Coordinators - for Rhoads......

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Someone that has connections in Texas would still be a huge asset, looking at Paul's pass recruits on rivals, not too many, at Pitt his pipeline state was Ohio.

dxmonger

Dec 18, 2008
Loney isn't coming back, let it go. And as far as DMC as DC, I think the DMC people got what they wanted. I think that's enough.

His parents still live in Marshalltown and his daughter's family (w/grandkids) still live in Ames. There's more to life than $$$.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I would like to see a non-typical structure in our coaching staff. I liked that idea of PR being the head and DC but I think for his first coaching job that might be a bit much. How about we get willis and make him the DC with PR being a bit of an assistant DC. I would like to see PR be in more control of the defense than most head coaches. I like the fact that he runs a 4-2-5 defense. That would be huge for us since we have a huge stable of defensive backs.

For OC, I would love to see Franklin. I think he's a great OC that just ended up in a bad spot down and Auburn. I would like to see a bunch of gimmicks in our offense. It would make it exciting for the fans and hopefully get our offense to stick out to recruits. We need to do something to make our team and school stick out from the rest and a gimmick/trick offense would definitely do that.

Reactions: CycloneErik

dxmonger

Dec 18, 2008
I would like to see a bunch of gimmicks in our offense.

Does that mean west coast offense in the Big XII?
Texas Tech offense?

Not everyone can pull it off - takes the right talent and coaching.

It's fun to watch when well executed. A disaster otherwise.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
mike patton-oline coach from oklahoma
cale gundy as recruiting cooedinator.qb coach,backfield coach
nolan cromwell as offensive coordinator-al big 8 at kansas-maybe an all american-all prosafety at the l.a . rams,assistant coach at rams,special teams coach at green bay,tight ends coach and wr coach at green bay-went to the seahawks for a stint.has been one year at texas A and M with mike sherman. have rhoades be a defensive coordinator and have him bring the brightest auburn coaches that know how to recruit florida,georgia,alabama,mississippi,louisana.think patton and gundy would be good for sw recruiting. rhoads could pick up midwest recruiting.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I was thinking of different offensive sets. i.e. pistol, the now infamous wildcat, and maybe even some 2 and 3 back sets. Maybe throw out some wishbone or veer with Schwartz, Bo, and ARob with tiller running the option. Maybe I'm crazy but it would be fun to see something like that every once in a while.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Rhoads will most likely be interested in a couple friends that he has coached on and off with for over 20 years. Guys that could earn mega dollar increases in salary for never really running an established offense or defense

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Rhoads will most likely be interested in a couple friends that he has coached on and off with for over 20 years. Guys that could earn mega dollar increases in salary for never really running an established offense or defense

Just because Mean Gene did that doesn't mean Paul will.

He's a smart guy who I think will make smart decisions...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Major trade of the Week announced by AD:

Gene Chizik for Paul Rhoads and unnamed assistants ands unnamed players plus $750k cash. JP, you are the cats me-ow.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I think it is important that we bring in an OC that runs an exciting offense. We have been very conventional in the past and I believe that is a huge mistake. In order to get big time offensive players to come here, especially from the warmth of the south, I think the system can serve as a huge tool in recruiting. A great example of this is Mizzou (those ******s).

I would prefer functional and effective over exciting. All 3 would be ok but the 1st and 2nd on my list are a must. It's a lot warmer in Columbia tan it is in Ames.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Don't care what style of offense we will eventually run, as long as we win. Actually, the last time I was really jacked up after a win was when Ryan Kock ran all over Mizzou. Their defensive players had their heads lowered when they weren't yelling at each other because they couldn't stop a simple, straight ahead, power running game.

JTS can turn into a wind tunnel quickly, and with our stable of RB's (Bo, A Rob, Schwartz - the Crimson & Gold Bus), I would say running the ball and controlling the time of possession battle would be beneficial to the team and program. All of this 'Spread' and 'Wide-open' offense is en vogue, and it happens to be serious trend and not a flash in the pan. However, I would love to increase the physical nature of our future style.

Like I said in previous threads, I'm a Steeler fan. When we win, it might be by just a few points, but the opponents all feel it for days later.

To Hell with this bottom of the B12 North, I'm ready to just beat on some people. The wins will come, then. We didn't get Barnett, but the article someone linked to yesterday put it well. He turned around Northwestern in the 90's. NORTHWESTERN. As bad as some think ISU has been or is, we have never been as low as Northwestern was then. Their current Coach Fitzgerald, who played for Barnett during their rise, said it best. He said Coach Barnett changed the attitude of the players, program, and fans. Expect to win. This, I believe, is what Coach Rhoads has to do immediately and must beginning with his first impression today.

Best of luck and I am with you.