Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What industry do you work in?

(sorry if you've already said)
I work in marketing for a manufacturing company. I don't want to provide too much information in case I get into trouble lol.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No, trump cannot mandate all bars and restaurants opened, but his opinion does hold a lot of weight to some of these governors, especially those that are republicans. If Gov. Reynolds were a democrat, I would say with almost 100% confidence we'd already be in a state shutdown.

Reynolds has taken this much more seriously than Trump.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Oh I would absolutely agree. But I do think she is being a bit reactive instead of proactive like some states have been.

Perhaps, but so far it's been in line with Iowa's needs. I realize why some want to get more aggressive now, but the next level isn't much more than where we're currently at, and our case growth has been steady vs. exponential. Obviously we aren't testing as many people as we should, but you can extrapolate things from the testing we're doing.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
It doesn't seem like the stores have been that busy in the last week or so, in Ames anyways.

Ames was never that bad when I went to the grocery store, except for Wal-mart. Mostly because most of the hoarding happened right at the beginning of spring break. Of course there were a few days where some of the shelves were empty but not everything.

Ankeny on the other hand is/was a different story.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Perhaps, but so far it's been in line with Iowa's needs. I realize why some want to get more aggressive now, but the next level isn't much more than where we're currently at, and our case growth has been steady vs. exponential. Obviously we aren't testing as many people as we should, but you can extrapolate things from the testing we're doing.
I think that jumping the gun too early could've been a little over the top and maybe what we currently have is working to the extent of not spreading this virus in large crowds, but from a lot of the cases brought to light yesterday, it seems as if this is now spreading in workplaces. Quaker Oats in CR just had a confirmed case. 5 people within care facilities tested positive (which was part of her criteria).

So maybe the decisions she's been making have been good up to this point, but if these cases are still popping up in businesses that are running like nothing is wrong, which is a lot of them, then she needs to take the next step. I've seen numerous stories of people who cannot receive testing because they don't fit into the criteria needed, but they still have to return to work because they won't be sent home unless they test positive. That is not good and will only increase the spread of this.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I love the dumbasses that could work from home but don't and think it's ok because they just go to work and the store. It's like the virus will take it easy on them because going to the store is essential.

I know several people who were basically forced to work from home. WFH started off as a strong suggestion but they refused to pack their stuff up and take it home so they had to make them. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
States like New York, Washington, and Illinois have had to be more proactive than us.
No doubt.. Those types of states absolutely need to be more proactive than us. There are also some states with far less people than Iowa who have been more proactive (Idaho and West Virginia). There are areas within Iowa where these cases are predominantly spreading, and I think those areas should probably take action on their own in trying to stop this. Mayors of our larger cities have come out and spoken about doing so, but would rather have Reynolds take initiative. Another large spike in those places and they might not have a choice but to make a decision.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No doubt.. Those types of states absolutely need to be more proactive than us. There are also some states with far less people than Iowa who have been more proactive (Idaho and West Virginia). There are areas within Iowa where these cases are predominantly spreading, and I think those areas should probably take action on their own in trying to stop this. Mayors of our larger cities have come out and spoken about doing so, but would rather have Reynolds take initiative. Another large spike in those places and they might not have a choice but to make a decision.
It is what it is, but if we shut everything down for 2 weeks, there will just be a spike in cases once that hard shutdown is over. I think we have handled it just fine, and the important thing is that places that are able to keep working from home do so and retired seniors or higher risk people still continue staying home and distancing themselves if they do go to the grocery store.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What is the best time to hit the grocery store now? When are they least busy?

Here in WDM the stores appear to have stabilized. They appear to be pretty steady but not like it was two weeks ago. TP and cleaning products/disinfecting wipes are still tough to come by though.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think that jumping the gun too early could've been a little over the top and maybe what we currently have is working to the extent of not spreading this virus in large crowds, but from a lot of the cases brought to light yesterday, it seems as if this is now spreading in workplaces. Quaker Oats in CR just had a confirmed case. 5 people within care facilities tested positive (which was part of her criteria).

So maybe the decisions she's been making have been good up to this point, but if these cases are still popping up in businesses that are running like nothing is wrong, which is a lot of them, then she needs to take the next step. I've seen numerous stories of people who cannot receive testing because they don't fit into the criteria needed, but they still have to return to work because they won't be sent home unless they test positive. That is not good and will only increase the spread of this.
Again I really think you are taking your scenario and extrapolating it much more broadly than it should be. Your examples of Quaker Oats and care facilities still aren’t shutting down regardless. They are absolutely essential businesses.

I be said it before and I will say it again. What we really need is a targeted crackdown on people like your company who are not letting people WFH when they can. All my friends and family have transitioned to WFH who can.

I still think locking people in their houses which is about the only thing left is more harmful than helpful.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It is what it is, but if we shut everything down for 2 weeks, there will just be a spike in cases once that hard shutdown is over. I think we have handled it just fine, and the important thing is that places that are able to keep working from home do so and retired seniors or higher risk people still continue staying home and distancing themselves if they do go to the grocery store.
There is going to be a spike in cases regardless of whether or not we shut down, but the spread will continue without anything else being done. Yes, the spread is being cut down right now with people working from home and certain businesses not being open, but it's still spreading because there are businesses currently operating as if absolutely nothing is wrong. I'm seeing it with my own eyes in my workplace and I'm hearing it from other people as well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Agreed completely. I have no resistance to a further shutdown of non-essential businesses either, but I don't know that it was previously needed. I'm on record here saying we will see it in the next few days.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

As a said before by others, the number of cases and ability for it to spread is going to of course be more prominent in higher density population areas. However, if some of the more rural areas are not cautious, it could be terrible, as they have limited access to much ICU capacity. So I think for rural communities the outcome could be one extreme or the other.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There is going to be a spike in cases regardless of whether or not we shut down, but the spread will continue without anything else being done. Yes, the spread is being cut down right now with people working from home and certain businesses not being open, but it's still spreading because there are businesses currently operating as if absolutely nothing is wrong. I'm seeing it with my own eyes in my workplace and I'm hearing it from other people as well.
Isn't that ok though? I mean, the whole idea of "flatten the curve" isn't to eliminate the virus, it's to keep the rate of infection consistent, so the number of people requiring hospitalization is consistent and hopefully below the threshold for what hospitals can handle.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Oh I would absolutely agree. But I do think she is being a bit reactive instead of proactive like some states have been.

States that have the lockdown orders still have people going out and working that shouldn't be. It's not being enforced, so what difference does it make? Do we want the military and police to be deployed to start arresting people and dragging them off to detention centers?? Maybe weld apartment doors and windows shut?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Again I really think you are taking your scenario and extrapolating it much more broadly than it should be. Your examples of Quaker Oats and care facilities still aren’t shutting down regardless. They are absolutely essential businesses.

I be said it before and I will say it again. What we really need is a targeted crackdown on people like your company who are not letting people WFH when they can. All my friends and family have transitioned to WFH who can.

I still think locking people in their houses which is about the only thing left is more harmful than helpful.
Yes Quaker Oats is essential and must operate but they're an example of how it's continuing to spread in work environments. And how do you suppose cracking down on singular companies? How would that work? Lol the only way for that to happen would be for some sort of mandate.

And I'm not for making people stay in their homes. That's incredibly extreme. That's not how a lot of states are operating. Most allow you to leave for essentials, go on walks / exercise, etc. It's about limiting the amount of people in certain areas. I can guarantee you there are work places that have more than 10+ people interacting with one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron