Conference Schedule & TV Times

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't mind streaming services; however it IS easier to just turn on the TV and find the game. With Netflix, there is an app on a smart TV to stream, so you don't have to cast from another device. Will ESPN+ work this way, or will people have to cast to their TV if they want a more enjoyable viewing experience other than staring at a smaller screen??

What is a major pain (in my opinion) is having three different sources for games this season:

1) Non-conference games on Cyclones.TV
2) Non-con and conference games on TV contract partners.
3) Conference games on ESPN+

Why can't everything just be in one place???

The answer to that is simple.....GREED

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Well, this is the future of TV IMO. a big sign up by cyclone fans will help in the next round of re-alignment - which will be more about schools with fan bases that will actually pay to watch their teams games on TV (ex. Iowa State) instead of schools that have very few interested fans but are in large media markets (ex. Rutgers).

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: jim4 and awd4cy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Believe me guys, you will get used to it quick and actually find it pretty convenient. ESPN has an app on every streaming device and their phone app is Chromecast compatible.

There's a TON of content on ESPN+ as well. All the 30 for 30s. Every MLS match. A MLB game every day. Tons of college sports. Every game is archived and on demand 30 minutes after its over. Also, you get access to all of what used to be 'Insider' content on ESPN.com.

The Big 12 made the right move here. They're pulling in just as much money as everybody else and are getting out ahead of the tech curve. This is the way all sports is going and by being an early adapter they're really carving out a nice niche. This is a MILLION times better scenario than the Pac 12 has and probably better than the ACC as you don't have to fight for carriage.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Depends on the TV, Samsung most likely yes, LG probably not but I don’t think they let you download apps anyways just what comes on them.

I have the ESPN App on my Sony TV - Use it when weather get bad and Directv doesn't work. Also with all of the ISU online events going to ESPN+ (Big12 now) next year that were on Cylones.tv there will not be a lot of difference in what you are paying and will have a ton more content.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I have the ESPN App on my Sony TV - Use it when weather get bad and Directv doesn't work.
I know that LG pulled a couple of apps from their smart TVs that came previously installed, and I don’t think they have a store to download more. We have an LG in the bedroom but the rest are Samsung.

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames
Is this the same as ESPN+ or is that an additional app?

I'm usually bad at explaining things, but I'll give it a try.

In the ESPN app there are two sign-ins, one for a tv provider and one for espn+. They are independent from each other so you can either have one of these or both. The TV provider sign-in will give you access to what you have in your tv subscription, like espn, espn2, etc. The ESPN+ sign-in will give you access to the content that is on ESPN+, you would not have access to the "cable channels"(espn, espn2 etc). If you are signed into both, you would have access to all of these.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
$13/mo for disney/hulu/espn+ is a steal.

cut the cord on cable, fire up a roku/apple tv/whatever and your'e good to go with all the cyclone content you need on espn+.

its going to be great.

oh and without the longhorn network, ISU is in the mac and there's no bowled in endzone, no gameday, no matt campbell, no prohm, no nothing.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I don't mind streaming services; however it IS easier to just turn on the TV and find the game. With Netflix, there is an app on a smart TV to stream, so you don't have to cast from another device. Will ESPN+ work this way, or will people have to cast to their TV if they want a more enjoyable viewing experience other than staring at a smaller screen??

What is a major pain (in my opinion) is having three different sources for games this season:

1) Non-conference games on Cyclones.TV
2) Non-con and conference games on TV contract partners.
3) Conference games on ESPN+

Why can't everything just be in one place???
App for all major streaming boxes.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Believe me guys, you will get used to it quick and actually find it pretty convenient. ESPN has an app on every streaming device and their phone app is Chromecast compatible.

There's a TON of content on ESPN+ as well. All the 30 for 30s. Every MLS match. A MLB game every day. Tons of college sports. Every game is archived and on demand 30 minutes after its over. Also, you get access to all of what used to be 'Insider' content on ESPN.com.

The Big 12 made the right move here. They're pulling in just as much money as everybody else and are getting out ahead of the tech curve. This is the way all sports is going and by being an early adapter they're really carving out a nice niche. This is a MILLION times better scenario than the Pac 12 has and probably better than the ACC as you don't have to fight for carriage.
Exactly.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

The Big 12 didn't get any kind of bump for sending their tier 3 product to ESPN+. They gave ESPN 3 more CCG's and all their tier 3 product for $40M. The championship games alone previously netted a lot more than that. It will not do better than the ACC Network IMO. Hopefully, ESPN has signaled to the Big 12 take this deal and we will make sure next contract round they continue to fund them at a competitive P5 level. Maybe there is encouragement from ESPN for PAC schools to look at the Big 12 with ESPN+ having the Big 12 and the PAC refusing to have ESPN run their conference network.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Does anyone know Is LHN included with ESPN+?

It is not.

---

If you guys want ISU to continue getting $40 million a year for TV rights, you gotta be okay with this. ESPN could have very easily cut the amount of money they gave the Big 12. They didn't.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Viewing numbers will be down on b12 games this year. Mark my words!
$13/mo for disney/hulu/espn+ is a steal.

cut the cord on cable, fire up a roku/apple tv/whatever and your'e good to go with all the cyclone content you need on espn+.

its going to be great.

oh and without the longhorn network, ISU is in the mac and there's no bowled in endzone, no gameday, no matt campbell, no prohm, no nothing.
You do this then you won’t get to watch any regular espn games or any game outside espn+. Also if you live in an area where you can’t get antenna reception you can’t watch the regular local channels

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Viewing numbers will be down on b12 games this year. Mark my words!

You do this then you won’t get to watch any regular espn games or any game outside espn+. Also if you live in an area where you can’t get antenna reception you can’t watch the regular local channels
Even that package for $13/mo plus another streaming package like Hulu live or YTTV for $45-50 a month is still way cheaper than the cable I was paying for up till the end.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron