Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Do these beds need the supplies with them?

Are there people that have been in the hospital, that need some form of bed and care, but could stay at a place like a hotel or something?

(I'm assuming there wouldn't be enough direct care available for that but just a thought).
This chart doesn’t mean we have enough beds, just more than others. We have fewer hospital beds, but that seems like an easier fix.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/upshot/coronavirus-biggest-worry-hospital-capacity.html

It’s estimated that we have about 45,000 intensive care unit beds in the United States. In a moderate outbreak, about 200,000 Americans would need one

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Italy is more densely populated than the US.
I'm encouraged by the steps that state governments seem to be taking. I've been very worried about the next 10 days (tracking the US compared to Italy). We're going to find out if these steps were too little too late.
While that's true, we have far more larger cities than they do and ours spread coast to coast.. Their largest city (Rome), would come in at #5 in the United States as far as population goes. Des Moines would be rated #13 in Italy.

That's why it's a little bit scary to think of how widespread this will get and what the numbers will end up being by the time this reaches the peak. Their hospitals were not ready for something like this. The question will be whether are hospitals will be ready or not.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think the potential long lasting effects of getting the virus haven't been explained well enough to people. There is a lot of talk about the elderly and mortality but not enough talk about younger people and permanent scarring to the lungs. I have seen reports that some of the younger adults are actually the ones getting hit really hard in terms of the effects of the virus. I don't know why, but I have wondered if one reason is they aren't as quick to see a doctor.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While that's true, we have far more larger cities than they do and ours spread coast to coast.. Their largest city (Rome), would come in at #5 in the United States as far as population goes. Des Moines would be rated #13 in Italy.

That's why it's a little bit scary to think of how widespread this will get and what the numbers will end up being by the time this reaches the peak. Their hospitals were not ready for something like this. The question will be whether are hospitals will be ready or not.

They won't be.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the potential long lasting effects of getting the virus haven't been explained well enough to people. There is a lot of talk about the elderly and mortality but not enough talk about younger people and permanent scarring to the lungs. I have seen reports that some of the younger adults are actually the ones getting hit really hard in terms of the effects of the virus. I don't know why, but I have wondered if one reason is they aren't as quick to see a doctor.

Right now they likely can't see a Dr. until it is extreme symptoms.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That very well may be the right thing to do.
I've been told by my employers that they won't do that.. That they can't do that, because it'll ruin the economy. But they've already done that in multiple cities in the US and New York will probably be added to that list. I would not be surprised if that's what it comes to as the numbers start increasing.

I was told "well Iowa wouldn't do that because we don't have populations as high and aren't the same as the larger cities", but we still have some cities with quite a few people in which people are constantly coming into contact with one another and businesses with 50+ employees. What if a few people in that office won't comply and are careless? Well then there you go.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Do these beds need the supplies with them?

Are there people that have been in the hospital, that need some form of bed and care, but could stay at a place like a hotel or something?

(I'm assuming there wouldn't be enough direct care available for that but just a thought).

Considering my wife has several issues that places her in the immunocompromised segment of society, this all hits home pretty hard, however we have been taking this all seriously from the start and are thankful for the supplies we do have at home to aid us. We have a oxygen concentrator, plenty of nebulizer treatments, and some steroid meds, which is essentially what a hospital would do just short of intubation and a ventilator which are last ditch efforts.

We can also track our O2 saturation with our Samsung Health app on our phones which a lot of people don't realize they can do (every time we have checked this it has been identical to the doctor's office). We also have a blood pressure cuff to check our bp.

So most of her care or our family's care we can take care of without need of going to the hospital unless it gets bad.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've been told by my employers that they won't do that.. That they can't do that, because it'll ruin the economy. But they've already done that in multiple cities in the US and New York will probably be added to that list. I would not be surprised if that's what it comes to as the numbers start increasing.

I was told "well Iowa wouldn't do that because we don't have populations as high and aren't the same as the larger cities", but we still have some cities with quite a few people in which people are constantly coming into contact with one another and businesses with 50+ employees. What if a few people in that office won't comply and are careless? Well then there you go.

All of the second paragraph already happened.

Repeating but there's ways to boost the economy when the time is right, but it will be deemed as political.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All of the second paragraph already happened.

Repeating but there's ways to boost the economy when the time is right, but it will be deemed as political.
Agreed. And yeah that's what I was thinking too. I mean they didn't just close down bars/restaurants in all the big cities in the US, and they didn't just close down the bars/restaurants in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids. I'll be watching how the surroundings states keep dealing with everything because it appears Governor Reynolds is following suit with everything. Not saying she's doing a poor job either, I'm just saying she's making sure she views all of her options before making her decision. Unlike the West Virginia Governor who yesterday was actually telling people to go out to restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron