Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The problem with these people is social distancing will be a self fulfilling prophecy.
If we do things right, and keep the numbers down, these people will say See! This was never a problem! The media just blew it out of proportion!

Oh well.

I'll take it if it works out that way.

Spam

May 21, 2008
The problem with these people is social distancing will be a self fulfilling prophecy.
If we do things right, and keep the numbers down, these people will say See! This was never a problem! The media just blew it out of proportion!

Oh well.

Does people saying "this was never a problem" really matter?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What about sprinklerfitters?

Yes. I think they would fall under Public Works item 3 - "Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences"

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My neighbor, who works administration for a hospital group in Iowa, said the Iowa hospitals are currently running at less than 50% occupancy. He said NYC usually runs mid 80’s in regular times. He thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion. With that said, I trust his opinion about the same as most of the people in here.
I can't speak to all Iowa hospitals, but I know that since the first of the year, the hospital I work for has been averaging above 90% full. They've tried to scale that back in the last two weeks, to prepare for the surge, as well as getting more beds available, so that may contribute to lower capacity numbers right now.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep, they're communicating in a really horrible way when it comes to this stuff.

The first statement in your post to me sounds like not being direct about the consequences of inaction.
Yeah I believe essentially they're telling the public they don't believe this is serious enough to shut down non-essential businesses at this time. They don't believe it's going to get as bad here as it has in other states, while in reality it is. We may not have the population of states like NY or CA but our hospitalization rates are nearly identical, which means this virus is just as serious as it is in places like those.

I'm wondering if the first recorded death from yesterday evening with another spike in cases / hospitalization will change their minds.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yeah I believe essentially they're telling the public they don't believe this is serious enough to shut down non-essential businesses at this time. They don't believe it's going to get as bad here as it has in other states, while in reality it is. We may not have the population of states like NY or CA but our hospitalization rates are nearly identical, which means this virus is just as serious as it is in places like those.

I'm wondering if the first recorded death from yesterday evening with another spike in cases / hospitalization will change their minds.
You say our hospitalization rates are the same but we’ve also not been testing as extensively. That means we are likely only testing more extreme cases so ours should go down as we begin to have the ability to test more.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
County Supervisors?
Mayor of Iowa City and the Mayor of Des Moines I believe, so I worded it incorrectly. I read yesterday that the Cedar Rapids Mayor and the Dubuque Mayor or taking a similar stance with them. From what I learned yesterday, they do have the power to shut down their county if they deem necessary, however they don't think it will send a powerful enough message to the people. They would rather Governor Reynolds make that call so people will take that stay at home mandate more seriously.

Sooner or later though, these mayors are going to have to stand their ground and make a decision, which I believe in those areas would be the correct one to make. If Governor Reynolds doesn't think this is serious enough at this point to shut down the entire state, even though a third of the counties in Iowa have a case, then these other people that have power need to act in their city's / county's best interest.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You say our hospitalization rates are the same but we’ve also not been testing as extensively. That means we are likely only testing more extreme cases so ours should go down as we begin to have the ability to test more.
Lots of other states are like us in that category though. They have a higher population, which leads to more critically ill people, leading to more of a percentage hospitalized. If the entire nation would be able to test extremely well, you'd probably still be seeing similar hospitalization rates across the board.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Mayor of Iowa City and the Mayor of Des Moines I believe, so I worded it incorrectly. I read yesterday that the Cedar Rapids Mayor and the Dubuque Mayor or taking a similar stance with them. From what I learned yesterday, they do have the power to shut down their county if they deem necessary, however they don't think it will send a powerful enough message to the people. They would rather Governor Reynolds make that call so people will take that stay at home mandate more seriously.

Sooner or later though, these mayors are going to have to stand their ground and make a decision, which I believe in those areas would be the correct one to make. If Governor Reynolds doesn't think this is serious enough at this point to shut down the entire state, even though a third of the counties in Iowa have a case, then these other people that have power need to act in their city's / county's best interest.
They are going off metrics and numbers, she isnt just going off her gut feeling. Dont say she isnt taking it seriously.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Oh well.

The naysayers can go play in traffic because there are already enough data points that show how bad things could have gotten.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
the sam's club Scan and Go app allows you to never have to have cashiers touch your stuff. it is fantastic and i wish more stores had it. you go in scan your stuff with your phone, then the person at the doors scans your phone to pay on your pre-loaded credit card.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They are going off metrics and numbers, she isnt just going off her gut feeling. Dont say she isnt taking it seriously.
I'm never said she wasn't taking it seriously. I said she does not believe at this point in time, the crisis in Iowa is serious enough to the point where she must implement a shelter in place order. And I'm not exactly sure if they're looking at future metrics or current metrics, because future metrics predict Iowa to not do so well right now. We're behind on testing and receiving results, so the current numbers we have are not an indicator of how well we are actually doing.

She's obviously in an incredibly tough position and I wouldn't wish that job on any of us. I just think what's going to end up happening is a state shutdown similar to surrounding states, and many people are going to wish it came sooner, that's all.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Oh well.

The Y2K event was similar. As someone in IT, I can unequivocally say that had everyone not put in the time they did to correct the issue, there would have been major repercussions to normal daily life. But because most people never saw all that work, they dismissed the threat entirely.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm never said she wasn't taking it seriously. I said she does not believe at this point in time, the crisis in Iowa is serious enough to the point where she must implement a shelter in place order. And I'm not exactly sure if they're looking at future metrics or current metrics, because future metrics predict Iowa to not do so well right now. We're behind on testing and receiving results, so the current numbers we have are not an indicator of how well we are actually doing.

She's obviously in an incredibly tough position and I wouldn't wish that job on any of us. I just think what's going to end up happening is a state shutdown similar to surrounding states, and many people are going to wish it came sooner, that's all.

Part of the reason for this is Iowa is already a C-hair away from shelter in place.

All that shelter in place will do at this point is close malls, which is a good and necessary step, but we're 90% of the way there as it is.

Our resources are probably better directed at ramping up testing, and getting supplies to our hospitals.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Lots of other states are like us in that category though. They have a higher population, which leads to more critically ill people, leading to more of a percentage hospitalized. If the entire nation would be able to test extremely well, you'd probably still be seeing similar hospitalization rates across the board.

Wouldn't places with higher populations also be expected to have a higher number of hospital beds and resources as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron