Couch coaches - How to beat Kansas?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: Couch coachs - How to beat Kansas?

SH hitting six threes could give us a big lift.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

This KU teams plays much like the KU teams of the past. LE was able to beat KU often by playing his style of ball. In reality, McDs methods are similar to Larry's. They both use the Half Court game. They both stress defense. I think Larry was bigger on importance of rebounding. But I think McD has more creative plays, particularly during the inbound. However, my point being is that Larry was able to beat KU with a similar style of play as we have now. I think this is possible but we can't let KU and the Phog get into our players' heads. Easier said than done.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

Get there big guys in foul trouble AND have 10 or fewer turnover's. I think this is the only real possible way. The problem is they have 3 excellent big guys and are excellent at forcing turnover's. This one could be rough on BP and DG.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

This KU teams plays much like the KU teams of the past. LE was able to beat KU often by playing his style of ball. In reality, McDs methods are similar to Larry's. They both use the Half Court game. They both stress defense. I think Larry was bigger on importance of rebounding. But I think McD has more creative plays, particularly during the inbound. However, my point being is that Larry was able to beat KU with a similar style of play as we have now. I think this is possible but we can't let KU and the Phog get into our players' heads. Easier said than done.

Good analysis of the two coaches. I wish we would crash the boards more like LE's teams used to do. Greg definetly has a more creative offensive flair.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

One advantage we have right now is the amount of unknowns our team has. At any given time one of our guys could have a great game. Inconsistency can be a problem and a blessing. Kansas wont know who to guard or when.

Darth Cy

Oct 24, 2006
Ankeny

One of the things I am worried about is our point guard position are newcomers. I just hope they play like it is just another gym and not believe the hype around Allen Fieldhouse.
I believe it was Stinson when ISU won down there had a quote about not being intimidated by KU home court and that it was like any other basketball court he had played on.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

KU could own us in halfcourt and fullcourt games.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

True, but Larry was also played against Roy coached teams. And I think Roy teams were susceptible to an offense and defense like Larry's. IMO, our offense and defense is exactly what Self likes to play against.

Kansas is a way different team than it was in the early 2000s when we were beating them regularly.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I do think Mac is a better game time coach than Self. So we will see. If ISU has a chance in this game it is because of Mac's coaching.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

True, but Larry was also played against Roy coached teams. And I think Roy teams were susceptible to an offense and defense like Larry's. IMO, our offense and defense is exactly what Self likes to play against.

Kansas is a way different team than it was in the early 2000s when we were beating them regularly.

Which is another reason I'm in favor of us continuing to play the type of game we have in the last couple weeks. Give 'em everything we've got - including using Boozer and Lee to see if Boozer can get hot and hope Lee can give us some good defense.

IMO, our only chance is to shoot lights-out.

Take a look at the box score from last season's ISU-KU game in Ames. The recipe to hang with 'em and somehow defeat them should be very similar to last season. While our shooting wasn't fantastic, we did make 10/29 3-point shots compared to their 2/11. Not to mention, we won the turnover battle and blocked a lot of shots. If we could have avoided getting slaughtered on the boards or not shoot horribly behind the line - we win that game.

ESPN - Kansas vs. Iowa State Box Score, January 13, 2007

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

I do think Mac is a better game time coach than Self. So we will see. If ISU has a chance in this game it is because of Mac's coaching.

Wow! What makes you think that McDermott is a better "game time" coach than Self?

No knock on McDermott here but you do realize that Self has taken 4 of his first 14 teams to the Elite 8 (Tulsa 99-00, Illinois 00-01, KU 03-04 and 06-07)...don't you?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

His teams have also choked several times.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

It'll take a near perfect game, a good shooting night, and a bit of luck.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Wow! What makes you think that McDermott is a better "game time" coach than Self?

No knock on McDermott here but you do realize that Self has taken 4 of his first 14 teams to the Elite 8 (Tulsa 99-00, Illinois 00-01, KU 03-04 and 06-07)...don't you?

Mac outcoached him in the OT loss last year. He always has a lot of talent on his teams, and he is a good at getting the talent to come play for him. He does a good job in getting teams ready to play and getting his teams ready in the offseason. He is a good coach but he does get outmatched at times in games.

Oh I forgot you dont like Mac, dont like his coaching, and are Mr negative towards him so matter what I say will be wrong when it comes to supporting Mac.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

His teams have also choked several times.

He has had a winning record 12 of his first 14 years as a HC. He has made the NCAA Tournament 9 straight years (with 3 different schools)...in those 9 appearances he has 4 Elite 8s, 1 Sweet 16, 2 Second Round appearances, and only 2 "one and done" trips.

If that is considered "choking" then sign me up for some coaches that "choke".

Hey, I certainly don't like the Jayhawks anymore than the next guy on this site but I just think that impugning or trying to minimize the coaching skills of Self is a little ridiculous.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Mac outcoached him in the OT loss last year. He always has a lot of talent on his teams, and he is a good at getting the talent to come play for him. He does a good job in getting teams ready to play and getting his teams ready in the offseason. He is a good coach but he does get outmatched at times in games.

Oh I forgot you dont like Mac, dont like his coaching, and are Mr negative towards him so matter what I say will be wrong when it comes to supporting Mac.

You could say that about every coach that has ever coached a game.

By the way, I don't appreciate you "putting words into my mouth"...I have never said that I don't like Mac or his coaching. Frankly, I support what he is doing...but that doesn't mean that I have to blindly follow him without ever questioning his approach or results.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I would love to see us throw out something completely unexpected... Maybe go ten deep, press the whole game and run with them, might as well if they aren't expecting it...

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

I think our only hope is for Brandon Rush to get another speeding ticket arrest, but this time suspend him from the team:biglaugh:

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Have Chizik and Cael go down to KU and Tawnya Harding every KU player including Bill Self and that might get close enough to sniff a win.