Cory Johnson

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Not sure what to think of CJ. He gives tons of effort but so far in his career has only scored more than 10 points against Lake Superior St, Northeast Mizzou St, Colorado, Bethune Cookman, and Winston-Salem St.

He has a really hard time matching up with bigs, much to slow to guard a wing, cant create his own shot.... etc...

He does give a lot of effort. Is he ahead or behind where you thought he would be after half his career was over?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I did not have SUPER high expectations for him coming in, but I do believe he could be more serviceable at times, but yeah man, definitely gotta go with a disappointment so far (and i am usually very optimistic when it comes to Iowa State.) He does give a lot of effort, but there are just a lot of things missing in his game. I hope I can eat some crow on this one, but I don't see a a whole lot changing in what we see from him

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
He's behind where I thought he'd be but his size and skill base holds him back. Most likely will be a career backup for us, which is fine. Next season we really need him to step up. I like CJ but he doesn't have much upside. I really liked how he played early last season.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly.. I hate burning that scholly for 2 more years.. I REALLY hope that he turns it around bigtime.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Not sure what to think of CJ. He gives tons of effort but so far in his career has only scored more than 10 points against Lake Superior St, Northeast Mizzou St, Colorado, Bethune Cookman, and Winston-Salem St.

He has a really hard time matching up with bigs, much to slow to guard a wing, cant create his own shot.... etc...

He does give a lot of effort. Is he ahead or behind where you thought he would be after half his career was over?
I think everyone was hoping for more out of CJ. It is too bad we were in such dire need of post players when CJ came in, because I think he could have benefited from a redshirt year. That said, his best years are hopefully ahead of him, because we are going to need his help the next few years. As I've pointed out in some of the Drake threads, it can be amazing what some experience and seniority can do. CJ is still just a sophomore and it would be great to get to the point were we didn't need freshman and sophomores to be big contributers for us.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
CJ will be just fine.....

I really hate after every loss we have to start pointing fingers at players and coaches. We are in a rebuilding mode right now, it will get done and done right, just relax.

By the way baskeball is a team sport it takes a whole team to win and a whole team also shoulders the loss.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I like Cory but his size makes him a tweener. Don't know which way he should head, put on a bunch of muscle and become a bull down low or improve his speed and ballhandling and become more a perimeter player. Can't help but like his effort.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

I really hate after every loss we have to start pointing fingers at players and coaches. We are in a rebuilding mode right now, it will get done and done right, just relax.

By the way baskeball is a team sport it takes a whole team to win and a whole team also shoulders the loss.

He's one guy that who aside from having been hurt/sick, is someone who really needs to play more than 3 minutes a game to do what he can.

I like Cory but his size makes him a tweener. Don't know which way he should head, put on a bunch of muscle and become a bull down low or improve his speed and ballhandling and become more a perimeter player. Can't help but like his effort.

He's at 240, so slimming down isn't much of an option. He's the top effort guy on the team, making me partial to him. There's gonna be scholarship guys that don't play a whole lot, so all you can hope is they give you their best and are a good fit for the team. He's both.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think Corey is the ultimate role player. As others have stated, he doesn't have the size or the athleticism to make up for his lack of size to be a really great player in the Big 12. I think he may have done better at a "mid-major" type of school than he has so far in the Big 12.

All this being said, every single team needs role players and guys who work as hard as Corey does, so I personally think that Corey's best days are ahead of him. No matter how great their high school stats are, not evey single player is going to be able to start right away and make a big impact.

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
Cory is definitely worthy of the big 12, he may not be tall but he does a heck of a job defending big men (ex. greg oden) He has all the hustle in the world and definitely loves the game, im really glad to have him at ISU!

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Corey will be one of those guys that is servicable right now, but it will finally click for him his senior season. Kind of like a Seth Gorney. He has gone from servicable to being a good player.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I like Corey and I'm interested to see how he develops as times goes on. Hell, it would be absolutely fascinating at this point to see a player go all the way from freshman to senior. Other than Rahshon, who was the last one?

Homan, Shirley, Sullivan ... to name a couple.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007

How long is rebuilding taking?