Concrete Repair to Driveway

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
Has anyone gotten any concrete repair done to their driveway? Our driveway is in decent shape, but there are some sagging issues with a couple of the panels - especially close to the house. So, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this. We are having someone come give us a free estimate next week.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Has anyone gotten any concrete repair done to their driveway? Our driveway is in decent shape, but there are some sagging issues with a couple of the panels - especially close to the house. So, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this. We are having someone come give us a free estimate next week.
No, but I have the exact same issue, a couple slabs have shifted this winter due to the cold. There is about a 2 inch ledge in between them now.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
No, but I have the exact same issue, a couple slabs have shifted this winter due to the cold. There is about a 2 inch ledge in between them now.
Is it to the point that you want to get it fixed? For me, it will depend on price. Midwest Foundation Repair advertises a "PolyLevel Injection" technique. I'm really curious to see the cost of it because I have absolutely no clue of what something like that would be.

Reactions: TXCyclones

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
I would wait to see if the slabs shift once everything warms up. Sometimes those things are seasonal. I don't know if it's moisture in the ground or what.

Regardless, we used Iowa Foundation Repair to mudjack a few slabs that shifted due to drought ~5 years ago.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
The two slabs closest to my garage floor are now 1-2" ABOVE the garage. Think it happened just a couple weeks ago with the cold. Hopefully they settle back down a bit.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
I would wait to see if the slabs shift once everything warms up. Sometimes those things are seasonal. I don't know if it's moisture in the ground or what.

Regardless, we used Iowa Foundation Repair to mudjack a few slabs that shifted due to drought ~5 years ago.
Did you have good luck with the mudjacking?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The two slabs closest to my garage floor are now 1-2" ABOVE the garage. Think it happened just a couple weeks ago with the cold. Hopefully they settle back down a bit.
Oof. Do you get a lot of ice dams at the bottom of your door?

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There are companies who pump some kind of viscous material underneath those slabs to level them.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Did you have good luck with the mudjacking?
Yeah, we had good luck. It was for an attached shed a previous owner affixed to the house/garage via rebar. The mudjacking is pretty much a low cost Band-Aid instead of doing a full remove/replace. If we get another long dry spell, I'm guessing everything will sink again and I'll have to repeat the process. Tearing out the shed that's attached to both the garage and house as well as the roof line would be a real pain in the ass.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
The previous owners of our house had it done 5 or 6 years ago. We noticed this year that the soil is eroding out from under the edges. We are going to shovel gravel and dirt back under it and Then put some edging in to prevent the erosion. Just something to think about. The levelling has held up well but make sure you address the edges of the raised sections.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We had this done at our old house, but it was probably ten or so years ago. I don't remember the company that did it offhand. But much of the front walk needed help. I want to say it was around $700 back then, but that might not be right. It held up real well through when we sold the house and believe it still is. So, I'd say the project is worth it and should last a good long while.

Reactions: VeloClone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
There are companies who pump some kind of viscous material underneath those slabs to level them.

We had that done for our driveway and all I can say is it works great......for a temporary solution. There is no way they can guarantee every inch of slab will get the proper support. It will fail in the future. For sidewalks and smaller areas that isn't an issue. But with the cost of concrete, if it's that bad just break up the old and re-do it right.

Reactions: cymac2408

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Is it to the point that you want to get it fixed? For me, it will depend on price. Midwest Foundation Repair advertises a "PolyLevel Injection" technique. I'm really curious to see the cost of it because I have absolutely no clue of what something like that would be.

We had them lift up the sidewalk coming away from our front steps, and the adjoining driveway slab. Off the top of my head, I think it was around $1500. More expensive than the other quote I had, but the other guy didn't impress me that he was big on details. Worked really well. Only slight changes after 3 years.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA

I had a slab of sidewalk leveled and it was relatively cheap but it only lasts about 2 years. Not worth the money IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron