Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
By this I mean, I have to think that after this season is over, influential people at Nebraska are going to ask what took Hoiberg so long at Nebraska when Otzelberger could turn Iowa State around in less than one season.

Not sure why I'm even responding to this, but I doubt any real influential people are evaluating their coach based on our 1 season. They're basing it on the 3 or 4 years of progress/success of their own team. Not sure where you intend to go with this, but Hoiberg except for the first year when the cupboard was bare, got great results w/a group of various transfers/role players/style of play etc. here as well. Besides, there was 'the magic' in our history before Hoiberg at least in the background. Don't think NU has ever had that. NU could care less how they compare to someone here. They would care how they compare to the other big10 schools.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa State has a legacy of winning basketball. A better comparison to Nebraska basketball is old Iowa State football and the time it took Campbell to build a program.

They went 8-5 with two Top 5 wins in year 2 of CMC, similar in Year 3.

Hoiberg won't ever do anything equal at NU.

Hoiberg is more like Walden at NU.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure why I'm even responding to this, but I doubt any real influential people are evaluating their coach based on our 1 season. They're basing it on the 3 or 4 years of progress/success of their own team. Not sure where you intend to go with this, but Hoiberg except for the first year when the cupboard was bare, got great results w/a group of various transfers/role players/style of play etc. here as well. Besides, there was 'the magic' in our history before Hoiberg at least in the background. Don't think NU has ever had that. NU could care less how they compare to someone here. They would care how they compare to the other big10 schools.
One other thing is we keep running with the cupboard was bare story. He had Christopherson (one of our best shooters) Garrett (made the NBA for a bit), and Ejim (one of our best all around players we have had) off the top of my head.

Fred did not have the mess TJ had.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
One other thing is we keep running with the cupboard was bare story. He had Christopherson (one of our best shooters) Garrett (made the NBA for a bit), and Ejim (one of our best all around players we have had) off the top of my head.

He did as far as culture went.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

Well we were coming off some awful 'no magic' years tho. And were Christopherson and Ejim established players yet? I remember Jake Andersen was the cream of the crop as far as who he could pick up at the time for a transfer that could play that first year. (I did like Jake tho)
I dont know, like I said, I didn't like the thread topic in the first place.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Not sure why I'm even responding to this, but I doubt any real influential people are evaluating their coach based on our 1 season. They're basing it on the 3 or 4 years of progress/success of their own team. Not sure where you intend to go with this, but Hoiberg except for the first year when the cupboard was bare, got great results w/a group of various transfers/role players/style of play etc. here as well. Besides, there was 'the magic' in our history before Hoiberg at least in the background. Don't think NU has ever had that. NU couldn't care less how they compare to someone here. They would care how they compare to the other big10 schools.

FIFY
"Could care less"
means NU does in fact care. Even if it is just a little.

Last edited:

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Hoiberg is doing a phenomenal coaching job at Nebraska. That program is so bad they should never expect anything more than sometimes beating iowa. They need to sign him to a lifetime contract so he can continue making cyclone nation proud by rising Nebraska to its max ceiling: sometimes beating Iowa.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This is probably not a popular opinion but when I look back on the talent that Hoiberg and Prohm had, they completely underachieved. I know people love Fred for elevating the program but some of those teams had 5 NBA guys on it and couldn’t get past the Sweet 16.

The 2014-15 team that lost to UAB had SIX NBA players on it: Niang, Morris, Naz, Dejean-Jones, Nader, and Thomas. Not to mention two more guys who are still playing professionally 7 years later internationally (Hogue and McKay). That team had the talent to win the whole damn thing

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fred made a poor coaching career decision by going to the cluster that was the Chicago Bulls organization. He is still paying the price for that. He made a lot of money though.

I pay almost no attention to Nebraska basketball, but I assume Fred is struggling to re-invent himself.