Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Other than requiring more frequent visits to gas stations...
This has actually crossed my mind and entered into my thinking. I probably add 30 miles unnecessarily on average.

Pay at the pump is pretty safe.
I pay at the pump, pump my gas, replace the nozzle, sanitize my hands with a wipe, then sanitize the nozzle and touch pad with the same wipe for the next person before leaving.

Reactions: Statefan10

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Specifically stated as the reason we cannot know names and results of anyone tested at my company.

Except in general HIPAA doesn't apply to employers, just to healthcare providers/insurers. It is a common misconception.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Regarding "the model," the data being used for the baseline already includes the effects of what is currently being done. That is to say, it already includes the effects of the current statewide school closures and non-essential business shutdowns. The model shows what would happen if we continued our current actions (based on the current data, which includes school/business closures), and THEN locked things down more in 7 days. So the model does include what you're doing now, because that's baked into the baseline data. Practically speaking, it may be an underestimate because you can't close schools more than they already have, but the model assumes you could.

Reactions: Trice

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
614 cases today (+65), 74 hospitalized (+12), 11 deaths (+2)
I believe that's the biggest one day total for hospitalizations so far. I could be wrong.
816 tests, 66 +, 3rd highest + daily total.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Regarding "the model," the data being used for the baseline already includes the effects of what is currently being done. That is to say, it already includes the effects of the current statewide school closures and non-essential business shutdowns. The model shows what would happen if we continued our current actions (based on the current data, which includes school/business closures), and THEN locked things down more in 7 days. So the model does include what you're doing now, because that's baked into the baseline data. Practically speaking, it may be an underestimate because you can't close schools more than they already have, but the model assumes you could.

I've made the same point about our existing mitigation measures being baked into the baseline data. But the model doesn't know those are happening. So how does it assume those will continue for the next seven days?

I agree though that the model may be an underestimate, though for a different reason - we aren't going to lock businesses down as tightly as the model assumes we will.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
JHC, why does there seem to be a parade outside my window every day? A few days ago it was the teachers driving by, yesterday people were honking for a birthday, and just now about 15 cars(School aged kids) drove by and I have no clue why.

I really can't imagine people making it more than another month. We had people on Facebook nearly crying because "how can the association send me a letter (no fine) about leaving out my garbage can in a time when we're going through so much?". Here is an idea, if your greatest concern is a letter telling you to do what you agreed to do when you bought the house, you don't have real problems.

Reactions: wxman1 and Acylum

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
For the umpteenth time, if there's no practical difference in places with an SIP and what we're doing, then why wouldn't she just issue the SIP and end the debate? What is she holding out for? Is there any plausible reason for that?

Follow the money.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
JHC, why does there seem to be a parade outside my window every day? A few days ago it was the teachers driving by, yesterday people were honking for a birthday, and just now about 15 cars(School aged kids) drove by and I have no clue why.

I really can't imagine people making it more than another month. We had people on Facebook nearly crying because "how can the association send me a letter (no fine) about leaving out my garbage can in a time when we're going through so much?". Here is an idea, if your greatest concern is a letter telling you to do what you agreed to do when you bought the house, you don't have real problems.
I think there are some schools doing some sort of parade thing for students. We had one in my town yesterday and I've heard of others doing it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I subscribe to "What's New at the National Academies" emails and today's message has a couple links about the coronavirus and COVID-19 (they are different). Perhaps this link to latest news and resources related to COVID-19 will settle some of you down a bit. https://nam.edu/coronavirus-resources/

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd love to see Reynolds think outside the box. How about leaving the current restrictions in place but put a restriction that if you leave the house, you must wear a mask? I don't know what Japan is doing but their numbers seem to be low and I rarely see a picture out of Japan without someone wearing a mask. Make this as common as no shirt, no shoes, no service. I'm probably high..

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'd love to see Reynolds think outside the box. How about leaving the current restrictions in place but put a restriction that if you leave the house, you must wear a mask? I don't know what Japan is doing but their numbers seem to be low and I rarely see a picture out of Japan without someone wearing a mask. Make this as common as no shirt, no shoes, no service. I'm probably high..
The WHO is catching a ton of guff right now because they not only put out an article a while back telling people not to worry "this virus does not spread from person to person", and they had an article during the beginning of this outbreak in America saying masks did not offer protection.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Would you need a mask to go get a mask. I got one so I would be ok

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Here I am complaining to everyone about the safety of myself, my family, and those like me, while not even thinking of those who still have to deal with their garbage during these times. How ignorant of me.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The WHO is catching a ton of guff right now because they not only put out an article a while back telling people not to worry "this virus does not spread from person to person", and they had an article during the beginning of this outbreak in America saying masks did not offer protection.
The incredible thing about that is that was 1/14 or 1/15. They re-tweeted the Chinese gov't's tweet actually. This was long after China had begun rounding up doctors for trying to get alerts out to the rest of the world. China needs to pay.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The incredible thing about that is that was 1/14 or 1/15. They re-tweeted the Chinese gov't's tweet actually. This was long after China had begun rounding up doctors for trying to get alerts out to the rest of the world. China needs to pay.
Yeah that it so so troubling. And yes, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.