Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ok. Then do you have a solution that keeps the virus from spreading until we have a vaccine, which could be never? A solution that doesn't lead to food shortages, power outages, permanent mass unemployment?

What do you think we should be doing 6 months from now?

You'd hope there is a stronger plan being put together at the moment, and throughout the summer on how to be ready for a 2nd (or 3rd) wave and 6 months from now there's more efficiency and balance based on data available, and we're able to be proactive rather than reactive.

spinback32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Much as I feel less negative about Reynolds' handling of this situation than several others here, this really disappoints me. Very short sighted thinking from her.

Does this really mean anything, though? Doesn't seem like anything more than a good faith statement at this point. This doesn't mean Iowa wouldn't do the exact same thing on their own.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok. Then do you have a solution that keeps the virus from spreading until we have a vaccine, which could be never? A solution that doesn't lead to food shortages, power outages, permanent mass unemployment?

What do you think we should be doing 6 months from now?

There's 280 pages of discussion on this here - and a couple thousand in the cave thread.
But since you asked:

To start with - the governor should take this more seriously and stop spreading disinformation. just today she said people should only stay away from work (meat packing plant, etc) if they feel sick. But that ignores that we know asymptomatic people spread the disease. They should quarantine for 7-10 days if they've been in contact with a sick person.

Yesterday's battle, so to speak, is PPE. Everyone working at an "essential" business needs a mask and gloves. If the company can't source them the state should help. If they still can't get them they need to shut it down.

Headlines matter - a stay at home order from the Governor would have a positive effect. As would an order requiring masks.

The next battle - which should already be happening - is to test everyone possible and contact trace positives. That's what we should be doing now - but can't. It's vitally essential that we have a robust testing and tracing procedure in place for 6 months from now.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So the lack of clear communication continues. The governor just says banned and so do the news papers but what does that really mean? According to KCRG it can result in a misdemeanor

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
A phrase like "acceptable deaths" makes it seem like more could have been done to prevent some deaths. If/When someone I know dies of this, I'd like to know everything possible was done to have prevented it. Our current situation is temporary. Everyone needs to realize it. Saying life is currently not worth living is shortsighted. Things will loosen up eventually and possibly return to some semblance of normal. People need to be more patient.
I assume you don’t drive then. I hate the analogy because it isn’t a great one but I think some need to hear it.

Speed limits are set as they are where we as a society have determined acceptable deaths from traffic accidents. If there are no acceptable deaths then we shouldn’t have cars.

You can come up with other scenarios. If there are no acceptable deaths from say tornados then why do we not all live in concrete bunkers. Everyone whether consciously or subconsciously does some sort of cost benefit analysis in every action they take. This idea that we come out of this someday and don’t have to sacrifice anything is BS. I don’t know where that level of tolerance is but there is a level somewhere. People like to act like there is no level where the precautions are to much. Maybe you think the level of tolerance should be higher than others but then debate where the level should be don’t just act like there is no point where it’s to much.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I assume you don’t drive then. I hate the analogy because it isn’t a great one but I think some need to hear it.

Speed limits are set as they are where we as a society have determined acceptable deaths from traffic accidents. If there are no acceptable deaths then we shouldn’t have cars.

You can come up with other scenarios. If there are no acceptable deaths from say tornados then why do we not all live in concrete bunkers. Everyone whether consciously or subconsciously does some sort of cost benefit analysis in every action they take. This idea that we come out of this someday and don’t have to sacrifice anything is BS. I don’t know where that level of tolerance is but there is a level somewhere. People like to act like there is no level where the precautions are to much. Maybe you think the level of tolerance should be higher than others but then debate where the level should be don’t just act like there is no point where it’s to much.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that way so I can't really answer your questions. I do appreciate the discussion.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure of this has been posted..

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...men-test-positive-for-coronavirus-82105413982

Not the same story I read last night, but essentially the same information. Testing on women about to give birth in NYC showed that 29 out of 215 tested positive for Covid19. Out of that 29 only 4 showed any symptoms. Crazy if in fact it is that many asymptomatic carriers. Could also be a very good thing if in fact we are able to build some sort immunity.

Another article : https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...e-but-few-symptoms-in-pregnant-women/2372863/

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This sounds like Tyson and other packers may have been lying to the state. Iowa OSHA announced earlier today that they had no guidance from federal OSHA and had performed no in-person inspections

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Call me fu***** crazy but I would have considered spacing people out and operating slower vs running the throttle wide open and operating at capacity. We are talking about numerous plants that are going to sit idle instead of just reducing their output. Being labeled "essential" doesn't mean you get to ignore all of the other precautions that need to be taken.

You must be new at corporate business. It's astounding how short sighted they can be.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

What a ridiculous and false analogy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You must be new at corporate business. It's astounding how short sighted they can be.

Numbers good: make decisions from many layers up to keep it that way no matter what.

Numbers bad: add more positions and talking people, and more steps to the process of just getting the job done but cut positions that were actually vital.

That's my experience anyway.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
People also have to understand that even a vaccine will not completely help. By the time a vaccine is widely distributed, there will likely be other strains. Yes, the vaccine may help with other strains, but there is no way that we will be able to completely stop this virus.

You don't know that. Nor does anyone. If we were this meek and resigned in the face of polio that disease would have never been eradicated from this country.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Exactly. This is just like unwanted pregnancies...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This guy just accidentally came up with the appropriate acronym for Iowa...the SOS (sort-of-shelter in place). A little too on the nose.

welp, had heard rumors we'd be in lockdown til June, guess that confirms it.

Status
Not open for further replies.