Couch coaches - How to beat Kansas?

Darth Cy

Oct 24, 2006
Ankeny
With one of the biggest games of the season, what is the best way to beat Kansas?

To me I think the only way to win a game like this is to win ugly. What I mean by that is to try and slow the game down as much as possible. ISU is going to have to really limit turnovers and always keep their person they are guarding in front of them to limit fast break points.

If ISU wants a chance to win I think the final will need to be in the 50's.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Re: Couch coachs - How to beat Kansas?

Offense: Minimal turnovers, make your shots, dont rush, keep a slowed down tempo and make good shot selections

Defense: Attack them every play, force turnovers, no easy buckets, keep them moving at a slower pace.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Which would be very different from our style of play lately. In December, fans were clamoring for a more up-tempo style that "fit our players better".

G-Mac has loosened those reigns a bit, now that most of the guys have learned his system.

I do agree with you, that our only chance is to do this the ugly way, but ugly or pretty - I'd be damn surprised if we're within 10 points of KU when the final minutes arrive.

I also think continuing to do what we've done recently that has been winning us basketball games wouldn't be such a bad idea. Our games certainly have not been the ugly variety over the last couple weeks.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

I think this one and KSU could be ugly. I just hope it does not take away from the confidence this team is starting to develop. After that I don't think there is a game ISU can't win (not saying they are going to win the rest, but should have a decent shot). The big 12 is weaker than the "media" thinks. There is KU and then there are 11 average to above average teams.

If ISU can steal one of the next two, 19-20 wins might not be out of the question and then you are talking bubble.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Not sure how to beat KU at home. Do you mean beat as in cover the spread or beat them outright?

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006

Here are three suggestions:

1. Install a new free throw/dead ball/fast break offense. It's legal in Lawrence you know.

2. Make sure Ed Hightower sees the nasty photoshop thread the KU fans created (see other thread).

3. Somehow convince the KU players and coaches that Wednesday night's game is really a first-round NCAA tournament game. That should do it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Not sure how to beat KU at home. Do you mean beat as in cover the spread or beat them outright?

Spoken like a true bookie. :wink:

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

Here are three suggestions:

1. Install a new free throw/dead ball/fast break offense. It's legal in Lawrence you know.

2. Make sure Ed Hightower sees the nasty photoshop thread the KU fans created (see other thread).

3. Somehow convince the KU players and coaches that Wednesday night's game is really a first-round NCAA tournament game. That should do it.

4. Tell them the game is really on Thursday so it can be on the BTN.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

With one of the biggest games of the season, what is the best way to beat Kansas?

To me I think the only way to win a game like this is to win ugly. What I mean by that is to try and slow the game down as much as possible. ISU is going to have to really limit turnovers and always keep their person they are guarding in front of them to limit fast break points.

If ISU wants a chance to win I think the final will need to be in the 50's.

Agreed! As much as I like the fact we're playing a little more up-temp ball lately, that's the kind of game Kansas wants.

We need to slow it down and make it a half-court game; use a lot of the shot clock, work for good shots and get KU out of the rhythm they are used to.

Above all, handle any pressure & TAKE CARE OF THE BALL!

I'am actually somewhat excited for this game.....if we have a good game plan and execute it to almost near perfection, I think we can compete with KU. There is very little or no margin for error though.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

Slow it down. Maybe throw a triangle and two out there. Kansas isn't as good of shooters, so force them to shoot from outside.
Kansas is very similar to Memphis (very athletic, good big man) and Tim Floyd's triangle and two made Memphis look very average. I think if you mix that up with a trapping man to man, it could confuse Kansas and slow down their offense. On offense, nobody can have an off night.

Darth Cy

Oct 24, 2006
Ankeny

This isn't about moral victories this is about outright winning the game. Then ISU is going to win at KSU then beat Nebraska and then Colorado unitl we win the White House err the Big 12. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

We could always put strychnine in the guacomole.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

Slow the game down to a boring, Larry E-like pace. I also think we need to attack the basker inside and draw fouls like we did against OSU. Jiri needs to get the ball and go to the rim. He doesn't need to make it. He just needs to get on the line.

I like the 3 point shot but I don't like when the 3 comes out early in the shot clock. I know you'll probably have your best looks early but we can't be rushing to shoot in this game or the score will get out of hand. KU will use minimal shot clock when they have possession.

On, D, just keep playing like we have been.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Use all of our guards including Cam Lee to stay fresh during the first 3/4 game.

Must have few turnovers to have a chance.

Switch up defenses. Defense will keep us in the game.

Go inside with our offense to get free throws.

Must force them to shoot from the outside.

Play like AT last game. It is Wargames.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

Score more points then them. Other then that we could hope they don't play good. If they play as good as they can they have more horses then us and will win. We need to play our best game to have a chance. Even if ISU looses I think we can keep it close.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

One funny thing about Kansas ball is they start out like a ball of fire and they sometimes end up not looking as good. This year they appear super, but how many times have they faded at the end in the past?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Snipers?

Honestly though, we'd have to be deadly from three. They're going to pack it in on us, and they have the athletes to defend the dribble drive. We're going to have to make 15 3's in my opinion to win this one.