Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Anybody been to Hy-Vee or Fareway today? Assume panic buying is picking up.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
I made my beer run to Hy-Vee yesterday after work. Was informed the Governor's office was asking for a count of how many people can work from home by the end of the day, so figured on the off chance things were moving quickly I would stock up ahead of the crowd.

Anyway, no, it wasn't too busy yet from what I could tell.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Costco in WDM was not unusually busy as of 6:00 last night. Tons of bottled water for sale and it appeared to be moving quickly. Most all paper products gone except for napkins and industrial/bathroom paper towels, I think. I overheard someone say more TP would arrive today and they expected it to sell out quickly. Soap and sanitizer sold out, someone else said rice had sold out. As best I can tell, inventory looked good otherwise.

I would guess traffic would be picking up today even without coronavirus. Spring break is coming (kids at home, eating more) and Costco's new coupon book started yesterday.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Not today. I was at the Windsor Heights Hy Vee last night to grab a few things. They were totally sold out of hand sanitizer and running pretty low on TP (which, why?) and disinfectant wipes, but everything else was pretty much normal. I usually make my big grocery run on Friday but I might knock it out tonight just in case. Interesting times.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not today. I was at the Windsor Heights Hy Vee last night to grab a few things. They were totally sold out of hand sanitizer and running pretty low on TP (which, why?) and disinfectant wipes, but everything else was pretty much normal. I usually make my big grocery run on Friday but I might knock it out tonight just in case. Interesting times.

People are scared they are going to have a not stop **** fest I guess?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Costco in WDM was not unusually busy as of 6:00 last night. Tons of bottled water for sale and it appeared to be moving quickly. Most all paper products gone except for napkins and industrial/bathroom paper towels, I think. I overheard someone say more TP would arrive today and they expected it to sell out quickly. Soap and sanitizer sold out, someone else said rice had sold out. As best I can tell, inventory looked good otherwise.

I would guess it picks up today.

Ummm I was out there on Saturday morning and it was out of control. I got there just after they opened and it was already packed. I would say it was busier than any time I was there over the holidays.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday.
Bought my first bottle of the stuff over the weekend and I really like it.

As for the coronavirus thing, the toilet paper sellouts are insane. Someone took a picture of the empty TP aisle at Walmart in Newton. This is quite the social experiment.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and NorthCyd

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I made my beer run to Hy-Vee yesterday after work. Was informed the Governor's office was asking for a count of how many people can work from home by the end of the day, so figured on the off chance things were moving quickly I would stock up ahead of the crowd.

Anyway, no, it wasn't too busy yet from what I could tell.

Curious as to whom they are requesting this from? State employees or business too?

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sorry not DSM but I’m going to Costco out in the CBUS burbs in about 30 minutes. Will report back. There are 3 Costcos within a 10-12 mile radius of our neighborhood for reference so we shall see what it looks like.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Ummm I was out there on Saturday morning and it was out of control. I got there just after they opened and it was already packed. I would say it was busier than any time I was there over the holidays.

Did you catch the part where I said "not unusually busy as of 6:00 last night"? I don't claim to know what Saturday morning was like.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Curious as to whom they are requesting this from? State employees or business too?
State employees. I know they were already discussing hypothetical plans last week, but sounds like the urgency has picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.