Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wouldn't places with higher populations also be expected to have a higher number of hospital beds and resources as well?
Yes, most do, however possibly not enough for when this gets to it's peak, which some people predict is still a week or two away.

Same goes for us though, we're just scaled differently. U of I hospital has come out and say they expect to run out of resources by Friday.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Now they need to start getting people to realize that this could last through the entire summer, not just a few weeks. If they are serious about not overwhelming the healthcare system people need to start getting the mindset that things will be shut down until late summer early fall, best case scenario.
So, you don't want the farmers to be able to plant their crops?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Part of the reason for this is Iowa is already a C-hair away from shelter in place.

All that shelter in place will do at this point is close malls, which is a good and necessary step, but we're 90% of the way there as it is.

Our resources are probably better directed at ramping up testing, and getting supplies to our hospitals.
Yes, we're close to a shelter in place, as is almost every single state. But it's still spreading in various communities and when you have shopping centers / malls still open, it's a huge concern. Scheels where I live was absolutely flooded with people. I've seen shopping center parking lots completely filled. That increases the spread, which takes it to other places like work environments. There are also work places that are still open who have hundreds of employees that this could be spreading in.

The more it spreads, the more people fall ill, the more hospitals get overwhelmed and things start to get worse.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa has more cases than similar population states.

We are 30/31 in population and 33 in number of cases. I would say population wise we are about right there in comparison. There will be a few with smaller pops that will be higher and vice versa, but we are about where we should expect population wise.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm still going to work and I drive home for lunch every day around noon/12:30.

That's when traffic seems to be at its highest peak. Who do I see most on the roads around that noon time?

60+ year olds.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yes, we're close to a shelter in place, as is almost every single state. But it's still spreading in various communities and when you have shopping centers / malls still open, it's a huge concern. Scheels where I live was absolutely flooded with people. I've seen shopping center parking lots completely filled. That increases the spread, which takes it to other places like work environments. There are also work places that are still open who have hundreds of employees that this could be spreading in.

The more it spreads, the more people fall ill, the more hospitals get overwhelmed and things start to get worse.
I have said before I just have not seen the massive amount of people out. I also have been against a shelter in place. With that said I would be supportive of shutting down malls for the most part. For example Jordan creek could be shut down minus the Apple store and maybe some sort of appointment only thing for Scheels.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have said before I just have not seen the massive amount of people out. I also have been against a shelter in place. With that said I would be supportive of shutting down malls for the most part. For example Jordan creek could be shut down minus the Apple store and maybe some sort of appointment only thing for Scheels.

Lindale Mall in CR has closed.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012

I think all Apple stores have already closed.

• Informative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm for whatever helps at this point. If our elected officials deem it necessary to shut everything down for a week or two, then I'd comply. I think the measures you said above are a must. Anything to limit this spread and to not have our healthcare system become overwhelmed. If we end up shutting down entirely or specifically in our larger populated areas, we'd be doing nothing different than many other states are doing.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm still going to work and I drive home for lunch every day around noon/12:30.

That's when traffic seems to be at its highest peak. Who do I see most on the roads around that noon time?

60+ year olds.
I noticed that as well. We went out on Sunday to buy eggs from an acquaintance who has chickens. And every car we met seemed to have old folks driving it. And yesterday, I had a midday grocery pickup from Hy-Vee and almost every person I saw in the parking lot appeared to be above the age of 60.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I noticed that as well. We went out on Sunday to buy eggs from an acquaintance who has chickens. And every car we met seemed to have old folks driving it. And yesterday, I had a midday grocery pickup from Hy-Vee and almost every person I saw in the parking lot appeared to be above the age of 60.

Looks like women are contracting this at a higher rate than men in Iowa. Somehow they will blame us men for it though. :)

• Funny
Reactions: dosry5

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My reason for that was people still need phones and Apple has made it so only they can fix an iPhone. Have they announced ways to deal with people who have broken Apple items for the time being?

I always mail mine in. Takes a few days to get it done and they will overnight a loaner to you if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
My reason for that was people still need phones and Apple has made it so only they can fix an iPhone. Have they announced ways to deal with people who have broken Apple items for the time being?

That I am not 100% sure on.

Phone stores still open? I know they can't fix all the issues.

Call centers?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That seems like a pretty low human interaction job. If farmers usually have multiple people in the cab while planting they should limit it to one person.

It is the picking up seed, coops who spread fertilizer and spray chemicals. Insecticides also. Now places like John deere and CaseIH have 10-15 mechanics in the shop. There is more human interaction than you think.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn and Acylum

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I drive by Menards on Hickman 4 times a day and usually all times that parking lot is still full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron