Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here’s what I wish would happen:
Set a date a couple weeks out, say April 20. Stay at home order For 14 days with substantial fines. Healthcare, utilities, gas stations, car repair, farms and food supply, and pharmacies and grocery stores remain open with delivery strongly encouraged, almost nothing else. Maybe a couple other things I’m not thinking of.

Anyone who is not basically prepared right now to be home for 2 weeks is either destitute, severely disabled, or a ******* moron.

How do you enforce this? I also wonder how many people are still in need of TP and such since all of the hoarding took place. If everyone took time to figure out what they REALLY need for two weeks, our shortages wouldn't even be a thing. One bottle of hand sanitizer, and one package of TP can go a long ways.

Also, something that complicates this for spreading:
Say someone has Covid, and is at home for two weeks with their family. Family members might not contract it for the first 10 days, then the next week, they are sick, but no symptoms, but are allowed to leave. Doesn't the cycle still continue after?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Reynolds deserves flack for not calling this a "shelter in place" but the states that are still allowing religious services and non-essential stores to remain open despite calling it a SIP aren't getting near the criticism it deserves.
3vhdmy.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Surprised they would refuse to go to online services like Iowa churches have. And the money isn't like giving a restaurant your business; if someone is dedicated to donating to their church, they'll find a way to get the money there.

Churches in Iowa seem to have adapted well to the new rules.

Ours has been online for a couple years already. Have donations set up to auto withdrawals but don’t receive a enough in that route (maybe 25-35%). Hopefully this pushes it more automatically.

Iowa is ahead of the Ohio that have area, and that is a HUGE area.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I get the idea that many people need and use cars, but please explain why they need to buy a new car now? I never said close the service area, but why are the show rooms still open?
You still have not explained that, no one is doubting we need a vehicle to drive, why go down that bunny trial?

Yes, I have explained it in this thread, but here we are again.

My kid's friend's mom, who is single, totaled her car last month. Totaled. Not just insurance definition totaled, but miracle nobody was killed totaled. She needed a new or replacement car to live a normal life in our very spread out city. Google maps estimates my walk to my Dr.'s office at just over an hour or 3.4 miles. We have two Wal-Marts, which I avoid at all costs, but it estimates them at 3.5 and 6.1 miles from my house. My kid broke his wrist last Fall, his Doctor is 5.2 miles from my house, don't worry, I will just call an ambulance because that will be cheap and a good use of resources. I have no friends here, I have no family here. Do I need to go on?

I am not saying that it should be business as usual at all car dealers, but I am saying that they provide a service that should, in some capacity be available at this time. If that is one person letting one person in at a time and maintaining proper distancing, no contact, home delivery, etc., I don't know. But there will be circumstances when people will need cars and fixing cars isn't always a viable option.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think I agree that insides of places like dealerships shouldn't be packed with people looking at brand new cars, but I've never seen one of those places packed with people. It's usually one or two people, maybe. Anyone else there is sitting down with a salesman trying to figure out how to avoid getting nickel and dimed.

I also don't know too many people that buy brand new cars...most I know look for certified pre-owned, which are outside in the lot.

Side note is I love how car commercials make it look like dealerships are some sort of fun gathering place, like the world is full of regular people buying brand new cars off the line.

Go on a Saturday in the summer and they are packed, not hundreds of people, but well over 10 that are suppose to be in a group. In a small town dealership maybe not, but even in a half way sized town, lot of people there looking, or selling vehicles.
The sells staff, mechanics, people behind the counter doing the paperwork, people getting their vehicle serviced, people looking to buy or trade, it does add up.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yes, I have explained it in this thread, but here we are again.

My kid's friend's mom, who is single, totaled her car last month. Totaled. Not just insurance definition totaled, but miracle nobody was killed totaled. She needed a new or replacement car to live a normal life in our very spread out city. Google maps estimates my walk to my Dr.'s office at just over an hour or 3.4 miles. We have two Wal-Marts, which I avoid at all costs, but it estimates them at 3.5 and 6.1 miles from my house. My kid broke his wrist last Fall, his Doctor is 5.2 miles from my house, don't worry, I will just call an ambulance because that will be cheap and a good use of resources. I have no friends here, I have no family here. Do I need to go on?

