Coping with losses

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I think as a fan base we need some help in doing this, what do some of you guys that don't participate in the post loss meltdowns do to cope with your Cyclone frustrations. I myself enjoy playing Call of Duty on my son's X-box 360. Something about the sound of a headshot with my trusty Remington 870 with a pistol-grip makes me feel better about the latest loss.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
I look at my wife, who won a long battle with cancer and realize that was a bigger win than the one we could have just had. I also look at a picture of my son, who passed away 4 years ago and realize it's just a ******* game.

A little perspective is a beautiful thing.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I look at my wife, who won a long battle with cancer and realize that was a bigger win than the one we could have just had. I also look at a picture of my son, who passed away 4 years ago and realize it's just a ******* game.
But really... This post should speak to everyone on here. I'm sorry for your loss and cheers to your wife.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Coping..... this fan-base does not cope they only meltdown..... I on the other hand avoid.....

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't get on CF until the next morning so I can avoid all the instant overreaction from all the drama queens. Their rediculous posts upset me more than any loss.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

This X 100.

I love the passion our fanbase has, but there are so many things in life that are bigger than ISU athletics.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
None of this matters in March, and it's the knee jerk cry-babies that set the expectation of nothing else matters after last season yet here they are after every loss melting down, only to disappear after the next win.

Last edited:

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Everyone should read this post. I don't even want to imagine what you have gone through. Hug your wife everyday.

dshindy

Jun 23, 2014
Johnston
I don't get on CF until the next morning so I can avoid all the instant overreaction from all the drama queens. Their rediculous posts upset me more than any loss.

I get on shortly following the loss just to laugh at the thread titles. Doesn't cheer me up though unfortunately.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Scotch tends to do the trick.

Our just being a Cyclone fan for more than 10 years will also numb you out a bit.
We lost to a ranked team, in their house, far away from home. I'm not sure what in ISU's history suggest we should be really upset. This team is still gonna be the first team ever to make it 5 trips in a row to the dance for ISU.

Cbbtruth

Feb 11, 2016
Imo we were in a three horse race with ku and okla at the beginning of the year. All three teams had a lot of experience coming back and ku probably had a slight edge due to depth. Then we lose Naz. Now imagine one of those other teams losing a starter, especially with our lack of depth. Then we have a major regression from the D player of the year. Not to over state it but it's almost like we lost two starters. I thought 14-4 would be very good at the beginning of the season, after Naz I thought 11-7 was more accurate. Now 10-8 is probably realistic.

Injuries happen, we can't stock pile talent like ku can. We needed everything to work out right to win the conference. Things didn't work out right

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Anyone looking to cope with losses should just read this and know that we are wasting way too much time on minutia.