Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
These maps generally disagree with you
EUmPfjRXkAE7Vz6

EUmPfjQWoAQGw4J

But Wayne County is real close to some of those darker counties.

I'm not sure a raw number like 2 miles really tracks well.

Iowa has looked worse in metrics that better track on a percentage basis.

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

Screenshot_20200402-105954_Chrome.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm sure there is already a lot of that going around right now.. Why does a local mom and pop clothing store have to close down, but Walmart gets to continue to sell all items whether they're essential or not? Why not close off the clothing sections or other sections that other stores had to shut down for?

Becuse Wal Mart sells more than just what a mom and pop clothing store sells? That's really not a difficult one...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That I can't answer, other than to say maybe it was being used early on, but not any longer.
Finally we can agree on something lol. As I said earlier and I think most people can agree with, Governor Reynolds should do a better job at explaining the data/metrics her and her team have been using..

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Heard it’s a high pop of Amish people. Must not be checking their twitter accounts

Its basically all Amish, this is sale is in the school district that I teach in. Wayne Co. has a huge number of Amish, in the southern and western part of the county. I have a couple Amish kids in class this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Becuse Wal Mart sells more than just what a mom and pop clothing store sells? That's really not a difficult one...
But then why doesn't Wal-Mart have to close off their sections to toys, video games, clothes, etc? Are those considered essential during this time? What if a retail store also sells Ibuprofen or Tylenol?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But then why doesn't Wal-Mart have to close off their sections to toys, video games, clothes, etc? Are those considered essential during this time? What if a retail store also sells Ibuprofen or Tylenol?

So let me get this straight. In a time where they are recommending keeping people as far away from each other as is possible, you want Wal-Mart to section of certain portions of the store to further consolidate the number of people there into a smaller area?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Are clothing and shoe stores actually required to close under SIP/SAH orders? I find that very odd given the list of exemptions.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Are clothing and shoe stores actually required to close under SIP/SAH orders? I find that very odd given the list of exemptions.

I saw Kohls sells nurse scrubs. Providing supplies to an essential business. They get to stay.

See how easy this is?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

If you have kids, you'd know how important video games are for parents WFH right now.

Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I saw Kohls sells nurse scrubs. Providing supplies to an essential business. They get to stay.

See how easy this is?
I would consider clothing and shoes essential for everybody. Maybe the "mom and pop shoe store" being thrown around as an example was just off base and I'm taking it too literally.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So let me get this straight. In a time where they are recommending keeping people as far away from each other as is possible, you want Wal-Mart to section of certain portions of the store to further consolidate the number of people there into a smaller area?
Absolutely not. I'm playing devil's advocate here. These are arguments that I've either heard at work, or seen on my social media timeline from people who don't think it's fair that any business has to close.

This does bring up what you said though earlier about one company being able to pin point one essential thing they do in order to qualify as being an essential business. A retail store might be able to provide something that is essential, but they were still closed. A business that is currently open that only provides a limited essential might still have to close because that's not their main priority.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Huge horse auction in wayne county right now. Hundreds of people in attendance. Iowans are not "doing the right thing".
"Horse auction" would legally fall into the essential business definition of "agriculture." Legally, they could do that in most states with SIP orders. Smart? No. Complies with Proclamation/SIP orders? Yes.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

See how easy this is?

Kohl's apparently doesn't think it's essential because its stores are closed nationwide.

Scrubs are a great example of something that is necessary but people could go without buying for a short time or buy in some other way. There is no shortage, nor does the sale of scrubs stop when Kohl's closed its doors.

Those seem like easy loopholes to close in times like these.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

See how easy this is?

You've got it.

Again, my area has been under a SIP for 9 days now. Nebraska Furniture Mart stayed open because they sell items needed to work from home. They ultimately scaled back to curbside pickup after public shaming. Bass Pro and Cabellas have stayed open claiming to be a grocery store as they sell a few food items. Hobby Lobby also claims to provide items needed to work from home. Even when challenged by residents, beauty supply stores have been confirmed exempted by the local government supporting work from home.

Of course beyond this are the long list of exemptions in the original order. Hardware stores, auto parts stores, mechanics, construction, restaurants for carryout, professional services for regulatory mandates, etc. And of course the ultimate wildcard of businesses supporting essential businesses.

Really the only thing that changed for me between the school and restaurant closure and the full SIP is that my barber closed and they roped off the playgrounds at the parks. (The parks themselves are still open.)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not sure a raw number like 2 miles really tracks well.

Iowa has looked worse in metrics that better track on a percentage basis.

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

View attachment 71002

Really? A lot of the places where people are staying within 2 miles are heavily rural counties where most people have to travel some for the essentials.

I live in one of those heavily rural, and also compliant counties, and the data is backing up what I see in person. Nobody on the roads, and just a general sense of emptiness outside grocery stores and gas stations. People moving around on foot, but pretty much staying home.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Really? A lot of the places where people are staying within 2 miles are heavily rural counties where most people have to travel some for the essentials.

I live in one of those heavily rural, and also compliant counties, and the data is backing up what I see in person. Nobody on the roads, and just a general sense of emptiness outside grocery stores and gas stations. People moving around on foot, but pretty much staying home.
I'm not helping our metric- I have a small grocery store in town, but it sucks. So I'm driving 12 miles to get to Hy Vee or Fareway. Plus I know the large chains are doing a better job at sanitation.
Edit- and to be brutally honest, the longer the drive, the longer I'm out of the house. And to be even more brutally honest, I'm not going straight home afterwards. I'm driving the back roads, seeing what field work is going on, etc. I don't see how I'm endangering anybody by doing that once every 10 days or so.

Reactions: jdolson and wxman1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not helping our metric- I have a small grocery store in town, but it sucks. So I'm driving 12 miles to get to Hy Vee or Fareway. Plus I know the large chains are doing a better job at sanitation.
Edit- and to be brutally honest, the longer the drive, the longer I'm out of the house. And to be even more brutally honest, I'm not going straight home afterwards. I'm driving the back roads, seeing what field work is going on, etc. I don't see how I'm endangering anybody by doing that once every 10 days or so.

You could do that every day and not endanger someone. The driving around part anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron