Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I feel it’s simple. If you aren’t eating food GTFO.
Lol... its not that simple from a state policy standpoint, but I understand most people don't look at this from a perspective of what is legal and enforceable.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Lol... its not that simple from a state policy standpoint, but I understand most people don't look at this from a perspective of what is legal and enforceable.
How is it not enforceable that way. I wouldn’t expect it to be enforced really at all but I don’t see how the legal standard couldn’t be places can be open for serving food but not just alcohol.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
How is it not enforceable that way. I wouldn’t expect it to be enforced really at all but I don’t see how the legal standard couldn’t be places can be open for serving food but not just alcohol.

I thought the differentiation between a bar and a restaurant who serves alcohol is based on the percentage of sales between food and alcohol?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I thought the differentiation between a bar and a restaurant who serves alcohol is based on the percentage of sales between food and alcohol?

I think they have different liquor licenses too don't they? I know some states do and that would make a pretty clear line of distinction.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wasn't that attached to smoking in some way though? Wasn't there a period when you could smoke in bars but not restaurants and they used percentage of food sales to make that determination?

From what I can see as far as liquor laws go bars and restaraurants are treated the same with the exception of brew pubs. They are not even defined differently in the code in regards to liquor laws. In fact, when one is mentioned so is the other in almost every instance, meaning they are treated essentially the same. Perhaps there is a difference in public health codes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wasn't that attached to smoking in some way though? Wasn't there a period when you could smoke in bars but not restaurants and they used percentage of food sales to make that determination?

From what I can see as far as liquor laws go bars and restaraurants are treated the same with the exception of brew pubs. They are not even defined differently in the code in regards to liquor laws. In fact, when one is mentioned so is the other in almost every instance, meaning they are treated essentially the same. Perhaps there is a difference in public health codes.

I think it mainly ends up being a zoning difference, where they can locate. Bars being much more limited.

I can remember a few bars running into issues with that. And then there's tipsy crow which somewhat scammed the city by opening as a restaurant and then phasing out its food shortly thereafter and applying for an exception

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I thought a restaurant is a majority food sales, a bar is a majority booze sales, and a tavern doesn't sell food and has lodging

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it mainly ends up being a zoning difference, where they can locate. Bars being much more limited.

I can remember a few bars running into issues with that. And then there's tipsy crow which somewhat scammed the city by opening as a restaurant and then phasing out its food shortly thereafter and applying for an exception
Wouldn't city and counties have their own zoning laws and how they define those businesses? There would be a state standards that all local zoning laws would have to follow, and I'm sure those are subject to approval by the state, but if local ordinances are allowed to define that on their own that actually complicates the matter.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wouldn't city and counties have their own zoning laws and how they define those businesses? There would be a state standards that all local zoning laws would have to follow, and I'm sure those are subject to approval by the state, but if local ordinances are allowed to define that on their own that actually complicates the matter.

I'm not a lawyer, but a quick look at des moines and west des moines ordinances shows each city creating its own definitions in its code.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm not a lawyer, but a quick look at des moines and west des moines ordinances shows each city creating its own definitions in its code.

Correct. It is up to the locality to create the ordinances for bars and restaurants, the only stipulation is that the local ordinance doesn't contradict the state law.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Difficult or not, I think anyone could agree it's not a great time to encourage groups of people to get drunk together in confined spaces. Bars should not be opened. It just makes no sense.

If you think it's impossible to open restaurants without opening bars, then don't open restaurants. I think it's probably too soon to open restaurants anyway. If you are that worried, then issue an order that alcohol may not be served to "dine in" customers. That would eliminate the blurry bar/restaurant line and directly address the problem - people drinking together in groups.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
349 new cases and 9 additional deaths. The cases are coming back down to "normal". I'm curious when the results from the weekend's drive through testing will publish?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Wondering how much of this is due to increased testing.

I wonder where those numbers are coming from. The state website has Black Hawk Co. at 844 cases and Woodbury (Sioux City) at 495, either some of Sioux City is counted across the river or the state website has a delay in reporting

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I wonder where those numbers are coming from. The state website has Black Hawk Co. at 844 cases and Woodbury (Sioux City) at 495, either some of Sioux City is counted across the river or the state website has a delay in reporting

That's my confusion as well. Black Hawk County is reporting 939 on their website and usuall updates mid-afternoon. We'll be over 1000 easy after today's update.

https://www.blackhawkcovid19.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.