Congrats to the nearly 20,000 clone fans that traveled.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
We have gone to Tempe, Shreveport, and NYC. We all agreed that Memphis was the most fun.(Except for the game) Our only complaint was the parade was too long. It was a little chilly to wait 1-2 minutes between each of the bands. The Bloody Mary's at Alfreds helped but not quite enough.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If the stadium holds 61,000, we may have had closer to 30k there. Certainly 25k. Our side was full of cardinal. I suspect that there were as many ISU fans on the Tulsa side as there were locals on the ISU side. If so, then we may have been pushing 30k.

Agreed. Half of that stadium was 90% full, and looked like all iowa state fans. That would be 27,000 (30k*.9). Add the ISU fans in the tulsa section and it might be even more. 25k easily.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The game sucked overall, but the trip was well worth it, and I am now a Fan of Memphis!!!
I agree. Good stadium and Cyclone Nation taking over Beale street was a great experience. If the temps were in the 50-60 range as they usually are, it would have been even better, but the weather could also have been worse. I see it's going to be in the 50's in Memphis next week.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We have gone to Tempe, Shreveport, and NYC. We all agreed that Memphis was the most fun.(Except for the game) Our only complaint was the parade was too long. It was a little chilly to wait 1-2 minutes between each of the bands. The Bloody Mary's at Alfreds helped but not quite enough.

I had a great time at the parade, but that was likely as much due to the beer vendors streetside with yuengling than anything else.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The hangover is wearing off, both from the alcohol and the game. It was an awesome weekend! Now if I get the robo-call from Rhoads aplogizing for the offense not showing up that would be the perfect bookend to the whole bowl season!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"Hi!

Paul Rhoads here. Sorry for Clone Nation that the offense did not show up. We had our chances, but the running game was rough. We had a couple fellows not at peak condition, but, hey, we led the first quarter. We have also beat these guys before and we will make sure we do it in Tulsa this year. Buy your season tickets now. Have a great year.

PR."

badgerclone

Dec 16, 2008
Made the trip with my sixteen year old son, enjoyed tailgating with friends. Game is another story, can't recall last time I was so disappointed. There was no fire on the field, players and coaches were too tight. Disappointed with product on field, fans held their own team did not.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agreed. Half of that stadium was 90% full, and looked like all iowa state fans. That would be 27,000 (30k*.9). Add the ISU fans in the tulsa section and it might be even more. 25k easily.

I was doing the same math, but don't forget our side had more seats - just to guess, maybe 34k on our side and 28k on the other. So if we are 80-90% on our side, then that's 27-31k. And we had a few on the other side too.

The official attendance was 54k. We had at LEAST half the people there. So that's 27-30k.

I thought the actual attendance was probably more like 45-50k. But I would still put ISU at 25k of that, minimum.

By three different estimates, we had minimum 25k in attendance, and very likely close to 30k.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was doing the same math, but don't forget our side had more seats - just to guess, maybe 34k on our side and 28k on the other. So if we are 80-90% on our side, then that's 27-31k. And we had a few on the other side too.

The official attendance was 54k. We had at LEAST half the people there. So that's 27-30k.

I thought the actual attendance was probably more like 45-50k. But I would still put ISU at 25k of that, minimum.

By three different estimates, we had minimum 25k in attendance, and very likely close to 30k.
I don't know where they came up with that 54k attendance figure. The Tulsa side looked like there was maybe 5,000 people.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't know where they came up with that 54k attendance figure. The Tulsa side looked like there was maybe 5,000 people.
Did not Tulsa have to buy 12k in tickets also? They could have been stuck with 7k in tickets. Would 47k in seats sound more like it?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Did not Tulsa have to buy 12k in tickets also? They could have been stuck with 7k in tickets. Would 47k in seats sound more like it?
I think the original allotment for each side was 10k. I would guess Tulsa was stuck with about 5-7k.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the original allotment for each side was 10k. I would guess Tulsa was stuck with about 5-7k.

Fans in the good seats (between the 35 yard lines, medium height) wearing blue are either University of Memphis season ticket holders or Tulsa fans who bought through Stub Hub. I don't think the good seats were part of the allotment for the TU ticket office, so they may have gotten stuck with even more.

I was surprised actually at how many Tulsa fans were at the game, particularly since you didn't see them around town on the day before. My theory is that many of them drove over on gameday because it is only 6 hours away, then stayed for New Year's Eve.

DirtyDanchez

Aug 30, 2012
El Rancho Dan-tastico
Tulsa sold 6500 tickets through our ticket office, our fan base is old people so a lot of them saw the forecast and did not even attend, also got to remember a lot of our fans have been to Memphis multiple times for either the Liberty in 2005 or for C-USA basketball tournaments.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Tulsa sold 6500 tickets through our ticket office, our fan base is old people so a lot of them saw the forecast and did not even attend, also got to remember a lot of our fans have been to Memphis multiple times for either the Liberty in 2005 or for C-USA basketball tournaments.

Hadn't thought about your fans already having gone to Memphis for C-USA tournaments. Memphis was brand new for most of us young, whippersnappers.