Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jeremy, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +1,746 / 174 / -6
    Totally feasible solution that I tend to agree with. If they're right and the peak is around April 18 or 19 in Iowa, we should be able to start phasing stuff back in by early May.

IMO, there are too many people that are thinking like the poster I originally quoted. We can't and aren't going to stay shutdown like this until there is no risk. We'd be into a significant world-wide depression by then. This includes sports. Leagues, owners and university athletic departments have far too much to lose to not have people walking through the turnstiles come this fall.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +16,288 / 1,281 / -35
    I go back and forth if sports will be back. But the ONLY way there is a chance is if we do this right and not screw up.

The other thing that must happen is more and more testing. I still think there would be a lot of value from mass testing. And we need to figure out the antibody testing as well.

I've said this before but last week and the week before I had a couple of weird things going on. I had a pretty constant sinus headache/pressure and a very weird heavy chest feeling. The sinus pressure could have easily been the weather, but it was more than I usually have. And the chest pressure was like nothing I've ever had, but could have easily been anxiety (even though I've never had chest pressure with anxiety before). I didn't have a fever or a cough. Do I think I had COVID-19? Probably not. But am I sure I didn't have it? Not really. And I think being tested would have been useful and I think being tested for the antibodies would be very useful now. The one person, I know that tested positive had chest pressure and sinus issues (along with a fever).

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4,085 / 110 / -2
    Don't listen to me, it's probably that I'm not smart enough and need to distill everything down to a simple level.

I work in research in energy. Not really anything specific/technical that applies to COVID, but I'm used to having to understand things done by people that are a lot smarter than I am!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. FOREVERTRUE

FOREVERTRUE Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +677 / 33 / -0
    And this is why I am not a fan of hers. She is not a good communicator among other issues, but some things she gets criticized for are just silly in my mind. I think the actions taken so far are acceptable, maybe a touch on the slow side, but if she could communicate better she could possibly come out of this looking good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4,085 / 110 / -2
    I think these are some good ideas. I'd like to see us work back into things. Honestly, I hope one benefit of all this is there is a big push to make teleworking way more common for people that can do so. Short-term it helps this situation, but long-term it seems like it would help a lot of peoples' quality of life. On one hand I'm thinking even if you open things wide open a lot of people will be really gunshy to go out much. On the other hand, people will have so much cabin fever they will be ready to get out and about.

6. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +18,789 / 573 / -13
    There's no way that happens. Plenty of people likely contracted this thing and started spreading it before any actions in most places was taken.

Also you have to factor in that people are gonna people and not follow rules, just like they don't slow down driving, or don't drink and drive, not steal, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1,625 / 181 / -30
    How can you open up bars? I don’t see anyway those can open up anytime soon. Maybe at all this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Statefan10

Statefan10 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6,243 / 322 / -0
    Once you start opening things back up, the social distancing of 10 people or less will gradually start increasing to more and more people, just like it was restricted to less people.

Bars will most likely have to religiously start holding their establishments to those capacities though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +18,789 / 573 / -13
    A positive of this is it is getting nicer out and people are finding ways to find things to do that aren't reliant on the typical activities that they are always running to, and hopefully finding out a huge crowd with a bunch of stimulation and noise is not needed to feel joy.

Some may even be spending time alone and finding that they can indeed function and even find ways to feel 'whole' in their own space and time.

Selfishly I'm thankful I grew up on a farm on lots of land and it's engrained in me to be content with simple alone time.

It's just awful that it's at the expense of a crisis from so many angles.

10. CyJack13

May 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1,625 / 181 / -30
    Any kind of social distancing will go out the window after a few drinks. Bar owners who missed out on months of revenue are going to skirt any sort of capacity reduction. Bar bathrooms are a perfect breeding ground for spreading this. This is just asking to start another outbreak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +18,789 / 573 / -13
    Maybe like a time limit for how long a patron can be in a place? Everyone gets 2 hours to be in a bar, but must drink or at least buy things the whole time, and then they have to leave, and let a new 'flight' in.

Sounds ridiculous, but that would keep money flowing from multiple people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +18,789 / 573 / -13
    FIFY! Hardy har har.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. CyJack13

May 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1,625 / 181 / -30
    Yeah that’s going to be easy to track.

14. madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +18,789 / 573 / -13
    Just spit balling. Not saying it's going to be easy. But if you only allowed in like 5 people at a time, that's something and better than what's happening right now.

If they don't abide by the rules, they get fined or shut down. Just like places that get caught for selling to underage people or whatever.

How you monitor it or track it, I don't know.

15. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21,846 / 652 / -2
    Checked back in at the end of the day, read a couple pages. See we are still yipping about wording on SIP.

I compare this to when I worked for somebody else. They talked about titles and I told them they could shove the title and just give me pay, could call me the company ahole if they wanted to. It's apparent here that there are a lot of title mongers concerned about the SIP,

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. motorcy90

motorcy90 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Male
    Wind Tech
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,073 / 164 / -114
    thats the thing we are honestly not called out that often for those situations, we had one call to Backbone last year, (Dundee had already responded), Marquette and Mar-Mak ambulance are the busiest with Pikes Pike and Effigy Mounds and even then are maybe once a month during the summer, and mainly for medical issues.

lived out that way and traveled around a bit in SoCal, I know what most of the trail heads are like, spacing can still be done out there, and the brief passing you might have with some one the honest risk of coming into contact is small. and you mean the resources that are already allocated for stuff other then the virus anyway?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. NEPatriotscy

NEPatriotscy Active Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Ratings:
    +120 / 28 / -3
    Fewer than 100 cases by now is an educated guess if everything except grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, law enforcement, and perhaps hardware stores closed at the beginning. I realize that would be "painful" but I would take short term pain for long term gain.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Nearby
    Ratings:
    +3,234 / 125 / -2
    Can't be. Minnesota is SIP. o_O

19. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Male
    Cornfield
    Ratings:
    +224 / 5 / -0
    Absentee ballots can not be mailed until April 23rd. You requested an absentee ballot is all that you have done. You may call your Auditors office and see if they received your request.

20. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6,174 / 228 / -5
    Are you under the impression that everybody under a strict SIP magically develops some sort of immunity? Or that anybody previously infected can’t spread the organism under a strict SIP? I can’t seem to find anything you’ve posted that comes close to anything based in scientific fact.

• Agree Agree x 2