I am not saying that it should be business as usual at all car dealers, but I am saying that they provide a service that should, in some capacity be available at this time. If that is one person letting one person in at a time and maintaining proper distancing, no contact, home delivery, etc., I don't know. But there will be circumstances when people will need cars and fixing cars isn't always a viable option.

But you are talking about an extreme case here, no one is denying that it does not happen, what we are saying its unusual and not common place.
And they are business as usual, that is what many of us are trying to point out.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
so why didn't she stop it then???
You think she should have prior knowledge of the event before it happened and been on site to issue a citation or whatever right when it was going on?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You think she should have prior knowledge of the event before it happened and been on site to issue a citation or whatever right when it was going on?
Considering it was brought up in a press conference a few days before it happened, it's possible

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
But you are talking about an extreme case here, no one is denying that it does not happen, what we are saying its unusual and not common place.
And they are business as usual, that is what many of us are trying to point out.

We have found the situation where certain folks will apply every perceived detail that might possibly effect someone, in order to rationalize what they’re told to believe.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Why can't the churches just have their services outside at the church? Tune up a radio station like those people do that put out musical Christmas lights displays, and have everyone listen from their cars.

If they're worried about donations, just tuck their money in their windows for someone to come around and collect.

I'd say I'm shocked by the sheer stupidity in all of this, but really I'm not.

Any one going to church now is just as dumb and selfish as the kids on spring break. Probably more since we’ve had a lot more information on it at this point. They should be shamed just as badly

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Any one going to church now is just as dumb and selfish as the kids on spring break. Probably more since we’ve had a lot more information on it at this point. They should be shamed just as badly
You must be new to how this country works

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Look, all I could find was old data that showed about 14% of all vehicle accidents in 2010 resulted in the car being totaled. There are millions of accidents every year, therefore it is way more common than you know. I would even argue that it is usual and common place.

http://www.leifs.com/blogs/report-more-cars-totaled-each-year-questions-linger/

They are business as usual in Iowa? I don't have a response that wouldn't be political.

You guys are making national headlines, not in a good way. You get the leaders you elect.

https://www.newsweek.com/iowa-gop-g...-place-maybe-dr-fauci-doesnt-have-all-1496125

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Considering it was brought up in a press conference a few days before it happened, it's possible
Didn't know that. I would agree, someone should have done something. Can't say that it is up to the governor to handle those problems herself, but she should certainly be emphasizing enforcement of her orders. From what I'm seeing enforcement is lax all across the country.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Again, aren't we already past this point? Most places have been closed over 2-3 weeks by now. We keep getting told SIP wouldn't change anything anyway, so I guess it's not hurting anyone else that isn't already down, right? Also, I was told the unemployment benefit changes incentivized people on it to not work, I wonder what happened to that opinion...

I've actually heard stories recently, particularly around manufacturing, that some places are already voluntarily closing down or leaning towards shutdowns/layoffs not because of COVID, but because of a lack of work and demand. This problem going to get worse long
Look, all I could find was old data that showed about 14% of all vehicle accidents in 2010 resulted in the car being totaled. There are millions of accidents every year, therefore it is way more common than you know. I would even argue that it is usual and common place.

http://www.leifs.com/blogs/report-more-cars-totaled-each-year-questions-linger/

They are business as usual in Iowa? I don't have a response that wouldn't be political.

You guys are making national headlines, not in a good way. You get the leaders you elect.

https://www.newsweek.com/iowa-gop-g...-place-maybe-dr-fauci-doesnt-have-all-1496125
What is your SIP policies? Where do you live? Are they different than what Iowa is currently doing?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
As I understand it the county health department was there - not sure what their options were as this was held on private property maybe someone could weigh in on that - said they checked or monitored people going in and sent at least 1 car load away . No idea how they were monitoring or what their authority would be to close it down

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

We overhauled how we book and board planes after 9/11 and I'm pretty sure flight travel dipped for a while after.

But that was a concrete, physical thing we could see happening, instead of something like this that people are treating like a myth or weather pattern.

After 9/11, was there anyone out there saying, 'Well, 6,000 people die every day in America, X amount were murdered the same day, planes crash all the time'? Not that I remember. It was shocking and sudden, and people realized how vulnerable they were and changed their behavior. And people are for this, but plenty aren't despite it happening RIGHT NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.