THT and Wigginton both left early, Lard was kicked off the team and everything collapsed in about a 2 day span. All the young talent I was counting on was gone outside of Haliburton.

Lard still haunts me. He was a beat as a freshman. I was convinced he was going to shatter Iowa State's all time blocks record and tear up the Big 12 for 3 more years. Biggest waste of talent I've seen at Iowa State.

We really don't know what TJ will do on the long run as he gets more seasons in but it seems like a strength of his is letting players know where they stand and there were some personalities in there that may have needed that.

Reactions: isutrevman

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Everyone is always talking about Nebraska's great fan support for basketball. Don't they sell out a bunch of games?

And Hoiberg has been WAY worse than Miles was. He has 6 Big 10 wins in 2 and a half years. He's about to go 0-8 in the Big 10 this year.

His Nebraska teams haven't just been bad. They've been epically bad. Karma is a *****.
Yep - nothing wrong about Husker fan support for basketball. If you give them hope, they sell out. That was a darn good crowd tonight for such a sh*t team.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Their fan support is great actually. It’s shockingly high.
Their facilities are now really good.

The only “systematic” things that held them back seemed to be they would let mediocrity ride for a long time. Now they have tons of money to spend on a coach so no reason for that. Not much local talent, but join the club.

Thete really isn’t a historical reason any more for them to suck. Do kids want to go there? I suppose not,but in the end you have great facilities, you are in the Big 10 in front of good crowds.

At this point the historical suckitude is more correlation than causation.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
At this point Fred is likely to take the $18.5 million buyout and sit back

We (as fans) can thank him for the quick resurrection of ISU basketball without the bowling ball dropped on our nuts that success at Nebraska would have been.

Yes they 100% should have fired Miles. They just should have hired someone better than Fred. Miles was bad at Nebraska. In his 7 years he finished 10th or worse 5 times. One of the year they finished 4th they still didn’t make the tourney because the Big 10 was so bad.

At some point they should just not be Nebraska. 60ish years in this modern tournament format and they can’t win a game. It’d be like if ISU never snapped our bowl win drought in the 90s vs Pitt and still looking for that first one.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I loved Fred and was honestly as bummed as I've ever been about what I thought our potential was that he was leaving when moving to the NBA. But with his post ISU coaching life thus far, and seeing what otz is doing I'm really wondering if we were way too high on what Fred really was capable of.

It's really hard to not watch isu play this year and think how much of Fred's success was really Fred vs otz as his right hand man.

However at the same point I also feel Green is an absolute critical piece of this year's success.. But I'm going to give otz that credit if landing him on the staff :)

You just have to look at who TJ recruited to know how important he has been and is to the recent history of this program. To his credit, Fred brought other things to the table namely the crowd. It’s a key piece to ISU basketball success. It really really is.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Don’t fool yourself. Losing by 18 to Milwaukee and putting up a record low 45 points at Hilton against Tennessee in a blowout loss were no accidents. So many other failures that year.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Again, I hate this thread. What's the point? Have no idea if Fred will get it turned around or not, but B. McGowens is a freshmen stud. Get a few more pieces like him and NU will start winning more. I think they will give him time.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Again, I hate this thread. What's the point? Have no idea if Fred will get it turned around or not, but B. McGowens is a freshmen stud. Get a few more pieces like him and NU will start winning more. I think they will give him time.
Have you watched them play? It looks like a very poorly coached team to me. Not getting back on D. Taking terrible shots. Sloppy turnovers. Getting killed on the boards.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Fred was great for Iowa State as a player and a coach. He loves Iowa State. Who cares if does or doesn't have success at Knowledge U? Move on.

Reactions: VeloClone

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Have you watched them play? It looks like a very poorly coached team to me. Not getting back on D. Taking terrible shots. Sloppy turnovers. Getting killed on the boards.

Yes, I've watched them play several times. Should have beat Ohio State and took Illinois to the wire til the very end, but they just don't have 'enough'. Rebounding is a struggle at times and they can't seem to avoid untimely turnovers. I'm just saying that I think they are close. A phrase I've heard Matt Campbell use, I believe.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yes, I've watched them play several times. Should have beat Ohio State and took Illinois to the wire til the very end, but they just don't have 'enough'. Rebounding is a struggle at times and they can't seem to avoid untimely turnovers. I'm just saying that I think they are close. A phrase I've heard Matt Campbell use, I believe.
They are 160 in KenPom, with only Pitt, Missouri, and UGa as high majors behind them. If they are close, every high major is close.

No high major is THAT far off, if for no other reason it only take a couple players to make a big difference and you can flip a roster in one offseason.

Fred doesn't have the drive anymore. Not the first guy that hits 50 with millions in the bank and likes the idea of working better than actually working.

Last edited:

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Fred is 5-42 in B1G play since he got there. I don’t think it’s gonna work out.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Stormin and JP4CY