Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's pretty obvious that Reynolds has no clue how this virus works. She's always stated for the most part that it's not an issue until you have symptoms. That is SO wrong, and so dangerous.

She didn't want to shut any school down until they had a case of corona. How flippin' clueless is that? Idiotic.

Yeah, the way they've described this is pretty ignorant.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They extended it out to July 30 awhile ago.

Cool...I'm not expecting to be able to get back in time even now...there's some very dire things looming from this that make me wonder if I'll get back under my typical 'normal' conditions ever again.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My neighbor, who works administration for a hospital group in Iowa, said the Iowa hospitals are currently running at less than 50% occupancy. He said NYC usually runs mid 80’s in regular times. He thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion. With that said, I trust his opinion about the same as most of the people in here.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
My neighbor, who works administration for a hospital group in Iowa, said the Iowa hospitals are currently running at less than 50% occupancy. He said NYC usually runs mid 80’s in regular times. He thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion. With that said, I trust his opinion about the same as most of the people in here.
Having lived in NYC and Chicago, I told my family in Iowa they are in a much safer place than most.

ICU bed count per capita at risk is good. The inherent social distancing really keeps the denominator down compared to larger urban areas.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

1- iowa is early on in this
2- hospitals may see a dip in use before the wave hits as people stop going for less pressing matters but the wave for covid19 hasnt hit yet.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
2- hospitals may see a dip in use before the wave hits as people stop going for less pressing matters but the wave for covid19 hasnt hit yet.

Agreed on both counts. We're just getting started and if people start letting up now, we're all screwed.

I'd like to hear what he has to say in two more weeks. I hope it's the same, but I don't believe it will be.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I hope this is the case. But to be clear, we still have to make an effort to stop the spread.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

#2 is most definitely true. People staying tf away from hospitals.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Another model of how social distancing saves lives:

mo6ds5wswoo41.gif

Even though the model represents the same number of people being infected, the first example burns itself out in about 60 days with a huge number dead. The second model takes 90 days to slow the spread and almost 6 months to burn it out. Another key difference is that virtually everyone who needs a hospital bed is able to get one in the second scenario (although presumably some of those die as well.)

In other words, we're about 18 days into a 90 day ride.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The problem with these people is social distancing will be a self fulfilling prophecy.
If we do things right, and keep the numbers down, these people will say See! This was never a problem! The media just blew it out of proportion!

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.