Cooking Prime Rib

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
My inlaws have been making Prime Rib the last 4 or 5 Christmas's. They cook it for 12 hours at as low as temperature as possible in an oven. The recipie calls for 150 degree heat, but I think most ovens only go down to 175 degees now. They put it in a plastic cooking bag with lots of spice. Comes out with an awesome taste and moist.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
I've always done it just the opposite. Cook at very high temp (550 degrees) for 5 or 6 minutes then, shut the oven off, leave it in the oven for 2 hours, but do not under any circumstances, open the oven.

This +1.

Have done it SIMILAR to this method multiple times and the crowd always RAVES about the results. Just made one yesterday this way, to go with our grilled lobster tails. Fantastic!

My method -- 500f for 4-5 minutes per lb., then 2 hours with oven turned off and DO NOT open it until time is up. Always comes out MR in the middle.

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
My inlaws have been making Prime Rib the last 4 or 5 Christmas's. They cook it for 12 hours at as low as temperature as possible in an oven. The recipie calls for 150 degree heat, but I think most ovens only go down to 175 degees now. They put it in a plastic cooking bag with lots of spice. Comes out with an awesome taste and moist.
Interested in learning more.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Interested in learning more.

Pretty simple really. They coat it with a spice mix(mostly pepper, salt, and garlic). I'm sure you can find a bunch of mixes on the interent. They stick it in a cooking bag(the type you use for a turkey) and then put it in the oven. I think the recipies calls for 12 hours at 150, but their oven only goes down to 175, so they've been putting it in for 9 or 10 hours.

It comes out tender and tastes great.

Nobody has talked much about here, but you have to have fresh Horse radish sauce to top off Prime Rib. That just makes it for me.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If you smoke actual prime rib, you should be kicked in the junk.

Alternately, one of those light taps where the recipient has about 3 seconds of "sweet, musta missed, that didn't even hurt", then they fall to the floor in excruciating pain. Hard to pull off, but well worth it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The Chef out at Tournament Club of Iowa when I worked there cooked his prime rib at least part of the time on a smoker and it is one of the best prime ribs I have ever had...

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
I agree. A prime rib should never be smoked. All you're doing is taking a really high quality and expensive piece of meat and drying it out.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I'm cooking a 12 lb. prime rib in the oven tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm planning to go with the method described here:

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

Basically cook it low and slow, then rest, then finish at high temp for 10 minutes or so to get the outside presentable.

This will be my first attempt, so any advice is appreciated.

And, yes, I know it's technically a rib eye roast and not prime rib since it's not prime grade.

This is exactly how I would do it. I just read the guy's article as well, and it makes a lot of sense.

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006
Cooked a 6 pounder Christmas Eve. 4 hours at 200, rest for 30 minutes, the 8 minutes at 500 to sear. Came out perfect. Pink from edge to edge.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron