Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Do you really think these are the primary reasons why ISU has the worst offense in the Big 12 by over a TD/game...
Yes, the same coaching staff had the 4th best offense in the league last year at 31.3 PPG. Not only did we lose the best RB, QB, and TE we had our top 2 RBs hurt since game 1-3. Arguably the best lineman. And a first time starter at QB and TE. That offense drove 98 yards against one of the best defenses in the nation in their hostile house in a rivalry. Once injuries took over, the QB started getting hit(KU) and started dumping passes off in a clean box. All of those things are coachable and learning experiences. Dekkers is still historically one of the most accurate throwers we've ever had. Imagine what a healthy backfield would've done for this young QB.

That being said, the OL has been a bad 7 year experiment. Something has to be done.

• Agree
Reactions: Klubber

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, the same coaching staff had the 4th best offense in the league last year at 31.3 PPG. Not only did we lose the best RB, QB, and TE we had our top 2 RBs hurt since game 1-3. Arguably the best lineman. And a first time starter at QB and TE. That offense drove 98 yards against one of the best defenses in the nation in their hostile house in a rivalry. Once injuries took over, the QB started getting hit(KU) and started dumping passes off in a clean box. All of those things are coachable and learning experiences. Dekkers is still historically one of the most accurate throwers we've ever had. Imagine what a healthy backfield would've done for this young QB.

That being said, the OL has been a bad 7 year experiment. Something has to be done.
*99 yards. When they placed that ball for play I swear they needed that referee's index card to be sure the tip of the football wasn't over the goal line.

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Unofficially, 64 teams are eligible the regular way.

38 others are still alive -- 16 of them with 6 losses.

As far as the APR pool is concerned, ISU is still 5th at the moment:
Rice (5-5)
Wisconsin (5-5)
Temple (3-7)
Boston College (3-7)
Iowa State (4-6)

Wisconsin won
Rice is getting blasted by UTSA
BC is getting blasted by ND

That puts ISU at #3 on the APR list, pending Temple's game against Cincinnati.

• Informative
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Worthless?!?!?!? Our O Line will certainly get better with 12 more practices or whatever. Bowl game opponent stands no chance!
Thought poor coaching was what's causing our o-line to digress?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Wisconsin won
Rice is getting blasted by UTSA
BC is getting blasted by ND

That puts ISU at #3 on the APR list, pending Temple's game against Cincinnati.

There are 84 bowl bids, so the easiest way to do the math I think is to see whether 83 or more teams will get to 6 wins, Rice excluded. If yes, then Iowa State is not going to have a spot; if no and the number is 82 or fewer, Iowa State will get a bid if we end up at 5-7. (I am assuming Cincinnati wins.) If you just exclude Rice, then it counts them as ahead of ISU whether or not they win next week, which is true.

Will be interesting to do the math on this tomorrow once all the games are done.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Georgia State and Arizona both suffered their 7th losses today. So, two more dominoes have fallen.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It is extremely sad that with the defense we have and the horrible defenses we’ve played that there has been a thread for 3 weeks on if we can get to 5 wins for a pitty bowl.
This, plus probably losing that bowl game due to our players sitting out but the other middling G5 team treating it as their SuperBowl.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This, plus probably losing that bowl game due to our players sitting out but the other middling G5 team treating it as their SuperBowl.

Hutchinson and McDonald will likely be advised to sit out but I'm not sure who else would be in that position.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It is extremely sad that with the defense we have and the horrible defenses we’ve played that there has been a thread for 3 weeks on if we can get to 5 wins for a pitty bowl.

Agree. Every week goes by with another agonizing loss…. and some are still trying to see if there’s a way we can back door sneak into a horrible bowl with a losing record. It’s just sad to see.

I thought our program was better than that now?

Getting into a bowl with only 5 wins only means there are WAY too many bowls.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Agree. Every week goes by with another agonizing loss…. and some are still trying to see if there’s a way we can back door sneak into a horrible bowl with a losing record. It’s just sad to see.

I thought our program was better than that now?

Getting into a bowl with only 5 wins only means there are WAY too many bowls.
I do care that they get that 5th win tonight on Senior Night. If they do, and if they get a Bowl Bid with a 5-7 record due to having a high APR, I think that is a good thing. The kids will get to go away for a week and get a little swag because they have gone to class and progressed towards degrees. I think that is worth rewarding. Plus, the defense has definitely earned a Bowl bid this year.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
West Virginia suffered their 7th loss today, so buh-bye.
Boston College (which was ahead by APR) suffered their 8th, so buh-bye.