Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
I’ll watch, then the rest of my day will be ruined.
Glad they are smart since few will get chance at next level.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I'll watch a bowl game if it's an exhibition of how the team performs with long-overdue coaching changes. Otherwise it'd be less frustrating to watch paint dry.
Oh come on you don’t want to see another amazing game with the same five plays run for 85 percent on the offense side of the ball with the one drive or one to two plays that are unique and work!?!

You don’t want to see the defense heroically keep the game close within a one score reach for a series of 7-8 major errors or missed opportunities that cost the game? It’s so dramatic!!!

Reactions: BigCyFan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
OSU being ranked is a total joke.

They have almost the worst defense in the entire country.

LOL it was good enough to beat us. If the team gets offered a bowl and wants to go great, but all I will do is turn the TV on and watch

Reactions: agentbear

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
5-7 bowl update:

McMurphy is projecting two 5-7 teams will be needed, and he says there will definitely be at least one.

He thinks it’ll be Rice and ISU. He’s got the New Mexico Bowl (vs Wyoming) and the First Responder Bowl in Dallas (vs Oregon State) as taking 5-7 teams. ISU vs OSU would be a pick ‘em right now.

Tracking the below, he thinks Wisconsin gets to 6 and then Temple and BC fail to get to 5.

Rice (5-5)
Wisconsin (5-5)
Temple (3-7)
Boston College (3-7)
Iowa State (4-6)

The rooting interest this week is:
Cincinnati over Temple (UC heavily favored)
Notre Dame over BC (ND heavily favored)

That would put ISU no worse than 3rd in line. Rice and Wisconsin are already going to be ahead of ISU no matter what - either they get to 6, or they get APR preference - so ISU can’t improve its stock any further than that.

Some other rooting interests against 4-6 and 5-5 teams include:

Clemson over 5-5 Miami
Oklahoma State over 5-5 Oklahoma
Kansas State over 4-6 West Virginia
Indiana over 5-5 Michigan State
Penn State over 4-6 Rutgers
Washington State over 4-6 Arizona

Last edited:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
5-7 bowl update:

McMurphy is projecting two 5-7 teams will be needed, and he says there will definitely be at least one.

He thinks it’ll be Rice and ISU. He’s got the New Mexico Bowl (vs Wyoming) and the First Responder Bowl in Dallas (vs Oregon State) as taking 5-7 teams. ISU vs OSU would be a pick ‘em right now.

Tracking the below, he thinks Wisconsin gets to 6 and then Temple and BC fail to get to 5.

The rooting interest this week is:
Cincinnati over Temple (UC heavily favored)
Notre Dame over BC (ND heavily favored)

That would put ISU no worse than 3rd in line. Rice and Wisconsin are already going to be ahead of ISU no matter what - either they get to 6, or they get APR preference - so ISU can’t improve its stock any further than that.

Some other rooting interests against 4-6 and 5-5 teams include:

Clemson over 5-5 Miami
Oklahoma State over 5-5 Oklahoma
Kansas State over 4-6 West Virginia
Indiana over 5-5 Michigan State
Penn State over 4-6 Rutgers
Washington State over 4-6 Arizona

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
For me, if The Clones end up 5-7 then no bowl. I do not think it is a good look for the program.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
He said worrying about 6-6. They will worry about improving as a team, not the final record.

It amazes me how butt hurt people were over one comment that was widely misunderstood.

It was a stupid thing to say. 6 wins is the benchmark every single year

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I looked at who is bowl eligible and who’s probably going to become bowl eligible and I really don’t think there’s going to be room for any 5-7 teams. Pretty sure we need to win out for a bowl.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I looked at who is bowl eligible and who’s probably going to become bowl eligible and I really don’t think there’s going to be room for any 5-7 teams. Pretty sure we need to win out for a bowl.

Exactly. These teams are playing for their season. They’re going to overachieve. The same could be said for ISU, but the difference is that those teams can score points. ISU is averaging 14.5 PPG against power 5 teams. We suck ass.

Edit: 2003 ISU was the worst offense I ever saw. They averaged 10.2 PPG against Power 5. We really suck ass

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
He said worrying about 6-6. They will worry about improving as a team, not the final record.

It amazes me how butt hurt people were over one comment that was widely misunderstood.

You think that was his intent? Okay......so why worry about 5 wins? How about 4.....3.....2....1? Why worry about winning at all if the primary concern is just improving?

No......when he said that it was directed at some in this fan base who would be content with just 6 wins and a bowl bid every year.

And he isn't worried about that because that is for "s*** programs". You think ISU a s*** program?

You take a bowl bid with a 5-7 record and rationalize that as a good thing then yeah..............you just might be thinking that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wanting 6 wins is for **** programs. One season is not a program. We are a **** team this year, don’t think there is anyone associated with the program just hoping for 6 wins.

Understand the difference between team and program.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Exactly. These teams are playing for their season. They’re going to overachieve. The same could be said for ISU, but the difference is that those teams can score points. ISU is averaging 14.5 PPG against power 5 teams. We suck ass.

Edit: 2003 ISU was the worst offense I ever saw. They averaged 10.2 PPG against Power 5. We really suck ass
Yeah, and a lot of these teams just have to win games they’ll be favored in.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
There was a time not long ago that 5 wins would've been considered a successful season. The years we made bowl games were because of our **** schedule. Now people think we are too good for a 5-7 bowl. I'm sorry people, EVERY program has a down year. We are in position to go to a bowl in a down year. A year in which we were in every game. We couldve/should've won every game and didn't. There is a big difference in being happy about losing and respecting that we have an elite defense and an injured/inexperienced team on offense.

We all want a 10-win season, I believe this staff and their recruits will get us there. If you understand a few costly mistakes and injuries were the difference this season you aren't feeling like the direction is down. And more than likely want to see these seniors treated to another game and get the youth more practice. This I believe is what CMC is always preaching how results in the W/L aren't the only metric used when evaluating a season.

Queue the moral victory high and mighty.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I think we should have a good sense on Sunday of where things stand. Things have definitely taken a turn in the last few weeks with some upset wins. And Iowa State is in good shape to get a bid at 5-7 if even only two spots are available (and maybe if there’s only one, depending on whether Rice gets an upset win).