Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You already know the answer of this question, but just guess the political affiliation of the governors for the 12 states left that haven't issued a stay at home or a shelter in place mandate.

A few of the remaining or way too late states didn't have big outbreaks. Several of them were pretty bad per capita (Florida). The number of infections per 100k does not seem to be the driving factor in all states. Like you said, it's something else.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So I'm curious-- what industry would be effected by a SIP that these people are trying to protect? What is operating now, that wouldn't be operating under a SIP, that is a substantial donor to Republican causes?
I assume they won't make any moves until they're told from higher powers to do so (and I'll leave it at that). I can't see any other logical reason for their inactivity.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Didn't hear today's presser. Heard schools closed through end of April. Does same apply to restaurant's too?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have no clue as to why this would effect donors either, but you can't objectively look at that list and say it's just a coincidence.

There's no way to go there without getting political so I'll leave that one alone.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if anyone else caught it, but hearing Reynolds say today that school decisions are best made locally might have been the chef's kiss of the entire coronavirus crisis. Too perfect.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought you said 45 other states have SIP. Math is not quite adding up here...

Just taking a guess but some of the data includes territories and DC so there would be more like 60 instead of 50.

Puerto Rico and DC have more Americans than quite a few states so it makes sense to include them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought you said 45 other states have SIP. Math is not quite adding up here...
45 other states have some sort of SIP mandate within their state, whether that be the entire state or portions of their state, such as Missouri. They declared a SIP for multiple counties. 38 states have now done state wide mandates.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't know if anyone else caught it, but hearing Reynolds say today that school decisions are best made locally might have been the chef's kiss of the entire coronavirus crisis. Too perfect.
School decisions as in whether or not they're going to reopen? I listened to the entire press conference but thought she was referring to something else..

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And it didn’t happen. And won’t. Reynolds is going to get rocked by whoever runs against her in 2022.

You thought she would when those two morons tried to publicly shame her? I knew then that they made it worse. You don’t pull that crap publicly. Have the mayors send a letter and you will get somewhere if she would do it for anyone. No matter the party, a stunt like that from the opposing party will delay what you are asking for.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
45 other states have some sort of SIP mandate within their state, whether that be the entire state or portions of their state, such as Missouri. They declared a SIP for multiple counties. 38 states have now done state wide mandates.

So wait, you are using this metric to criticize a Governor of a state? You can agree that's a totally misleading figure, right? So if the Mayor of Des Moines put a SIL in place it would count towards your figure even though Governor Reynolds would have nothing to do with that?

Why not just say 38 states when you are talking about a statewide order? Well, I know why, because 45 sounds better...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You thought she would when those two morons tried to publicly shame her? I knew then that they made it worse. You don’t pull that crap publicly. Have the mayors send a letter and you will get somewhere if she would do it for anyone. No matter the party, a stunt like that from the opposing party will delay what you are asking for.

You say this as if they weren't doing that behind the scenes and getting an inadequate response.

It isnt a 'political stunt' to demand the correct actions be taken, publicly if necessary. These are public officials, after all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So if the Mayor of Des Moines put a SIL in place it would count towards your figure even though Governor Reynolds would have nothing to do with that?.

Except, as i recall, she has also blocked this from happening at the local level.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Apparently Reynolds stood up a meeting of Democratic legislators a day or two ago. Which is consistent with the way her and her party have governed since assuming power. It's no surprise Democratic concerns fell on deaf ears and they felt like they had to take things into their own hands. They have constituents too.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Except, as i recall, she has also blocked this from happening at the local level.

But we can agree saying "45 states have this order" when talking about whether a state Governor should do this when only 38 Governors have actually acted?

Status
Not open for further replies.