Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Got this notice a little bit ago:

"The City of Ankeny is closing all public facilities at 1 p.m. today, March 17, 2020.

The City of Ankeny announced significant changes to its operations today due to the Governor’s announcement of substantial community spread of COVID-19 in Polk County."

That's only part of the message. Did she actually say there is significant community spread in polk county? I understand that you might presume that, but are there a large number of confirmed cases to back that up?

I did hear this morning that there is a case that was confirmed at a business in Johnston that will probably be part of the daily news dump when that happens. Maybe there are more that were confirmed today.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The Recorder's Office in my county sent out an e-mail basically saying the office is locked but if you have something to record just knock on the window and they'll pass it through. Small town Iowa at its best.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloneLawman

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

"The City of Ankeny is closing all public facilities at 1 p.m. today, March 17, 2020.

The City of Ankeny announced significant changes to its operations today due to the Governor’s announcement of substantial community spread of COVID-19 in Polk County."

That's only part of the message. Did she actually say there is significant community spread in polk county? I understand that you might presume that, but are there a large number of confirmed cases to back that up?

I did hear this morning that there is a case that was confirmed at a business in Johnston that will probably be part of the daily news dump when that happens. Maybe there are more that were confirmed today.
An employee of Corteva (formerly Pioneer) tested positive.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Cy$

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree. I’ve seen some sources saying “older population, heavy smokers”, but I don’t think there are any heavier smokers than the Chinese.
South Korea has had much lower fatality rates. We don't know what the U.S. will resemble. Our government was "ahead of the curve" compared to Italy with closing events, schools and businesses, I believe. I don't know if the general public response has been better, though. That's ultimately what it comes down to.

Iowa is probably also a week or two behind Seattle, New York and some other major cities with direct connections to international flights. We're also not as densely populated which has to help. Keep a close eye on Seattle over the next week.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Been monitoring the wild protein in the hood. Wild turkey, deer, gray squirrels, mallards, geese, and feral cats (Chinese stir fry). Red squirrels and chipmonks as last resort species. Would have to walk a couple blocks to the park for the geese since geese like to hang out in the park and **** all over everything but all the others could be taken in my yard.

I have a rabbit that lives in our yard. I also have three shih tzus that absolutely suck at catching rabbits, so he thinks he is safe (insert evil laugh here)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

If she said that, I haven't seen it reported anywhere. Maybe a communications person in Ankeny just made some assumptions.

Having said that, it's certainly safe to assume it's happening.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

The city can close things, but the fact is, people have to buy in. Ames closed all parks and yet when I go home, I see plenty of cars there and people out there. Too many people still thinking they are "invincible". Sacrifice the time now so we can all go places sooner rather than later. I'd love to take my dog to the park, but I prefer following direction a little bit more.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Doesn’t Italy have an older population that loves kissing each other as a formal greeting? May explain part of their problem...
I think they are also known for families living together. Like, kids, parents, grandparents all in one household. That would definitely increase exposure to the elderly population.

Status
Not open for further replies.